1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: 1966 (1968?) Wagoneer Build

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So the rest of it was a rotted basket case... right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

66stepside wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
66stepside wrote:

Lol, yep. Those were locally sourced from up near Addy, WA.

ROFLMAO!

Where is the like button?

'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Hahaha, classic!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote:
twisted frame wrote:
66stepside wrote: That Belleview sounds like a cool score- got pics of that? I love the period correct accessories.

Thanks!
The Jeep is stored elsewhere and I haven't been out to it in about a month. Pics of the winch next time. I know the original owner installed it or had it installed, possibly from day 1. I'm the third owner of my truck and the guy before me said he snapped the winch cable while dragging a water heater out of someone's basement. :roll:
Whoa. That snapping cable would've been good to get on video!

I mocked up the stock bumper, roughly 9 1/2 inches from the forward tip of the grill support. But I'm not digging it. So back to stock for now.

I finally got a few pics of the Belleview winch on my truck. Sorry the pic quality isn't the best. Having focus issues on my phone.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:
66stepside wrote:
twisted frame wrote: The Jeep is stored elsewhere and I haven't been out to it in about a month. Pics of the winch next time. I know the original owner installed it or had it installed, possibly from day 1. I'm the third owner of my truck and the guy before me said he snapped the winch cable while dragging a water heater out of someone's basement. :roll:
Whoa. That snapping cable would've been good to get on video!

I mocked up the stock bumper, roughly 9 1/2 inches from the forward tip of the grill support. But I'm not digging it. So back to stock for now.

I finally got a few pics of the Belleview winch on my truck. Sorry the pic quality isn't the best. Having focus issues on my phone.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk
I like that look. There's something about the period correct look that I dig. Is that company still around?

tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:
I like that look. There's something about the period correct look that I dig. Is that company still around?
I believe Warn bought Belview and used their design which eventually progressed into the 8264 we know and love today.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
66stepside wrote:
I believe Warn bought Belview and used their design which eventually progressed into the 8264 we know and love today.

^Yup, you know it! Good article here: https://www.warn.com/blog/2013/04/10/th ... inch.shtml
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

That's even cooler! That's some great history there. That came with your jeep?

What's that finned box shaped thing in the second pic?

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote:That's even cooler! That's some great history there. That came with your jeep?

Yup! I remember reading the ad in the local (now out of business) want ad weekly. It was listed under Miscellaneous Trucks as an AMC. Then I saw "winch" and had to check it out.

The finned 3-post box is some kind of electrical junction block. By the time I got the truck there was just one wire attached to it which went to nowhere. A lot of the old, added-on electrical stuff had been removed. I'm the third owner and the PO told me the original guy did all the stuff to the truck and that it had a bed-mounted camper with all sorts of gear in it. The story added up when I noticed not only the missing tailgate but the shaved tailgate latches and missing strikers, a labeled fill hole for fresh water, and remnants of a home-brewed rear bumper spare tire holder with dash-wired warning light that lit up if the plunger near the spare mount was exposed if the tire mount was unlatched.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:
66stepside wrote:That's even cooler! That's some great history there. That came with your jeep?

Yup! I remember reading the ad in the local (now out of business) want ad weekly. It was listed under Miscellaneous Trucks as an AMC. Then I saw "winch" and had to check it out.

The finned 3-post box is some kind of electrical junction block. By the time I got the truck there was just one wire attached to it which went to nowhere. A lot of the old, added-on electrical stuff had been removed. I'm the third owner and the PO told me the original guy did all the stuff to the truck and that it had a bed-mounted camper with all sorts of gear in it. The story added up when I noticed not only the missing tailgate but the shaved tailgate latches and missing strikers, a labeled fill hole for fresh water, and remnants of a home-brewed rear bumper spare tire holder with dash-wired warning light that lit up if the plunger near the spare mount was exposed if the tire mount was unlatched.
It's kind of interesting to see some of the more effective mods PO's do to the rigs. Maybe a dual battery relay?

I pulled a vintage power inverter off a 65, and never did figure out how in the heck the PO made it work. I'd love to have that on the Wagoner and usable!

I took a ride into north Idaho this AM to scout a "64 Cherokee". I was curious.

I took the truck bed trailer and a buddy into the Bayview area on the Southern end of Lake Pend Oreille.

Turns out to be a 76 Cherokee Chief Wide Track, kinda beat up and missing quite a few parts.

10 acres and quite a few things to see. We were there for 4 hours wandering around.

Imagethis was a dodge dually 4x4 d200. I fell in lust with this thing.

Imagei thought this was a Willys stepside due to the stake pockets. But it wasn't.

Imagethat old skateboard, or what's left of it.

All in all, I bought a few things. Nothing jeep-related, though.

tedlovesjeeps71

You should have looked to see if the rest of that postal top was around (blue CJ parts)

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

My best guess on that skateboard is 1990-1996-ish, based on the small wheels and those trucks, although the board itself looks like it was cut out of regular ol' plywood...I doubt it's from Powell or Vision! :P :geek:

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:You should have looked to see if the rest of that postal top was around (blue CJ parts)

I think the whole body was there- hood, grill, and both fenders. The top looked like it was there?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:My best guess on that skateboard is 1990-1996-ish, based on the small wheels and those trucks, although the board itself looks like it was cut out of regular ol' plywood...I doubt it's from Powell or Vision! :P :geek:
Hahaha, I wouldn't know much about the eras. What ever it used to be is mostly returned to nature. He had plenty of cool stuff, but I wasn't interested in most of it. Secretly, though, I was hoping that board was autographed by Peralta! Hahaha.

tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:You should have looked to see if the rest of that postal top was around (blue CJ parts)

I think the whole body was there- hood, grill, and both fenders. The top looked like it was there?

