1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Post by 66stepside »

I pulled the trigger and snagged this one from California.

It should arrive this Sunday some time.

It started out as a factory 2WD (1314 Vin) and somewhere along the way someone swapped in a 77ish Cherokee Widetrack frame and running gear. Then the 360/th400/Dana 20 drive train, power brakes, and power steering.

Interior is shot, but it runs, drives and stops decent enough. The tranny whines. All in all, It seems like a pretty good start to build the dream daily driver.

I've been collecting parts for this build awhile, but it hasn't been much of a priority due to 62's build.

Low back bucket seats and carpet:

Door panels, too, but I could not find pics of them. As for the drivetrain is concerned, I was planning for a manual tranny, but now I'm not so sure. The 360 will stay for now, but I'm not sure what she'll end up with when it's all said and done.

CosmicRhino

Re: 1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by CosmicRhino »

It looks perfect.

What's the true color? A bit difficult to tell from the pictures. I like those green seats, too.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

CosmicRhino wrote:It looks perfect.

What's the true color? A bit difficult to tell from the pictures. I like those green seats, too.
I am not sure what the color is. It's been repainted, but I don't think it's a stock color.

I plan on running the paint code from the firewall (if there is one) once it arrives. The paint looks different in every pic, but I found the seats and carpet and it all seems to tie in together- I hope that doesn't change once I see the wag in person.

It looks two-tone in this pic, but it's just the lighting and sun bleached patina. If I had to guess, I'd say it was originally olive mist green.

Last edited by 66stepside on Fri May 29, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

Likely that mossy green or a little brighter color. I absolutely love Jeep's moss green varieties.

This is a '65 I just found on eBay that could be your original stock color.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Other-J300 ... 1478725754

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

That could very well be the case. In every pic, it looks different. I am looking forward to getting it figured out through the paint code.

The hipster filters on the phone pics don't help for figuring out the color.

CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

You can never trust a hipster filter.

I did a bit more research as this color intrigues me. I believe that you probably have a fine example of stock avocado mist metallic. My all time favorite Jeep color. Found that they produced this color in '65 Wagoneers: http://www.wagoneerworld.com/by_year.php

They used the same color in '69. Here I found an example of a '69 Wagoneer with stock avocado mist. http://www.thejeepfarm.com/69_JeepKaise ... oMist.html

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

CosmicRhino wrote:You can never trust a hipster filter.

I did a bit more research as this color intrigues me. I believe that you probably have a fine example of stock avocado mist metallic. My all time favorite Jeep color. Found that they produced this color in '65 Wagoneers: http://www.wagoneerworld.com/by_year.php

They used the same color in '69. Here I found an example of a '69 Wagoneer with stock avocado mist. http://www.thejeepfarm.com/69_JeepKaise ... oMist.html
That "never trust a hipster" comment cracked me up!

The Avacado Mist is a great color. There was a restored 69 Wag for sale awhile back on the net in that color that just popped. Someone a few miles down the road from us had a low mileage wag in that color for sale, but it sold too quick.

The shipper texted and said he might be able to drop it off tonight!

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

It's here:

While we were at the 2nd Annual Lantern Fest, the neighbors took a few photos for me.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

The firewall tags are gone. The dash is Amber Poly. The firewall looks Amber Poly, too. It's hard to tell in the dark with a maglite.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Congrats on your purchase. Very handsome Wagoneer! I love the clear front signal lenses of the earlier FSJs, and I never noticed that these years didn't have the round reverse light. Did that start in 66 or 67 maybe?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks!

I am pretty sure those reverse lights showed up in 66. The spare barn doors are off a 67-68 IIRC, and they have those reverse lights. The 63-65 is my favorite body style with the clean, classic lines. I had cut off a pair of 63 waggie tail light housings just in case I bought a newer waggie- I would've grafted the old style housings onto the newer jeep.

I drove the jeep around the neighborhood and it doesn't whine, but it never shifted into the next gear so I'll be looking into that pretty soon.

