1975 j-20 wrecker

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 1975 j-20 wrecker

Post by Stuka »

Great to see an update on this!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

This is awesome! Only thing better would be a crewcab. Haha.
Do you plan to run a.c. in addition to heat? I'd think a stand alone heater could be mounted someplace else creatively. A.C. may prove more tricky. Can't wait to see this thing rolling along. Great work sir! *salute!*

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Are you making the "dog house" in the cab removable? I would think a setup similar to how full size Dodge B vans or Econolines and such have the sealed/insulated removable cover would be very helpful for future maintenance so you don't have to pull the motor or jack up the cab to be able to get to the rearmost bolts and components. Very nice work by the way, love seeing this come together!

Topic author
nimbus09

Post by nimbus09 »

Here's another update
Since you last saw the truck I have swapped transmissions, finished the dog house and mounted the coolers, inner fenders and a couple other odds and ends

I lifted the cab again to make removing the 5-speed and installing the 6-speed a little easier

I got lucky and a truck at work was written off and I was able to grab the 6-speed trans this was awesome considering my 5 speed was missing 3rd and 4th for unknown reasons

As soon as I got the 6 speed in I realized I had somehow managed to pop the shift fork off when transporting it so it came back out and got opened up to pop the fork back on, I put it back in the truck but forgot the clutch linkage and throw out bearing so it will have to come out again at some point. A new tranny crossmember was made and the drive shaft lengths will need to be adjusted later

With the new tranny in I purchased a downpipe for the turbo so I could continue the doghouse. I did the driver side first but forgot to take pictures but here's the passenger side. I have a welding blanket over the engine and exhaust but you can kind of make out the down pipe and how tight the area is

The dog house is made in two pieces so it might be possible to remove it with the dash in place, I started with the outside frame that bolts to the body then cut and formed panels to make the various curves. I tried to make it as close to the exhaust as thought I could to save some passenger foot room but not get to hot at the same time. Hopefully some exhaust wrap will keep the heat on the floor to a minimum.

With the engine moved back I had room to mount the coolers up front the header panel was notched out to put the inner cooler inside in then the rad bolts to the back

The mounts that support the bottom of the coolers as well as the front clip took way longer then I would have liked but I am happy with the result

Here you can see the three pieces I'm hoping to support from left to right the front clip the inner cooler then the rad all rubber mounted

I then made a plate that meets all of their different heights and another plate that bolts to the frame

Then attached them together and added some strength

I managed to get most of the inner fenders in just had to trim some at the front for the wider coolers and I also mounted the brake master cylinder to the firewall and attached it to the jeep pedals

(Frame on jack stands not actual ride height)

Making progress a little at a time but getting there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Myles Magnusson

'75 j-20 wrecker
'77 Cherokee chief (parts)
'91 yj wrangler

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Looking awesome!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I LOVE IT!!!

Damn, now you got me thinking about mine...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

letank

Post by letank »

Very very impressive, I guess we can learn new tricks... thank you for posting all the detailled steps and pictures
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
nimbus09

Post by nimbus09 »

Time for another update

I had the brake master cylinder mounted previously but I had it mounted farther driver side then it wanted to be due to the intake of the engine this made for an awkward pedal linkage and little room for the clutch master cylinder I also lowered the inner fenders to make a shelf and some more engine bay room

My old man finally convinced me to get rid of the weird pedal linkage and just put the master cylinder were its supposed to be then make a new intake. This lined the master cylinder up to the brake pedal and made room for the clutch master cylinder

The new intake had to come forward in front of the master cylinder

I made a new 1/4" flange for the intake heater then pie cut 3" exhaust tube to make the bends and welded it to the stock intercooler line for the hose barb

I also added a gusset on the bottom to stiffen it up a bit, a post to mount the dip stick, and a port for a boost pressure gauge

I also did a little finishing in the cab including mounting the t case shifter, closing in the trans shifter hole to take a shifter boot and made some seat rails for some air ride seats I found locally

I also made a gauge pod for the pyro boost and fuel pressure guages

Also with a big dog house in the way I had to look at the heater system. I started by moving the blower motor and heater core housing over as far passenger side and a high as I could

Then I modified the heater core box to dump air into the cab closer to the passenger side

The stock air box inside didn't fit with the dog house but I was able to cut it apart and weld it back together in a way that it fits mostly under the passenger side of the dash with two defroster hoses that run over to the driver side one for defrost and one for floor heat

Lots of other little things have been done to the truck including the rear main and mounting the front bumper

The master cylinder held me up for almost a year but now that I've got that figured out things are flowing again most of the work in this post was done in the last two weeks got the fire re lit.

Myles Magnusson

'75 j-20 wrecker
'91 yj wrangler

Topic author
nimbus09

Post by nimbus09 »

Time for another update

I had the brake master cylinder mounted previously but I had it mounted farther driver side then it wanted to be due to the intake of the engine this made for an awkward pedal linkage and little room for the clutch master cylinder I also lowered the inner fenders to make a shelf and some more engine bay room

My old man finally convinced me to get rid of the weird pedal linkage and just put the master cylinder were its supposed to be then make a new intake. This lined the master cylinder up to the brake pedal and made room for the clutch master cylinder

The new intake had to come forward in front of the master cylinder

I made a new 1/4" flange for the intake heater then pie cut 3" exhaust tube to make the bends and welded it to the stock intercooler line for the hose barb

I also added a gusset on the bottom to stiffen it up a bit, a post to mount the dip stick, and a port for a boost pressure gauge

I also did a little finishing in the cab including mounting the t case shifter, closing in the trans shifter hole to take a shifter boot and made some seat rails for some air ride seats I found locally

I also made a gauge pod for the pyro boost and fuel pressure guages

Also with a big dog house in the way I had to look at the heater system. I started by moving the blower motor and heater core housing over as far passenger side and a high as I could

Then I modified the heater core box to dump air into the cab closer to the passenger side

The stock air box inside didn't fit with the dog house but I was able to cut it apart and weld it back together in a way that it fits mostly under the passenger side of the dash with two defroster hoses that run over to the driver side one for defrost and one for floor heat

Lots of other little things have been done to the truck including the rear main and mounting the front bumper

The master cylinder held me up for almost a year but now that I've got that figured out things are flowing again most of the work in this post was done in the last two weeks got the fire re lit.

Myles Magnusson

'75 j-20 wrecker
'91 yj wrangler

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Great progress. Not crazy on color, but love those seats, nice score. I might have to use your gauge pods in something, they look great.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Txrangers20

Post by Txrangers20 »

Nice truck. I have a 1978 Jeep Cherokee project that’s almost finished. I really want a J Seris truck as well. I notice it’s been awhile. How’s the truck now?

Txrangers20

Post by Txrangers20 »

Nice truck. I’ve got a 78’ Cherokee Cheif project that’s almost finished. I really want to have a J seris truck eventually. Nice truck. I notice it’s been awhile, what’s it look like now?

Txrangers20

Post by Txrangers20 »

Sorry I thought the first post didn’t go but apparently it did