I was kinda hoping it was one of the lost children. CJ-8 Scrambler postals have kind of a cult following.

And is it bad I remember these being skateboards?

And these were "Rollerblades"...

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
66stepside wrote:

I was kinda hoping it was one of the lost children. CJ-8 Scrambler postals have kind of a cult following.

And is it bad I remember these being skateboards?

And these were "Rollerblades"...

Dang! Sadly I remember those skates and boards., too. Those Alaskan Postals are on my list of top 3 jeeps. Super cool. They pop up every now and again in this area- but are pricey for sure.

I keep getting these visitors:

Are they bees? They're fricken huge. I saved three today alone inside the shop

I bought this one locally and the guy to pity on me (I threw my back out last week) and he delivered it:

1963 1414C. After it was unloaded, we shot the breeze for nearly an hour. Apparently it's a one owner jeep, with legal documents to have it titled, so it all holds out I'll be the second owner. Hasn't ran since 86. 230, manual floor shift, 4 speed- maybe. I haven't had s chance to go through it yet.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:And is it bad I remember these being skateboards?
Awesome Sears catalog page! Wow, I remember drooling over those catalogs at my grandma's.

When I was in junior high, most of my friends had department store-brand boards but a few had the real deal skate shop brands. I admit, I was envious of them.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote: Image

1963 1414C. After it was unloaded, we shot the breeze for nearly an hour. Apparently it's a one owner jeep, with legal documents to have it titled, so it all holds out I'll be the second owner. Hasn't ran since 86. 230, manual floor shift, 4 speed- maybe. I haven't had s chance to go through it yet.

Ok, I'm convinced WA buyers really dug the grey-olive-slightly-metallic color of the Kaiser era. My old 77 Cherokee was repainted this color by the guy I bought it from and it's one of the shades I've considered for when I repaint my J4000.

At first glance, that Wag looks alot like the one you had for a little while, added some nice touches to it and then sold, mostly because of the color. Looks like a spring-over conversion in front, huh? Does it have the cool Kaiser 4WD dash indicator lights?

Finally, I wonder if that windshield has been replaced or just never experienced any de-lamination? The 70s rigs I've owned have all had the grey haze around the edge of the windshield but I'v come across a few 60s Wags in salvage yards that had beautiful, slightly pitted, but never delaminated windshields. These nice windshields on 60s Wags that I saw certainly could have been replaced at some point but it got me wondering if a manufacturing process changed somewhere along the way which might have lead to certain years having windshields that are prone to the grey haze and other years having better luck resisting delamination.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 (1968?) Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

Hahaha, you're observant on so many levels.

It has the paint code in the firewall, I believe it is Amber Poly- yep, like you noticed, very much like the one I sold after a bit of modding.

It's a great color and my son's dash looks great with the new coat of Amber Poly on it.

I've bought and sold so many jeeps over the past 30 years, I've lost count. But I remember a few with serious regret, or emotional attachment.
1) a 1978 jeep with a blown motor. I swapped in a running motor and messed it up badly. Huge regret! I should've towed it to a shop and have them just fix my screw up. I honestly think my addiction would've stopped there had I have had my head out from my rectum. Hahaha. But, maybe not.
2)1977 Super Wagoneer Clone with s factory 401. Some bastard broke the window to steal a cheap stereo and really screwed up the dash, so I sold it. This was my favorite build- a super clone.
3) the Panel Delivery. I ended up hating that jeep after it fell on me. I tried to get over it; it was all my own damn fault, but like a bitter relationship I just couldn't move past the experience. No regrets selling it, though.
4. That green jeep from California. I had it shipped up, tweaked and tinkered with it enough to love it. A guy saw it on Facebook and the rest is history. Even my wife and two kids were upset about the sale of that one.
5) the jeepster tribute (not an FSJ!) but it's on the list. My wife and I were going through a trial separation and I was preparing for a divorce emotionally and financially. I had to come up with cash for a down payment on a place in the event the worst case scenario happened. We worked out our problems, but the tribute took the brunt of that battle. Nothing is more important to me than my kids and family. I was, and am, willing to do whatever is within my power to make sure my kids have what they need- not always what they want, ya know? Sadness? Yep. Regrets? Nope.
6) the 69 Super Wagoneer I bought in Colfax, WA. then afterwards I eBay'd to a guy in Italy. Sadness and regrets for sure.

So, when this one popped up and the price kept dropping, I snapped it up mostly as a parts rig for the 68 i have in the shop now. BUT, the more I look at it, the more I love it and want to tinker with it and slowly bring her back.

Maybe it's the meds talking, but there it is. Hahaha. I don't usually post any of my failures, because I try to stay positive.

I haven't had s chance to take a good look at the jeep yet, but after my back feels better, I'll at least clean it out and oil up the cylinders to see if she at least turns over by hand. It does have a hydraulic clutch. That's only the second one I've ever seen on an older rig.

About 1/2 of the jeeps here delaminate. I don't know why they do. The upper chrome is gone- that usually suggests new windshield because newer installers and gaskets aren't meant for the older chrome along that spot.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Staying positive is hard sometimes, that's for sure. I sold some past Jeeps that I would've kept if I knew even a little more about cars back then than I do now - that's what made me let my 77 NT Cherokee get away from me. I miss it the most, even though it's the one that gave me the most headaches!

I hear you though - a vehicle or any hobby sort of object can't get in the way of or take away from kids or family.