It is huge, though, here's a shot of it next to the truck:

My truck sits on 35's and the Wagpneer sits on worn out 32 mudders.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Man, that Wag just reminds me so much of a 77 NT Cherokee I used to own. It only had a 4" lift with 31s but being a NT, it still gave you that tall and skinny look, which I really like. Plus, my Cherokee had been painted a color very much like the Wag you just bought - one of those olive-ish/grey/greenish shades with some minor metallic sparkle in it.

Judging by your other build threads, including your father and son 2WD p/u, I wouldn't have guessed you were searching for another build candidate. I remember the tribute Jeepster/FSJ sort of rig you were working on for a while but that one went away, right?

At any rate, this 65 looks like a good one to make into whatever you want.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Man, that Wag just reminds me so much of a 77 NT Cherokee I used to own. It only had a 4" lift with 31s but being a NT, it still gave you that tall and skinny look, which I really like. Plus, my Cherokee had been painted a color very much like the Wag you just bought - one of those olive-ish/grey/greenish shades with some minor metallic sparkle in it.

Judging by your other build threads, including your father and son 2WD p/u, I wouldn't have guessed you were searching for another build candidate. I remember the tribute Jeepster/FSJ sort of rig you were working on for a while but that one went away, right?

At any rate, this 65 looks like a good one to make into whatever you want.
77 NT is a good one to have. I searched high and low for one and missed two by days, if not hours. I guess what's meant to be is meant to be, and what's not, is not.

I've been looking for a final build candidate for awhile just because I know it's best to find them when they pop up, not when you need/want them.

Yeah, life turned a bit sideways, skidded to a grinding near halt as it tends to do every once in a while, for a bit awhile back and the FrankenJeepster Jeepster Tribute was parted off and sold in pieces. :cry: I kept the front clip, though! :D That was supposed to be my daily driver, and once traction with life was regained, the search for a suitable replacement was under way.

In addition to Wagoneers, I was also looking for 67-71 Jeepsters since they kept popping up and I had two SC-2's years ago AND I could reuse the front clip I saved on the 67-71 Jeepster if I found one. I did find a 71 Jeepster in Montana, but he could never give me a time and date to come get it- he was always out of town, or busy with something else. Oh well, what's meant to be is meant to be, what's not, is not meant to be.

At any rate, I dig the classic lines of the early wags, so it's in the back garage, scrubbed clean, new rims have been ordered and a TH400 modulator is waiting to be installed with new vacuum lines to correct the shifting issues (I hope) and I have 1414X seat brackets on the way to mount the bucket seats- the grass growing on the bench seat is interesting, but not something I'm in to right now.

I've got more time than money, so no rush on this one.

Edit 6/3/15 @ 1:17pm

I replaced the modulator and cleaned up & repaired the vacuum lines and she shifts just like she should.

I made a big mistake and trusted the after-market gas gauge and got stranded about a mile from the house. Lol.

Edit 6/13/15 9:18

I have been fixing a few minor things here and there.

- 4wd shifter shifter disassembled, cleaned greased, reassembled and operational.
- new thermostat
- muffler tail pipe installed so it doesn't dump straight on the passenger side shock
- chase down and fix a rattle due to the skimpy recover hitch ball being lose.
- door rattle fixed
- rear shocks repainted to mask paint damage from muffler.
Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

62Thriftside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 62Thriftside »

Hey guys is this normal, grass growing under the front seat? Lol! Image

These are the new ones we put in!! Image

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Topic author
66stepside

1965 S'Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

Home Depot maiden voyage. A bit of steering play, a few shimmys, but otherwise flawless.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks for the shifter knob 44bz!

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Looks like it belongs there;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

44bz wrote:Looks like it belongs there;)

Thanks! I was going to make a super wagoneer / 1414X clone, but now I'm not so sure.

https://youtu.be/MYSf85QWdds

CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

66stepside wrote:
44bz wrote:Looks like it belongs there;)

Thanks! I was going to make a super wagoneer / 1414X clone, but now I'm not so sure.

https://youtu.be/MYSf85QWdds
Excellent music selection.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Lol, thanks!

The rims came.

They were promptly cleaned and painted.

I re-wired the windshield wipers and they work now. So, naturally I bought replacement wiper blades as the ones on her were dry rotted.