1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1966 (1968?) Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:
66stepside wrote:
twisted frame wrote:I have a Belleview that works but needs to be gone through. Great score on the Ramsey!
That Belleview sounds like a cool score- got pics of that? I love the period correct accessories.

Thanks!
The Jeep is stored elsewhere and I haven't been out to it in about a month. Pics of the winch next time. I know the original owner installed it or had it installed, possibly from day 1. I'm the third owner of my truck and the guy before me said he snapped the winch cable while dragging a water heater out of someone's basement. :roll:
Whoa. That snapping cable would've been good to get on video!

I mocked up the stock bumper, roughly 9 1/2 inches from the forward tip of the grill support. But I'm not digging it. So back to stock for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote:I mocked up the stock bumper, roughly 9 1/2 inches from the forward tip of the grill support. But I'm not digging it. So back to stock for now.

So are those diagonals you have in there part of the stock bumper relocation kit when mounting a winch behind the stock 3-pc bumper, as opposed to using the Ramsey or Warn optional winch bumpers? I have seen FSJs with the stock chrome bumpers pushed forward like this with a winch mounted between the bumper and valance/body sheet metal but I always wondered if those were just home-brewed ways of retaining the stock bumper or if it was factory-ish.

At any rate, I agree, I'm not into the pushed forward bumper look either - there's just so much space to fill up on either side of the winch and it feels like the bumper corners are flapping in the breeze, even if one chooses to install some sort of sheet stock to mount lights on or something like that. Most of the time I saw this setup was on Cape Cod where the Jeep might have a winch and then a cooler hold-down spot and fishing rod holders/rocket launchers.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:
66stepside wrote:I mocked up the stock bumper, roughly 9 1/2 inches from the forward tip of the grill support. But I'm not digging it. So back to stock for now.

So are those diagonals you have in there part of the stock bumper relocation kit when mounting a winch behind the stock 3-pc bumper, as opposed to using the Ramsey or Warn optional winch bumpers? I have seen FSJs with the stock chrome bumpers pushed forward like this with a winch mounted between the bumper and valance/body sheet metal but I always wondered if those were just home-brewed ways of retaining the stock bumper or if it was factory-ish.

At any rate, I agree, I'm not into the pushed forward bumper look either - there's just so much space to fill up on either side of the winch and it feels like the bumper corners are flapping in the breeze, even if one chooses to install some sort of sheet stock to mount lights on or something like that. Most of the time I saw this setup was on Cape Cod where the Jeep might have a winch and then a cooler hold-down spot and fishing rod holders/rocket launchers.

Man, sorry I didn't post a reply sooner- I don't think I saw a notification for a reply to the thread.

I used the "old" brackets from the custom HD bumper I built for the 66 truck that had a J Series roll bar cut, spliced and grafted to it as a kind of brush guard/cattle catcher do-hickey- thingy-ma-jig. Haha, at any rate, I caught the rear quarter of a deer with it near Ford, WA. and while it saved the front clip, it bent the outside hoop and I reverted back to the bumper currently on the 66. So, no, not stock brackets.

I saved only the mounting brackets and scrapped the rest of the bumper.

Fast forward to today, I tried to sell the jeep to fund a concrete floor. But seeing as how I still have her, I'll tap into savings for the concrete floor and move along at a snail's pace.

A small thing:

I put a smaller spare receiver hitch ball on the weak bumper hitch to have another way to move the truck bed trailer around and it seems to work just fine. I don't think I'd tow a loaded trailer with it, empty seems fine. Weirdly enough, there's no wiring harness to plug into the trailer despite the hitch.

I am clearing out the garage of everything that's near the floor and putting it all, most of it anyway, into the box van body trailer, so on April 3rd the concrete contractor will be here- so my gravel "floor" has to be to grade and rebar laid out and wired. Busy weekend ahead.

I've also been cleaning up the loft and separating the "save" pieces from the "sell off" pile.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Foo fighters!

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

44bz wrote:Foo fighters!

Hahaha, I had to buy a flag at that concert at the Gorge. Best. Concert. Ever.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

66stepside wrote:
44bz wrote:Foo fighters!

Hahaha, I had to buy a flag at that concert at the Gorge. Best. Concert. Ever.

I don't blame you, Dave F'ing Grohl! Am I right? I saw your new wag on Craigslist. How come you're getting out so soon?

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

You should lay radiant tubing in the floor before it's poured. Even if it's a few years before you can make the system functional, having a radiant heated garage floor is the cats meow. Not very expensive for the tubing and only a little effort to lay it down.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Dave for sure. Even with a broken leg, he rocked it.

I tried to sell it to cover some of the cost of the new shop floor so I wouldn't have to dip into savings.

I had about an inch of standing water in some places! But I'm getting gravel delivered soon and renting a front end loader to move it all- then on to rebar all before April 3rd when the concrete comes. I am cautiously pessimistic about finally getting a concrete floor.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:You should lay radiant tubing in the floor before it's poured. Even if it's a few years before you can make the system functional, having a radiant heated garage floor is the cats meow. Not very expensive for the tubing and only a little effort to lay it down.

I'm glad you brought that up. I would love to be able to do that. Aside from saving up to pay cash for the floor, another reason it's been so long in getting concrete is researching various forms of radiant heating. Geothermal, hot water tanks, electricity- you name it, I've looked in to it.

What I've found is that to do it right, I'd have to dig down another 3-5 inches, lay down insulated barriers to direct the heat up toward the concrete, and without geothermal energy, I'd need 3-4 tanks and several pumps to keep the temperature at about a constant 60 degrees. Geothermal- digging, not drilling, requires a rather large area to be dug up for the tubes. To have that done is roughly 40,000 and up depending on the size of the space you wanted to heat.

