Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Post by az chip »

I purchased this Cherokee in Northern Arizona. It has been sitting for 8 years. Just brought it home wednesday. You probably saw my thread in show and tell. This will be the build thread. Had a uneventful trip home but lost a tire a mile from home. Service call to change the tire took about an hour and half. Overall a great trip.

Pulling it out from the hiding place.

Last edited by az chip on Thu May 25, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Re: Big Orange Cherokee

Post by will e »

Thanks for saving it! Let me know if I can help with anything.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Nice find.....I need a widetrack[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:Thanks for saving it! Let me know if I can help with anything.

You have no idea!

Paint shop
Body shop
Parts
Lift kit
Tires

But if I wanted to do an original restoration, this one is it. Original EVERYTHING.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Wow, looks quite nice. I wonder if that sun shade was in the windshield that whole time? Hopefully the dash pad is in good shape because of the shade. That's cool to see the remains of the early 80s version of the Chief striping.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Twisted,

It was parked mostly in the shade. The dash pad is cracked out. The shades were there but had a huge hole and that is where the pad cracked.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

After a few hours of oil changing, coolant replacement, and wire checks, I started her up for about two minutes. That was nice. I think this motor is tired. Need to do a check to be sure. It at least needs all gaskets and rear main seal. Off to bed.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Lots of cleaning and checking. New belts, plugs and timing check. Rear window works with key but needs tracks. Engine runs but stumbles on any acceleration. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I have new goal and role model. I don't know who owns this, but I like! Red is growing on me. Looks like a Waggoner grille though. Still, makes the heart pick up some RPM.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I think that is one of user sportsidedan's trucks. Look for his build threads - they'll make you cry. :P
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Looks like a good start on the interior at least. What are your goals as far as lift/tire size? Also, the door handle is on upside down on the passenger side door.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Lift SOA, Tire size likely 35's. Install a NP208 when I can find one. LOL, I saw the handle. The electric door locks need a little help. The interior carpet is coming out. No way to get that smell out. Overall this Jeep is in great shape. Just needs the love it has never had. Need a whole new exhaust system from the manifold back. The Cat is gone and they went dual pipe and mufflers but that is all rusted out. PO's wife said he never maintained it. I can see that. She is a very nice lady. Gave me lettuce from her own garden.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

twisted frame wrote:I think that is one of user sportsidedan's trucks. Look for his build threads - they'll make you cry. :P
His shop made me cry. His vehicles made me feel like I am just a poser in his world. :cry:

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Did a little clean up on my dash trim. Testors paint pin from hobby lobby. 4.95. ImageImageImageImage

will e

Post by will e »

Looking good!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Just in case someone is doing their instrument lighting as well I had three bulb sockets missing from mine.Thats why no lights on that side. These sockets go in the panel itself and hold 194 bulbs. They get the power from the copper IC trace on the back. No luck except TGW with OEM part number J369186 or J369186A. I found alternate numbers at O'Reilly's and NAPA. O'Reillys is a AC Delco LS 130, NAPA is a Echlin number ECH LS6500. Did not want to wait on TGW. In case you want to do some more research these are T10 instrument bulb sockets. I also spotted the T10 sockets on Amazon and ebay. Just unsure of the fit.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I have a bunch here. You should of ask when you were here last week. LOL You know where I live.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I didn't know then Jerry. And 57 miles one way is a long way when NAPA is only 7!

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

az chip wrote:Looks like a Waggoner grille though.
That was the factory Cherokee grille for 1979 and 1980.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Looking to have a overhaul done one my carb. My busy season at work just got busier. Is National Carb a good place to have that done or is there a better preferred vendor?