1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:I've gotten over my initial surprise and can now ask regular, sensible questions! :P Are you using an FSJ frame or the Chevy?
I’d like to use the Chevy frame - and that’s the plan going forward, BUT I do have J truck and wagoneer frames waiting in the wings in the event the 01 Chevy Frame doesn’t work out.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

This is awesome and I am drooling over the idea. I always wanted to take a Comanche and a Cherokee and make a 4 door Cheromanche. Its been done a few times but never in a way that makes my OCD happy. Making the back door square is a big part of it and getting the correct ride height and tire size is important. If its too low it will look like a limo.

Any idea on what tire size you plan to run? And if youve drawn or photo shopped this finished truck I'd love to see that picture.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

66stepside wrote:Haha, Classic. 1st world problems, I’ve got em.

Speaking of problems, hardest problem is done.

The rear doors hit the factory strike plate without adjustment, but I did have to take out the factory shims.

It’s tack-welded in place and this is it for the weekend.

I'm still waking up but had a funny/stupid thought. How funny would it be to put your barn doors on the back of this, making it a 6 door? ImageImageImage
Ok, I obviously need coffee. Lol

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
I'm still waking up but had a funny/stupid thought. How funny would it be to put your barn doors on the back of this, making it a 6 door? ImageImageImage
Ok, I obviously need coffee. Lol
I must be sleep deprived, too. That thought crossed my mind- as did the idea of a standard wagoneer tailgate concept, but I settled on attempting to install an electric rear window similar to the newer trucks- but using Jeep’s wagoneer frame rails and Chevy window regulator/motors to do the lifting.

The problem (as I see it) with wagoneer barn doors and wagoneer tailgates on a j truck is the angle of both would not allow either option to be used with a Thriftside bed, or the townside version without serious mods to the doors and the bed. I’m not shy when it comes to body work, but the angles and body lines would be way off.

My real concern about a rolling rear window is taking up too much space inside the cab and shrinking leg room for the passengers. If it eats up too much room, then there will be no roll down window in the rear of the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Ha! We are both sick in the head.

What if you just made the window removable or folds down into the bed? I like different.

I was pondering a bigger version of yours that would be a dedicated tow rig. I always wondered why tow trucks seemed so wide on had the odd thought of widening the crew cab j truck. Probably would make getting a windshield really expensive though.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

TurboJ4000 wrote:This is awesome and I am drooling over the idea. I always wanted to take a Comanche and a Cherokee and make a 4 door Cheromanche. Its been done a few times but never in a way that makes my OCD happy. Making the back door square is a big part of it and getting the correct ride height and tire size is important. If its too low it will look like a limo.

Any idea on what tire size you plan to run? And if youve drawn or photo shopped this finished truck I'd love to see that picture.
There’s a guy in Post Falls, Idaho who build for door Comanche Trucks- I think I posted a pic under the thread “other jeeps in interest in your area”- the original thread.

Thanks, I like the idea, too. I’m planning on 33’s and that’s what the PCM was flashed for. I didn’t draw up any pics/photoshopped, but listed what I wanted and didn’t want. I guess being old, that’s what I meant, haha.

On example was whether, or not to square off the bottoms of rear doors and leave the bottoms of the front doors curved, but it looked goofy to me.

Speaking of limos:

The above pics came off the net and seem to be of a factory limo wagoneer- they used a curved bottom rear portion of the door on all of them. Ideally, in my mind, I’d set it up visually like what Jeep would’ve done way back in the 60’s for the looks overall, but with modern technology and parts for the drivetrain.

I am buttoning up the rear floor patch this week, then finishing up the rear door frames on the doors themselves.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Ha! We are both sick in the head. Image

What if you just made the window removable or folds down into the bed? I like different. Image

I was pondering a bigger version of yours that would be a dedicated tow rig. I always wondered why tow trucks seemed so wide on had the odd thought of widening the crew cab j truck. Probably would make getting a windshield really expensive though.
Haha, yeah.

