76 Wagoneer on a Dodge frame

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Re: 76 Wagoneer on a Dodge frame

Post by WaggyGuy »

Update time. I got all of the accessories on the engine along with new plugs. The wires were pretty much new, so I went ahead and put them back on.

From there I decided to pull the transmission pan so I could replace the leaking gasket. I don't think tranny fluid is supposed to look like this...

The picture doesn't quite do it justice. It was dark almost like motor oil, which is surprising since the previous owner had the transmission worked on (supposedly) about 6 months before I got it.

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

So this weekend I got to work on it some more. I started to pull the dash and realized it would be infinitely easier with the windshield out. Since the windshield was full of cracks and was discolored anyway, I decided to take it out. I have to admit that this was the most concerning part of the project. I've seen the stories of the rust people have found around the windshield. Well, I think I got lucky because all I found was surface rust that will be cleaned up.

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

On a side note, who's the drunken moron of an "engineer" who designed the windshield set up on these things? I talked to a glass shop about getting a new windshield when I need it. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Can you guys get windows for older Jeep, like a '76?
Him: Sure, a CJ?
Me: No, a Wagoneer.
Him: Oh, wow. Um, yeah that's a tough one...
Me: Oh yeah?
Him: Yeah, it's about a 5 hour job and takes several guys. Most glass shops won't do them.
Me: Really?
Him: Yeah, it will be about $500.

He explained why the glass shops don't like to do them, which I understand now that I've removed the windshield. Are they really that hard to replace yourself? Seems like you put the gasket around glass, put trim in gasket, install windshield like other windshields with gaskets and insert screws. Am I missing something???

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

Anyway, back to the update. With the windshield out of the way, I pulled the dash:

With the dash out, I pulled the heater and everything else out of the inside of the Jeep. I also pulled the heater box and blower from the engine side of the firewall.

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

And with a clean firewall, I could tackle the one firewall modification that needed to be made. I was originally planning to use the Dodge steering column and brake booster/MC, but after seeing how much modification would be needed I decided against it. Instead, I'm going to re-use the Waggy steering column and brakes. If the brakes don't work well enough, I'll upgrade later.

I'm going to use the Dodge wiring harness, so the Wagoneer bulkhead connector won't work. The dodge is a 3.5" circle, where the Jeep uses a 3" (I think) square. Luckily, I planned ahead for this and kept a section of the Dodge firewall. The plan of attack was simple, cut a section of dodge firewall and burn it in where I need it.

Jeep firewall originally looked like:

So I cut this piece from the Dodge firewall:

And ended up with this:

It is tacked in well enough. I'm not planning to fully weld all the way around, as this isn't a structural piece. I'm going to clean up the tack welds and then I want to use some sort of epoxy or sealer around the edges. Can anyone recommend a product? I've seen in the Dodge (and the 2 Jeeps I chopped up on my previous project) that they use some kind of substance on seems to seal them up, but I don't know what it is.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

This is what I've been using: 3M 08361 Ultrapro Gray Urethane Seam Sealer. There are other brands that fit a regular caulking gun. Lord Fusor come to mind.

You got the windshield installation backerds. Sealant in the gasket groove, gasket on the pinch weld, sealant in the glass groove, install glass, seat the lock strip, install the trim. Spose to prime the glass first too.

Haven't done it yet but that's what the Manual says.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Your glass guy is full of it. A decent glazier can do an FSJ windshield swap in about an hour. I've swapped in used glass, which is much more dangerous with a helper and while it's tough without the proper tools, is not impossible.
I suggest you contact a safelite dealer and get one installed for around 225.00.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

Not much in the way of an update. Spent last weekend cleaning/painting inner fenders. I got a new master cylinder and dual diaphragm brake booster, so brake lines will be made soon. I finished attaching the engine to the tranny and got the inspection plate and starter installed.

I have two questions about the fenders. There is about a 2" or 3" strip along the edge of the inner fender that I'm assuming is some kind of seal between the inner and outer fender. I'm not sure what it is made of, but it's pretty stiff and nasty. First question is how in the heck did they STAPLE that to a metal fender? Second question is do I need to replace them or can I run without them. I'm assuming they keep water and gunk from coming up between the two pieces, which I'm not too worried about but do they serve any other purpose? Ok, I lied, I have a third question. Is there a cheap/easy way to replace them?

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

Finally have an update on this project. I had taken some time away from the Waggy to work on a new (to me) camper that needed a lot of work. Now that I got that sorted out, it's time to get back to work! I finished the front passenger body mount, which gave me a body mount at each of the 4 corners of the cab. Now that I know everything is lined up and square, I decided to start putting the fenders and front clip on. Apparently I didn't get any pictures of this process, but you're all Jeep guys, you know how it goes. Lol.

Looks like I've got plenty of room for everything, so that was good to see.

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

With everything fitting well, I then threw on the outer fenders and hood.

I crossed my fingers, said a quick prayer to the Jeep gods and slowly closed the hood. Looks like I've got enough clearance above the engine!