While it can be done and some materials are cheaper, I don't have the space to dig up that much of my yard for the tubes for the transfer of the geo heat, and I do not have the space to hold the tanks and pumps necessary to pull it off.

I've read up on cabins off the grid using hot water tanks for radiant heating, but those cabins are pretty small. I've also seen single, and two car garages use water heaters for radiant heating, but I've got just over twice the square footage, and 1.5 x the height. So just based on volume, any system would have to be at least twice the size. I am pretty much In-between a rock and a hard place.

I think I over insulated my shop: r-30 in the ceilings with foam backed r-7 instead of sheet rock for support. R-21 in the walls, and in-between the purlins, I stuck aluminum backed R-8. It's a three tab roof, house wrapped and tar papered exterior over OSB, then sided it. So, my hope is that when I finally get the floor done, I can use the existing pellet stove to make it tolerable in the winter! Haha.

All in all, I'd love to use radiate heat. But I don't think I could pull it off economically.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Social Distortion concert tonight. Sold out. Great show!

tedlovesjeeps71

Damn... must be nice to have a life!
Did Mike do any of his stuff from his solo albums? I really dig his cover of "Big Iron".

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Damn... must be nice to have a life! Image
Did Mike do any of his stuff from his solo albums? I really dig his cover of "Big Iron".

Hahaha, I get out of my cage on occasion, but not often enough! Image

They played for about two hours, he ran through a combo of early stuff and some of his solo work. All in all, he worked the crowd over pretty well and show cased his skills on the guitar, too. They went through several set lists, he put those roadies and technicians to work!

tedlovesjeeps71

66stepside wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Damn... must be nice to have a life! Image

Hahaha, I get out of my cage on occasion, but not often enough! Image

They played for about two hours, he ran through a combo of early stuff and some of his solo work. All in all, he worked the crowd over pretty well and show cased his skills on the guitar, too. They went through several set lists, he put those roadies and technicians to work!

Man I miss being young. I kinda gave up on SocialD after the Prison Bound album because it got kinda weird. When he started putting out his solo stuff I found it on accident. Really good stuff.
Not many artists can find their way back to what made them good and cool. Brian Setzer tried and his solo stuff is hit or miss. Mad skills but not consistent in his material.
I just wish Metallica would pull their head out and go back to making good metal.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 (1968?) Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

Yeah, the journey of the artist(s) can be an interesting ride for the audience over time.

It should be an evolution of sorts balanced with staying true to the roots.

What surprised me the most about last night's concert was how many older fans still were stuck in 1978-1985, yet to hear Ness mention his own personal story, his evolution intellectually, emotionally, and, of course, addictions- and actually talking politics in between sets was a bit ironic considering so many stuck in a long-gone era. The occasional "confession/revelation sessions" seemed a little lost on those who were still stuck in a decade.

Yeah, the Stray Cats, Phantom, Rocker and Slick, Brian Setzer went more rockabilly, but the evolution of the Stray Cats' respective journeys seemed a bit forced- and although quite honestly good in it's own right overall, still loosely based on Social Distortion's vibe perhaps, although Social hails from the West Coast circa 1978, the Cats are from New York, circa 1979.

Metallica sure did deviate from their roots, maybe when Cliff died, enough of their mojo died with them. I saw them in concert back in 1986(?), they blew away the other bands in the Monsters of Rock Tour. One of my favorite songs still to this day is "One". The band even bought the rights to a book and movie "Jonny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo so they could use the footage in their music video- the extended version. That song, like most of their early stuff still holds up all these years later.

I dig all kinds of music, and my Pandora account has just about every kind of music imaginable.

tedlovesjeeps71

So out of curiosity, what direction did Mike take in his political offerings? I am curious if he has come more towards center/right as most folks tend to do as we age. Not wanting to create a political debate as I think it's frowned on here, just curious.
And I'm with you on "One". As a long time soldier it has long since been one of my favorites. A dark part of me often wondered if I'd end up in a similar condition. Thankfully (I guess) I only lost some of my abilities.
For those who haven't seen the movie, it is good. A little slow(?) compared to much made after but an interesting watch.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

He rallied against the left and the right a little- extremism on both ends. He mentioned getting news from a variety of sources- and indicated NPR wasn't "fake news".

All told, I suppose it was a moderate approach, or he was bantering with the crowd to gauge their political leanings. I would imagine most in the crowd, based upon the number of facial piercings, mohawks, and concert T's, I would've figured the audience was on the left.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

8+ yards of pea gravel to bring it to level- including a gentle drainage slope.

Nearly 80 pieces of 3/8th inch rebar 16 on center, tied together. Double reinforced at the entrance and where a 4 post lift might go one day.

Form for the leading edge is in- all of this "only took" a week for me hammer out- but I'm ready for the concrete tomorrow.

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

Very nice. I'm sure you're glad to finally be at this stage of the game. It has taken you bit but it's finally paying off and with that 4 post lift brother that's a game changer.

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That looks sweet. Just imagine pulling in there for the first time after the floor is all done. That won't get old for quite some time I bet!

Can you fit 4 rigs in there, total?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

1966 (1968?) Wagoneer Build

Post by 66stepside »

I'm pretty pumped swampedge- tomorrow at 7am it'll start. 4 post lift is a dream, but now that summer is here, swap meets are in the near future, so anything is possible.

twisted frame, I am imagining it, and I'll have to probably rearrange the cabinets and whatnot. Always more work to do. Yeah, it fits four full sized rigs.

Oh yeah, the back spacing on the 66's rims is 5". I measured the full sized spare.