Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

SJTD

Re: Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Post by SJTD »

I suspect no one else is relieved when you pass emissions.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

SJTD wrote:I suspect no one else is relieved when you pass emissions.
Ba dum tis
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

Haha, lots of folks in AZ are. They use me as their spare parts carrier on the trails. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Got it on the road tonight. First the good

Oil pressure is up when hot.
Lights work
She starts again
Power windows work again
Transmission shift is way better

The Bad

Geeeez it runs like crap! The carb bogs down any time over 40 mph
Runs crappy
Constant hot oil smell
No speedo from np 208
Wobbles all over. May need DPA

FSJ caught in natural habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

Congradulations on the road trip!
Thoughts on it running like crap. Double check that your mechanical advance is working and advancing as much as you want.
Remind me what carb you have?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Congratulations Craig!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:Congradulations on the road trip!
Thoughts on it running like crap. Double check that your mechanical advance is working and advancing as much as you want.
Remind me what carb you have?
MC 2150

fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

Is it making TITD?
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Reminds me of this one. Image

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

fxtechphx wrote:Is it making TITD?
I want it to. :fsj:

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Update:

With Tad's help and pdf I got the carb reset. It runs MUCH better now. The fault is mine on that. I took a nicely overhauled carb and screwed with the wrong adjustments when it would not start several months ago. Put everything back to spec and that helps a lot. Timing is a bit off but still playing with that.
Wobbles: It has square tires right now. Tires Friday. There is no wobble or give in any of the tie rods or ball joints. I know, not conclusive but there is not a spec of grease in any of them. I might try that. Thought I read that a XJ steering U joint 91-95 would work on our FSJ's. Is that worth looking at? It feels like I am steering a 40 foot wide vehicle.
Speedo: Not found a gear yet. Tranny shops? 4x4 shops? ideas?
Hot oil smell: No idea. I think when I dropped the oil for the oil pump replacement I got some oil on the crossover pipe.

No pics tonight. To tired and start school at work soon. Not much time to work on it with school in the morning and work at night equal 15 hour days and a tired Jeeper.

will e

Post by will e »

That's great news. You are getting new tires on friday?

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:That's great news. You are getting new tires on friday?
Or Saturday.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Timing done today. Also found after all the work on the carb base gasket, it is leaking again. Grrrr. Timing was at 0 degrees. Running crappy. Seems to like 12 degrees btdc at idle. Found this kick butt timing light on eBay that is basic enough to work with the MSD-6.
ImageImage

Curly

Post by Curly »

I had that light. Loved it, used it for years. It was tough enough to be used in my classroom.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Curly wrote:I had that light. Loved it, used it for years. It was tough enough to be used in my classroom.
Yes. I thought I had to have an expensive one to test with the MSD installed. Nope. This one was $20.

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

I think I still have that same model, or one very similar. Used it many times on my '70 Cutlass (first car) and a '79 Bronco (winter beater). And many friends' cars in college.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Right?!! I have a fancy Actron/snap on that errors on multiple spark ignitions, but my cheapo works for MSD and even odd fire just fine. I loved my die cast Craftsman but lost it forever ago. The things you don't appreciate until they're gone.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Nice light! The Sears Best seal of approval brings me back to shopping for stuff in those 3" thick Sears catalogs.

Oh and bonus points for that pic you posted. In the background, I can see wire going to the heater core housing plug from a cable up above...that wire got snipped on my truck sometime it the past, before me, and I never bothered to see where it went since my heat and blower motor work fine. Now I have a clue. Thanks!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Glad I could help.