The newer SUVs have those window flaps that let air flow through the cab- like Lincoln Navigators and the electric window flaps, I think that would be super cool to see happen on an older Jeep.

tedlovesjeeps71

Yours looks better than factory. ImageImage

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

That looks Australian! Holy cow.

tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:That looks Australian! Holy cow.

I think I have a couple more pics... I'll look later.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

66stepside wrote:
I settled on attempting to install an electric rear window similar to the newer trucks- but using Jeep’s wagoneer frame rails and Chevy window regulator/motors to do the lifting.

My real concern about a rolling rear window is taking up too much space inside the cab and shrinking leg room for the passengers. If it eats up too much room, then there will be no roll down window in the rear of the cab.

Why not try to fit the power sliding window from a late model truck? I have never taken one apart, but it seems like the Dodge or Ford or Chevy regulator could be used to slide the factory FSJ glass side to side like the new trucks have. Wouldn't take up room and it would still open easy.

If they aren't powered, the back window will never get opened in a crew cab truck in my experience. I might not be understanding your wagoneer idea but I think your talking about the whole window going up and down vs just the slider.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

No no, I have the panel that's in need of those barn doors....
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

tedlovesjeeps71

mud89

Post by mud89 »

The australian crewcab were built from a J20 and Cherokee 4 doors (rear body), J20 frame was extended by one foot, and the bed or tray size was reduced around 6 feet
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

TurboJ4000 wrote:
66stepside wrote:
I settled on attempting to install an electric rear window similar to the newer trucks- but using Jeep’s wagoneer frame rails and Chevy window regulator/motors to do the lifting.

Why not try to fit the power sliding window from a late model truck? I have never taken one apart, but it seems like the Dodge or Ford or Chevy regulator could be used to slide the factory FSJ glass side to side like the new trucks have. Wouldn't take up room and it would still open easy.

If they aren't powered, the back window will never get opened in a crew cab truck in my experience. I might not be understanding your wagoneer idea but I think your talking about the whole window going up and down vs just the slider.
Yeah, the newer trucks have two rear window power options, full glass down, or rear slider sliding the center square off to one side.

I can try either of those two options- I like the idea of the full rear window rolling down as that keeps the Jeep theme from what the wagoneer’s window did. I’m going to try the Jeep window first and see if I can get that to work with Chevy regulators.

If that doesn’t work, then I will try something else- maybe even a manual slider like I have on my 66, or graft a modern power window into the rear, though I don’t want to even think about that yet! Haha.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

jaber wrote:No no, I have the panel that's in need of those barn doors....
Nice!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Image
Those have been built pretty nice- the first one, in blue, did a cool thing with the rear doors.

This limo popped up:

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

mud89 wrote:The australian crewcab were built from a J20 and Cherokee 4 doors (rear body), J20 frame was extended by one foot, and the bed or tray size was reduced around 6 feet
It’s always interesting to see what people do for the bed size. I’m not quite sure if I’ll end up with a 6, 7, or 8 foot bed.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

66stepside wrote: It’s always interesting to see what people do for the bed size. I’m not quite sure if I’ll end up with a 6, 7, or 8 foot bed.

The bed size is another big thing to make it look right from a portions standpoint. The cab length vs overall length and height should determine the bed length. Most crew cab long bed trucks look very long these days when everyone has short beds but they are still very cool to see.

Where the rear axle ends up in the bed matters too. if you end up shortening the bed you'll have to take some out of the front and rear so the wheel is still in the middle instead of up next to the cab.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I agree 100% on proportions. Just this AM I saw a quad cab Chevy truck that somehow was out of specs with the ratios.

We spent yesterday helping a Jeeping buddy clear his stash of Willy’s trucks and cabs, then sorting through his parts for his next build. He sold off one truck and I bought a stepside bed for the bulkhead, WO tailgate, fenders and stake pockets- the essentials for building my own bed if the deal for the other 8’ bed falls though.

My son got to drive the tractor and drag the willy’s cab on the trailer- the cab was toast, but it’ll be another deer blind on 300+ acres in Montana.

After all that I separated the bed from the frame and left the frame, axles and whatnot behind.

The bed now sits awaiting surgery to remove the unwanted bits.