1975 j-20 wrecker

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

berettajeep

Re: 1975 j-20 wrecker

Post by berettajeep »

Here is the stock '74 pieces.

and these were in a stock '79 cluster I bought

I like the look of the '74's better and it was easy to swap them. You can see where I used a small drill bit to remove the ones I did not want and then super glued the ones I wanted back in.
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Atla

Post by Atla »

Good pictures of the draining Nimbus! Now I need to go work on putting screen on that vent...
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Thanks nimbus! I'll link those excellent photos to the other thread. With that cowl removed those leak areas are much easier to identify.
Many of us will benefit from your photos!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
nimbus09

1975 j-20 wrecker

Post by nimbus09 »

Okay Guys and Gals, Time for another update on some of the work I have completed this winter
since the last time you heard from me I have spent some spare time working on the cab and some small interior pieces.

cowl pinch weld

The first area I attacked was the pinch weld hidden under the cowl that I showed earlier, removed spotwelds and opened it up and found the easier way to fix the pinch weld area was to replace the inner kickpanels on both sides of the cab I also repaired the small hole in the cowl itself.

kick panels

Here is the driver side kick panel you can see the rust on the bottom edge but there is also rust spots behind where the dash would be and above the cowl so out come more spot welds and the whole panel is removed

here is the passenger side removed this also helps show the drainage path, and some potential rust.

I used the old panel (and my imagination in the spots that where long gone) to trace out a shape onto some new 20 gauge steel.

I cut the rough shape using an angle grinder, the final shape will be ground back later to fit the vehicle exactly.

I had to recreate these bulges in order to clear the lower door hinge when the door is closed.
I also welded in nuts for the dash to bolt onto later.

I bit of fitting and trimming and I'm happy with the final result. This was done for both the passenger and driver side

front door sill/ pillars

This picture shows some of the rust on the pillars as they curve down to the door sill plate

rusted area was cut out and replaced on both front pillars (rears were more complex, saved them for later)

roof panels/upper door frame

The next item to be fixed was the roof panels, pictured here is a rust hole on the top of the door frame where the door seal would meet up

all inner panels were removed (more spot welds) then some panels were repaired as required and some replaced (more coming soon on this)

pictured above was the hard part and i didn't get many pictures during the process but the whole top edge of the door frame has been replaced and carefully welded back in

rear door sill/pillar

Here is the pillar on the rear driver side before and after.

The next items coming soon are (most likely in this order)
-passenger side rear pillar
-both cab corners
-floors
-rockers
-replace inner roof panels ( i have left them off to sandblast and seal later)

I have also ordered and received floor pans and rockers from classic to current fabrication (c2c) I am impressed so far with the quality and will show more on this when i get around to putting them in,(might do a full review/install guide if enough people are interested) I want to thank TitaniaDieKrieger for giving me a quick review on C2C panels and convincing me to go this route, it was the most cost effective panels I could find and look good so far

Another quick update before I end this post is the dash I was working on earlier

I ended up using the cluster panel from my parts Cherokee as it was in way better condition, I hand painted the silver outlines with a small brush and car modelist paint i had laying around, I plan to use the original heater control inserts (older style like the 74 style posted earlier) and gauges (much simpler looking, mph instead of the more cluttered mph and kmph) I will also use the lenses that I polished earlier, and most likely the chrome knobs from the Cherokee as they are in better condition.

Finally thanks again to everyone that contributes to the forums both in the form of moderators that keep things running smoothly, and also other users for sharing great information.
If anyone would like any specific pictures of my truck I would be glad to help you out, having almost every removable panel off sure helps you understand how these things were put together

Thanks again and I hope to update again soon.
Last edited by nimbus09 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myles Magnusson

'75 j-20 wrecker
'77 Cherokee chief (parts)
'91 yj wrangler

Mikel

Post by Mikel »

Wow. Incredible metal work.

Topic author
nimbus09

1975 j-20 wrecker

Post by nimbus09 »

Thanks Mikel! I think its time for another update.

I've got a fair bit done on the cab since my last post, wish I had taken more pictures, but I'll share what I have.

I think the next thing I worked on was the cab corners and I spent a lot of hours on these.

