1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1966 (1968?) Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

mud89 wrote:
66stepside wrote:https://vimeo.com/193173875

There's a video of it running for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great job !

Thanks, Mud!

I had to splurge and get a new carb- single barrel. The carb was getting gas, but there was some kind of blockage. It only ran if I used starter fluid first to get it going. Now she starts up every time.

I used a spare single barrel as the core swap, so I could keep the original carb and tinker with it.

I also snagged a set of front and rear turn signal housings as the bulbs were so corroded that there was no way to save them. I installed those today.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 (1968?) Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

She has a "new" column. I now know why the previous column imploded- the top shifter rod was catching on the clutch housing linkage that bolts to the bell housing. The linkage was loose, I've short term-remedied that. I can't seem to put her in neutral, though.

Edit: lol, no locking hubs on the front. It was in 4 low, so, um, I have neutral. I was moving the front driveline to check to see if it was in neutral (insert embarrassed emoticon face here).

I started her up and shifted her into drive and she pulled forward a bit- but seeing as how I have no brakes, or steering wheel, I couldn't do much more than that for now.

Edit:

The steering column is in, steering wheel is on and she's buttoned up ready for her maiden voyage.

It's hailing non stop, so I've postponed the test drive for now.

I'll be getting a new steering wheel wrap.

Polishing up a set of baby moon hubcaps!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

She runs, drives and stops!
https://vimeo.com/195207676
I'll have to get new brakes on her. One of the wheel cylinders is leaking a bit.

Last edited by 66stepside on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

You work fast sir! Great video clip.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

44bz wrote:You work fast sir! Great video clip.

Thanks 44bz, I'm just glad I had most of the parts in my horde of spare parts!

What's with birds in my shop? This is the third one!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I pulled a distributor off a 79 AMC Concord with a 232 to upgrade mine. Has the magnetic pickup style in it. So I had to wire a Chevy 4 pin to the whole thing as well.

Installed it all today and it worked pretty well.

It seems to idle better and a better throttle response.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I ended up trading the painted grill for a set of 6 uncut hubcaps. They came a week ago, or so. I put a pair on the front since I'm not going to install locking hubs.

I also snagged a rear air dam off a 70 Wagoneer. To my surprise, it did not fit where the brackets were located on my jeep. The 70 has three brackets; solid aluminum. Mine has only two broken brackets- chromed. Weird.

I drill out two of the aluminum brackets where they attach to the roof to fit mine and then centered the dam and drilled that out, too.
I'll pull it back off and fill in the holes, paint it to match the jeep, but kinda age it a bit so it does not look "brand new".

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Speaking of paint, here's the code for Bronze Mist Metallic. They had to call PPG headquarters for this code.

With any luck, I'll be getting to paint the air dam this afternoon.

... later this afternoon:

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Brakes are done; what a PITA.

Anyway, here's her maiden voyage out of the "hood" out into the main roads:
https://vimeo.com/198502020

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Nice work. It's crazy that you started with a wag parked in the tall grass just a couple months ago and it's already a cruiser!

Is that old town spokompton headed toward hwy 2?

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

44bz wrote:Nice work. It's crazy that you started with a wag parked in the tall grass just a couple months ago and it's already a cruiser!

Is that old town spokompton headed toward hwy 2?

Crazy is right, but I lucked out on the transition from parked in a field since at least 1996 to cruising down the road in 2017 in a number of ways.
I had a stash of spare parts I never thought I'd use (but did use on this wagon), and faith that the couple who sold me the Wagoneer were being honest about "ran when parked".
I figured, though, that if it took them a year, or so, to finally let me have the jeep, they were probably being honest in everything they told me about it. Everything worked out.

Close- Highway 27. I hung a right at Pines and headed toward Highway 27 to see if I could get some carbon blown out of the pipes! I had my dog on the passenger's side.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Boob tube alert:

https://youtu.be/3mW6aRfA7gM

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Ugh. The jeep version of the walk of shame.

I thought I had the whole distributor thing worked out. Had to flat tow her home. Image

Edit:
Despite the single digit temps, I spent most of the day in the shop with the main door open after I brought home the Wagoneer. After wrapping up for the night, I try to start the wag and what do you know, it fires right up. WTH? So it fires right up when cold, but not when warmed up? Crazy.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I forged deep into North Idaho to snag a Ramsey Winch Bumper Combo:

ImageImage

The controller is in the jeep, but it's all there. Not sure if it's an 8000, or 12000. The stamped number on what's left of the sticker doesn't come up on an internet search. The case dimensions of the 8 and 12 are identical and there's no other visible markings other that Ramsey stamped into both sides. Can't wait to install it!

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Looks like a fun trip and a nice score. I wonder how the bumper will line up on the wag. The warn bumper on my jtruck came off a k5 blazer which has a much narrower frame than the jtruck. I had planned to build my own mounts anyway. But I wonder how close the Chevy and wagoneer frames are?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks, it was fun despite the winding roads and snow coming down. Way south of St. Maries, ID. A lot like driving up the mountains to snowboard.

I don't think it will be a straight bolt on, but I'll take measurements for sure.

I may not even use the bumper, but if I do, I'll use the leftover brackets front the stout bumper I used to have on the 66. The arms were about 1/2" thick if I remember correctly. I'd build a cradle starting with that and weld the bumper to the cradle.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

After taking care of the 13" of snow-

I cleaned all the contact points of the winch's electronics, double grounded it, filled it with some appropriate oil, added Lucas Stabilizer Oil, hooked it up to a charged battery, then unspooled most of the cable and spooled it back so I wasn't tripping over the excess cable. She's ready to mount.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I have a Belleview that works but needs to be gone through. Great score on the Ramsey!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:I have a Belleview that works but needs to be gone through. Great score on the Ramsey!
That Belleview sounds like a cool score- got pics of that? I love the period correct accessories.

Thanks!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote:
twisted frame wrote:I have a Belleview that works but needs to be gone through. Great score on the Ramsey!
That Belleview sounds like a cool score- got pics of that? I love the period correct accessories.

Thanks!
The Jeep is stored elsewhere and I haven't been out to it in about a month. Pics of the winch next time. I know the original owner installed it or had it installed, possibly from day 1. I'm the third owner of my truck and the guy before me said he snapped the winch cable while dragging a water heater out of someone's basement. :roll:
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.