1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: 1965 Super Wagoneer Resto-Mod Build: 3:1

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

az chip wrote:Well, hoard away. They don't stock these parts at autozone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ain't that da truff!!!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Hahahaha. Yep, I've been hoarding for years. I'm the Original American Picker- except I only deal with jeep parts... and whole rigs on occasion.

My son convinced my to supervise him one day a week on this project so he could learn more in-depth repairs. Like a true addict, I agreed. The front clip did not come with the jeep, so he's been doing some frame cleaning, and painting on the frame.

I saw a few stress cracks: 1 on the driver's side motor mount and 1 on the passenger's side front corner. So out came the welder and he went to town.

Now he has to wire brush them to see what he's done. And if what he's done is good enough.

Originally I had planned out slicing the needed body panels off the Green Wagoneer, but now I'm considering a straight body swap.

The Green Jeep is really straight, but the floor boards are shot. The Super's body looks like it's taken more than its fair share of hammer-like hits, yet the floor boards are flawless. So, we'll see.

tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:
Originally I had planned out slicing the needed body panels off the Green Wagoneer, but now I'm considering a straight body swap.

The Green Jeep is really straight, but the floor boards are shot. The Super's body looks like it's taken more than its fair share of hammer-like hits, yet the floor boards are flawless. So, we'll see.
Maybe if you play some Barry White and leave them alone in the garage for a while they will mate?? Image

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
66stepside wrote:

Maybe if you play some Barry White and leave them alone in the garage for a while they will mate?? Image

I'd be ok with that, a 68 and 63, that's not a bad age difference. Image

tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
66stepside wrote:

Well... If you hear bumpers bumping in the middle of the night, hope for the best. Hopefully the Mr jeep knows the difference between the intake vs the exhaust. ImageImageImage

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
66stepside wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

Well... If you hear bumpers bumping in the middle of the night, hope for the best. Hopefully the Mr jeep knows the difference between the intake vs the exhaust. ImageImageImage

Rofl. True.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 Super Wagoneer Resto-Mod Build: 3:1

Post by 66stepside »

They're gone:

Whew, that freed up some space.

tedlovesjeeps71

congrats sir! Hopefully they went to a good home!!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I hope so.

1) when to a 14 year old and his dad for the son's first ride- 4bt swap here in Eastern Washington.

2) Went to Western Washington for a husband/wife rock crawler project.

3) Went to Central Washington for a sand buggy rat rod.

The one I didn't show was the one I sold that ended up getting flipped for 3x the price I sold her for. Can't win em all. Live and learn.

We're cutting floor pans out of the Super Basket Case ride this afternoon.

What can't be save will sent to the recycling yard.

The frame will be prepped, painted and tucked away, as will the axles and springs.

tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:Can't win em all..
And unfortunately can't save em all. Image

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

True. The frame and matching vin plate are the important items to me on this one. I'll eventually do a body swap on it and bring her back to life.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Oh, in case anyone was wondering about what jeep did to fill in the ribbed part of the hardtop:

Rubber rib fillers. That's fun to say.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The body is off. The frame is waiting to be brought back to life.

Edit:

Glad the ap is back up and running.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I picked up a Chevy manual bellhousing today. I'll be running the T-90j three speed from the Green Wagoneer, and the Dana 20 from the blue truck and mate that all to a newer generation Chevy.
My disc replacement surgery date is set for December 19th. So time to save up for some adapters and squirrel away parts.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Why the T-90J? 4sp's are easy enough to find, then you at least have 3 syncro gears, instead of just two.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:Why the T-90J? 4sp's are easy enough to find, then you at least have 3 syncro gears, instead of just two.
That's a great question and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out which combo would be better, or best, for me.

I've scoped out sm465, NV4500, and I run the t18 in my 66 Truck. After driving my 66 all these years, I'll admit a 5 speed would've been nice.

All in all, I guess the 4 speed seems like overkill for me. I definitely want a manual, though.

What would your recommendation be?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would go with something that has a synchro “first” gear. In the case of the T18/NP435/SM465 that’s actually second. But the drivability is just so much better when the gears you use are synchro’ed.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Yeah, I really like the T18, it has done everything I have needed it to do. I have it mated to the Dana 300, though.

The T90j seems like a decent choice for the Wagoneer. Overall, it has a great rep.

What I've got in mind for this final build is to build this Super as if it came from the factory with a manual- with the exception of the engine.

I really like the NV3500, but the passenger's side t case options are limited.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The other thing to think of is when putting the i6 trans behind a V8, the shifter will be moved up towards the dash.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:The other thing to think of is when putting the i6 trans behind a V8, the shifter will be moved up towards the dash.
True. Thanks for the reminder. The Chevy bellhousing depth between the stock jeep one is nearly identical, the Chevy adapter is a few inches of gain. When the t90 was in the 63 Wagoneer, It sat right in the middle of the cover plate, maybe about 8" from the rear edge. I would think that's where it would end up in this Wagoneer? If not because the V8 is wider, then it would be a tight fit up against the dash for sure.

However, I'm likely borrowing an idea from a buddy who is running the SM420/Dana 20 and the Ranger Torque Splitter. He was able to move his 4.3 six cyl. up closer to the radiator so it looks centered in the bay and like it was meant to be there. It also gives him more options when shifting he drives his Willys Wagon to Montana and back pretty regularly.

I would use the Ranger to scoot everything back and get a few more shifting options as well. If my math is right, I'd get to move the tranny back 7.5" which is right about where the Super's automatic shifter is set up.

While a bit pricy, I'm roughly spending the same overall price as if I stepped up to a 4, or 5 speed with the adapter/output shaft combo to a passenger's side drop t case. As always, your insight is always appreciated!