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

Once I double (and triple) checked angles and spacing, it was time to fab the mounts under the grille. I used some 2x1" tube, some 2" angle iron and some 1/2" angle iron and came up with this

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I think it will work. I'll probably go back and burn in a gusset connecting the vertical part to the horizontal part for more strength. I made two of them thinking that both sides would be the same. Well, I was WRONG. The driver side frame is shaped differently, so I'll have to come up with a mount for that side.

I'm happy this thing is finally looking like a Jeep again. I get a grin on my face every time I walk into the garage now.

ezliving

Post by ezliving »

Found this very interesting. Plan on similar project with my 78 Cherokee Chief. Am looking for an early 90's 12 valve diesel rig for a donor. Lots of similar issues with rust etc. Will refer to this a bunch I am sure. Thanks again for sharing.
78 Cherokee Avatar II.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
78 Cherokee Chief Sport

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

I've been making some small progress on the Jeep and yesterday I finally did a couple things worthy of a thread update (I think). Since I cut a section out of the frame and shortened it, I needed a new rear brake line. So, I finally got out my flaring kit and got to work. I bent a new line and got it installed.

Not a great shot of the finished product, but brake lines aren't exactly glamorous stuff.

After that I decided it was time to finally install the gas tank. This was a pretty big moment. My measurements told me that it should fit, but I didn't know for sure. Well, I got my answer. It fits front to back, which was my concern. It does not fit, however, top to bottom. The sending unit on top of the tank hits the floor of the Jeep. It looks like I need about 3 inches of clearance to make it work.

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

After that I decided it was time to finally install the gas tank. This was a pretty big moment. My measurements told me that it should fit, but I didn't know for sure. Well, I got my answer. It fits front to back, which was my concern. It does not fit, however, top to bottom. The sending unit on top of the tank hits the floor of the Jeep. It looks like I need about 3 inches of clearance to make it work.

Here's the tank. It is the factory tank out of the Dodge Ram

Here is my problem area

The way I see it, I have 3 options:

1. Get a new tank and put it in the back. I don't want to do this for a number of reasons but mainly because I currently have my spare tire carrier under the back of the Jeep and want to keep it that way. Other factors are cost of another tank and the fact that using a different tank will require me to figure out fuel pump, pressure regulator, etc.
2. Lift the body. I can get a 3 inch body lift that will cure my problem. The problem is the Jeep is already a bit taller than I'd like. I'm also on the fence about running a body lift.
3. Cut the floor. I'm leaning toward going with this option. I could cut out a section of the floor and replace it with a 3 inch tall "box" if that makes sense. If I do this, I'll make it so that I can access the fuel pump without having to drop the tank.

Anyone have any thoughts/input on option 3? The box would be located from the tranny tunnel moving toward the drive side of the vehicle and would be right in front of the "step down" in the floor where the back seat is. My only concern here is that I'd prefer to keep the fold-down function of my back seat if possible.

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

Well, since my hopes and dreams of installing the tank were crushed, I moved inside the Jeep to see how I wanted to cut the floor. I got some project ADD and ended up working on the steering column instead. I had previously decided to use the Jeep steering column, but due to differences in the shift gate and the fact that it isn't a tilt column I decided to go with the Ram column. I modified the firewall plate to work with the thicker tube and also welded on a new mount where the column bolts to the brake pedal bracket.

This gives me direct plug and play with the Dodge wiring harness. It also gives me tilt and various controls at my fingertips.

For grins I put the Durango driver seat in place and sat down to see how things felt. Nothing like sitting in a semi-finished project to crank up the motivation to get it done!

SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

Thanks for the update! Coming up with different ways to tackle issues with a build is a really interesting challenge.
[Cuttently with my daughter in Colorado] 1978 Jeep Cherokee w/ 360 4bbl and 4spd
[Sigh, sold] 1982 Toyota Truck w/ 22R and 5spd

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

SkiingNinja wrote:Thanks for the update! Coming up with different ways to tackle issues with a build is a really interesting challenge.
It's funny that the part I hate this most is also the part I enjoy the most.

Dug around and found the rear seat mounting brackets and test fit the rear seat. I've got plenty of room to cut the floor and add a "box", so I think I'll go that route. I need 3 inches, so I'll probably build a 4 inch box just to be safe.

SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

Yeah, dealing with the issue in the beginning can be a bummer but once you come up with a solution, you get to feel like a genius.
[Cuttently with my daughter in Colorado] 1978 Jeep Cherokee w/ 360 4bbl and 4spd
[Sigh, sold] 1982 Toyota Truck w/ 22R and 5spd

Atla

Post by Atla »

Good build and good progress!
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

Well, now that the holidays are over I figured it was time to get back to work. Autozone had a 20% off sale, so I decided to pick up a radiator and get it installed. After some research and measurements, I decided to go with a radiator out of a 96 Dodge Dakota with the 5.2L. The 5.2 uses the same water pump as my 5.9, so I figured the hoses and such would work.

First order of business was to take off the brackets. This radiator has side brackets that are bolted on at the top and bottom. I needed the mounting flange on the front instead of the back, so I pulled the brackets off so I could flip them to the opposite side. I also cut off part of the bracket on one side that was going to get in the way.

Before:

During:

After: