Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
az chip

Re: Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Short update, lot of work. Got it running last night. Fixed vacuum leaks and other issues. Now running ok. On to new projects. One thing, if you have a gap you cannot fix on the 2150 carb base,try a Fel-Pro 60094-1 gasket. Fixed 1/2 of my problem. I found the gasket p/n here or the other place with a google search.

https://youtu.be/uZ5PrqaUUZM
Last edited by az chip on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

Sounds good! I am glad you got it running. It was good to see it yesterday in person. It's coming along nicely.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Just took the Jeep around the block. Glad the engine runs good because it drives like crap. Transmission thumps in every gear. Rattles in the drive line. Back to square one. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

congradulations on getting it moving again. Now on to square two! See what happens after the transmission warms up a bit. It could also be the U-joints causing the issue of both the thumping and the rattles.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Low fluid and rigging the transmission cable. I am used to a TH 400. All vacuum. Learning the 727 rigging procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

will e

Post by will e »

Yeah, the 727 linkage is not a 'kick down' but a TV. There are some writeups on how to adjust. If you feel lucky we are heading out to bulldog on Sunday. You will need to get a permit. Let me know!

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Thanks, I work Sundays. I get three days off a week for working the weekend. Kind of sucks but doing stuff during the week is nice. No crowds.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Wrapping up some stuff today. My starter has an American Motors sticker. Is it possible it is original? And I found a crushed brake line to my left rear brake. Wondered why it did not look worn. Now to figure out how to snake a line past the fuel tank. Adding to the list faster than fixing stuff.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

az chip wrote: And I found a crushed brake line to my left rear brake. Wondered why it did not look worn. Now to figure out how to snake a line past the fuel tank. .
Not like my PO did I hope...ImageImage

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
az chip wrote: And I found a crushed brake line to my left rear brake. Wondered why it did not look worn. Now to figure out how to snake a line past the fuel tank. .
Not like my PO did I hope...ImageImage
No. Not like that. Looks like it got turned in to a pretzel by someone or something.

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Doing tranny fluid and filter change. My pan was rusted and generally looked like poop. I need to get moving on this thing. I can't wait three days every time I find an issue. Time to start fixing stuff. So I beat the pan back in to shape, cleaned the corrosion and painted it. Probably a huge car maintenance f up. I don't really care. Time to get wrenching done and on the road. Last picture. I need to change the tranny mount. That is in progress as well.
ImageImage

will e

Post by will e »

Pan looks good. Perhaps it is too late but this is a nice pan upgrade:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance ... C/10002/-1

It will clear the crossmember.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I might get a different pan later. Right now, pressing on!

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Dang. Replacing transmission mount tonight. The heli-coil in the transmission pad is all jacked. Now I get to fix that. Not sure how. Learning time again. Any tips greatly appreciated. Pics later. I am tired.

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

No pics from yesterday. Got my behind kicked. Today is thread insert day and crossmember trimming day.

tedlovesjeeps71

You may be able to get a pick at the helicoil. If you can pry the end out enough to grab it with vice grips you can tug it out that way.

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Ted,

It's breaking apart. Which is fine. I just need it all out. I am being delicate as I do not want to screw up the transmission housing.
Last edited by az chip on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedlovesjeeps71

az chip wrote:Ted,

It's breaking apart. Which is fine. I just need it all out. I am being delicate as I do not want to screw up the transmission housing.
I hear ya. They can be as much of a pain as they are a help. I'm pretty sure they are steel so a pick and a magnet may help. Good luck... I'm rooting for ya! Image

will e

Post by will e »

Why did you trim the crossmember?

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:Why did you trim the crossmember?
Clearance issues after lift install. Less than an inch from shaft to front of crossmember. The new trans mount will fix part of that if I ever fix the hole.