Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

After getting a bunch of stuff done I went down to have the Jeep lubed before getting tires. Coming back from the lube the drive line started banging as I drove. No apparent reason. I got it home slowly. The banging speeds up and slows down with speed. Sucks. Changed both rear shaft u joints. No help. Removed front ds and tried it. Still there. Either trans, tc, or rear diff I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Re: Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Post by will e »

Well that sucks. I would be surprised if it is the TC. the NP208 is a good case.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Just putting this here to keep track of my build.
https://youtu.be/WioHd7msHYg

'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Busy week fixing and bleeding wheels and brakes. Pics and a sneak peek.
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

So after having a setback last week, a little success this week. The vibe/shake is gone. E brake pulled to tight broke some stuff in rear left wheel. Fixed that and it is all good. Had a good 20 mile test drive. Tested the oil pressure. When it got really hot it was 60 running and 35 at idle. Hopefully it stays ok. Got the new Cooper Discoverer STT Pros put on. She drives a lot better without square tires. She is not done, but I again want to thank everyone here and on Facebook for all the advice and help. This weekend going to have some fun in the desert at TITD. Image

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Go Craig!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

The tires are 33x12.50x15. They drive very nice.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Congrats! Go get some much deserved turkey and beer!

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I put 200 miles on the Jeep this weekend. The good, she drives nice. Cruised at 65 on the highway. The tires are awesome. Not a lot of road noise for this kind of tire.

The not so good. Carb base vacuum leak again. The exhaust smell in the cab is too much. I have really bad pinging under load when accelerating. The pinging stops if I back off the throttle some. The steering needs attention. She will go wherever the bumps take her.
ImageImage

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Reflecting on the two years I have owned this FSJ. I am proud to say I have done all the work myself. Sometimes three times. Installed the lift. Repaired a lot of wiring with some more left to go. Learned how to fix the oil pump. Figured out a ton of mechanical issues. Learned a lot. I am not as fast as a lot of you, but I get through it. I like where this project is headed. I probably say this too much, I value the help and friendship I have received on this forum. I can search here and get responses that help me to get moving again. I am quite busy this time of year as I am a freight aircraft mechanic. Hopefully updates will resume with regularity after Christmas.

Some recent stuff I have done is change out the bumpers with the style that has the rubber pieces. I also pulled off the original roof rack in preparation for painting the roof and installing a Evil Twin Fab roof rack. I am looking forward to that very much. Merry Christmas to all of you! May your season truly be bright.
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by az chip on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Have been following along as my Chief is undergoing some of the same modifications yours is.

How do you like the ride of the Rusty's lift so far? I have gotten used to the old worn out stock ride of my Chief, and I know I will be adding stiffness by going with a higher arched leaf, but was looking to retain close to a stock ride quality. Have been considering the skyjacker softride kit, but it's the priciest one out there.

Just don't want my teeth rattled too loose in everyday driving situations.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

On the road it is very nice. No problem at all. I need to add the drop pitman arm and get it aligned. Not much offroad yet. But what I have done has not been bad. Just realize it takes some time for springs to "break in".

Simba

Post by Simba »

Enjoyed reading your build thread! I always learn something from these! And would echo your comments about the help and friendship from those on the forum! Hope to see the Cherokee and meet you in Ouray! Oh, almost forgot...love the tan!
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

So you are going to add the pitman arm. Was looking at their kit and noticed they do not include it so I called them. Said it is not necessary for their kit. Which I don't disagree with them, but I think it might be necessary for my drive-ability requirements, lol. What would you say you actually gained out of the lift? They claim 3.5-4"...but interested to see what you got over the stock springs.

Looks great, interested to hear more about the ride as well. Not interested in parting with those wheels are you ;)...Had to give it a shot.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I disagree in regards to the lift on my truck. The drag link is to close to the tie rod. In my opinion. In certain situations I can see contact happening. I say the lift got me more than 3.5, especially in the rear. It will settle out though. That is probably why they claim what they do. Watch out for the spring bolt that goes in to the axle spring perch. That head was too big for the perch on my '81. I bought new spring bolts and I cannot remember where. Just know that you will probably have to modify one or the other. Mic them if you have one. Look back through my thread. I had to use straps and lumber to get the rears in. Not everyone has to or does things the hard way like me.

Looks great, interested to hear more about the ride as well. Not interested in parting with those wheels are you ;)...Had to give it a shot.
Sorry, no. I like 'em.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Great thread, glad you have been able to get out and enjoy it!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Renodemona wrote:Great thread, glad you have been able to get out and enjoy it!
Thanks Reno! I had to test some stuff out. She is currently back under the wrench.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

When are they not...LOL
I have new fuel pump, new fuel lines, new FiTech, new fittings all sitting in my garage waiting for temps above the 40s to be worked on. ;)
Do you happen to have a picture of the luggage rack? The defender rack is $$$$$$ :(
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

The new one I am installing? I am not sure if it is in production.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Renodemona wrote:When are they not...LOL
I have new fuel pump, new fuel lines, new FiTech, new fittings all sitting in my garage waiting for temps above the 40s to be worked on. ;)
Do you happen to have a picture of the luggage rack? The defender rack is $$$$$$ :(
I hear ya! I have a Eddy Performer and a Sniper EFI to install.