I started with the passenger side since it was the worst, I drilled out any spot welds I could get to then cut the rest with an angle grinder and a hacksaw blade being careful not to bend or distort the cab corner so I could use it to make the new one.

Here is the old beside the new. It wasn't quite done in this picture but I don't have a picture of it finished and separate from the cab, once I had the finished shape I welded it back onto the cab and repeated the process on the other side, I did not weld it back to the rocker as those were being replaced.

At this time i also replaced the bottom of the pillar where it meets the sill, I ended up doing this front and rear for both sides.

The next major step was the rocker panels and again I don't have a lot of pictures on this, the first thing I did was support the door frames and structure of the cab with 1 inch steel tubing so the doors would close again in the future this is shown in later pictures.

Then i carefully removed the old rockers, its temping to rip and tear them off but taking them off in as few pieces as possible lets you use them as a guide on the new panels.

I ordered replacement rocker panels and floor panels from Classic To Current fabrication (c2c). I have mixed opinions on these panels, it is great that some company's are still making them but the fit on these particular rocker panels left a bit to be desired. There was lots of bending and hammering and swearing in order to get them to follow the shape of the fender and cab corner, but I've heard this is normal with all replacement panels.

One thing to check is that you have the right panels (driver side vs passenger side) as the panels I received were mislabeled, it does matter because the angle where the rocker meets the fender is different then the angle where it meets the cab corner.

I didn't find anybody that makes the inner rocker panels so i ended up making my own, unfortunately I don't have pictures but they are fairly straight forward. I basically traced the old inners and then used a sheet metal brake at my old high school to bend up the two sides, unfortunately the brake was about 4 inches short so I did each inner in two pieces then welded them back together, I also hammered in drainage notches similar to the original panel.

If you look close at this picture you can see how I left the cab corner unfinished so I could match it to the rocker, putting a fender back on gives you something to match the curve of the rocker up to getting them to match was the hardest part.

The floors were relatively straight forward, I layed the new panel over the old floor and traced it out, then made a new line 1/2 back from the traced line and cut there, next using a flange tool I pressed a flange along the cut edge this makes for a strong panel connection with no raised edge and no gap to weld

I have since reinstalled the cross member on the floor and done lots of little finishing welds and grinding once all the metal work is done i plan to strip all the paint and get the cab in a coat of self etch primer then I will do the body work from there.

I have big plans for this truck and would like to thank all the members of this forum, looking through other peoples projects helps me stay motivated on mine.
Last edited by nimbus09 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myles Magnusson

'75 j-20 wrecker
'91 yj wrangler

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Man you are trucking on this project. Outstanding work on the cab, can't wait to see the rest of the progression.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Awesome work.

I'm feeling a little bad for not diving into mine, yet in the same breath, I'm glad mine is an Az truck...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You are doing some top notch body work there!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Mikel

Post by Mikel »

You do great work. And at 17 years old???

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oolah10293

Post by Oolah10293 »

Impressive! Wish I had those skills

Topic author
nimbus09

1975 j-20 wrecker

Post by nimbus09 »

Thank you guys again for your encouragement!
I'm very excited to share the latest update on this project. I've been wondering for a while what direction to take this, but I now have a plan for this truck that centers around these next pictures.

That is a 98 ram 3500 cab and chassis.

The good
-4 wheel drive
-Manual 5 speed
-A 24 valve cummins engine
-A limited slip rear end with 3.55s
-A multi speed pto driven hydraulic pump with mechanical yoke that will work with the winch
-A salvage title due to a bail that got dropped on the roof.

The bad
-Front axle vacuum disconnect is not working (no 4x4)
-3rd and 4th gear do not engage (possibly bent shift fork)
-Limited slip needs new clutches
-164" wheelbase

I paid $3000 for the truck, it has 275000 km on it and runs strong, has a Dana 60 front axle and a Dana 80 dual rear wheel rear axle, I would have preferred the 134" wheelbase as it is close enough to my truck currently (131") but I can make the 164" work by moving the rear axle forward.
I plan to put my cab and wrecker body on that frame and widen the wrecker body to fit over the duals, I very much want to keep the look of the truck original but there will be some visual modifications such as the added width and I plan to build tool boxes into the bed.

This truck will hopefully be a fully capable tow/service truck that I can use as a daily driver, as well as a tow rig for my fathers 71 scamp on race day

just waiting on some paperwork and some free time to jump into this next big step, but I will definitely keep you guys updated
Last edited by nimbus09 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myles Magnusson

'75 j-20 wrecker
'91 yj wrangler

1986j10

Post by 1986j10 »

I just noticed your post. I grew up in the 75 tow truck you now have. My name is Brain Cash and my dad owned cash motors & autobody in Humboldt SK. In 1975 when we got the jeep brand new I was 6 years old my brother was 9 we have a picture of both of us hanging out the drivers window. the truck was painted a few times. and your right it was in a fire. In 1991 the shop burnt down and the bay that the truck was in was the last area to burn we were able to get the door open and pull it out before the whole thing went up in flames. I Think insurance sold it to someone in Saskatoon I am guessing the guy you got it from. it was kept inside all of its life and very well maintained. Because we had the jeep dealership and full time mechanics and body men it was well taken care of. It just awesome to see the pictures on line and to link to this site, the first picture I saw was in the field and I thought that looks just like are old truck. then I saw the picture with the name on the side and was happy to see it was indeed our truck. I called my dad and sent him a link to your posts I am sure he will be very excited to see that it is being restored. It was a big part of our life growing up I have a lot of hours behind the wheel of that truck my brother may even have more. as we both drove the truck and pull out vehicles and picked up wrecks for the body shop when we were old enough to drive. if you want to know anything about it just send me an email If I don't know my dad will.
By the way good job on the repairs so far.
Brian Cash
brianjcash@hotmail.com

1986j10

Post by 1986j10 »

http://stores.zmjeeps.com/fender-fiberg ... -t-fsj-lh/
there are fiberglass replacement fenders available if you want. the front fenders are notorious for rusting regardless of how you take care of them. especially living in Canada.

1986j10

Post by 1986j10 »

what are you doing with the original jeep drive train?

Topic author
nimbus09

Post by nimbus09 »

Thank you for your reply, and I would love to hear more history about the truck, I sent you an email. As for the original drive train there are no plans for it yet.
Myles Magnusson

'75 j-20 wrecker
'91 yj wrangler

Topic author
nimbus09

1975 j-20 wrecker

Post by nimbus09 »

Its time for another update, a lot has changed since my last post, both in progress and my plans for the project.

After looking at the amount of rust in the wrecker bed and how much bigger the dodge chassis is I have decided to make a new longer and wider wrecker body and keep the frame and 164" wheelbase untouched. I want to build the new box in the same style as the old with a few modifications but this will come later for now I am working on getting the cab mounted around that massive cummins engine.

I have finished the rust repairs on the cab, stripped all the old paint back to bare steel, and put it in etch primer for the time being.
I built a small frame wrapped in poly to help contain some of the dust from stripping paint and it worked surprisingly well with a vent fan

I removed the wrecker body from the jeep frame and then mocked everything up on the dodge chassis

In this picture the cab is sitting with wood blocks between the cab and the frame, the position on the frame was chosen by centering the wheels in the front fenders. This caused the intercooler fan and rad to stick out the front of the fenders about 10" and also left about 6" between the back of the engine and the firewall. The cab also sat very high on the frame. This is when I decided to make a new wrecker bed as the old one was completely the wrong size and to rusted to justify fixing.

after a lot of thought I decided that I would move the engine back on the frame by 8 1/2". This put the engine through the fire wall but should give me enough room for the rad fan and intercooler with some modification to the front panel, it will also give me the opportunity to build a "doghouse" in the firewall like many vans have. The doghouse is a removable panel that allows you to service the back of the engine from the inside of the cab

I started by removing the rad and intercooler which let me install the front panel and center the front wheels front to back in the fenders this gave me the position of the cab front to back.
It still sat very high due to the shape of the dodge frame as the frame raised up around the rear cab mount. To sit the cab a little lower I notched the last 13" of the cab in line with the frame rails and welded in a chuck of c channel to clearance it

Next it was time for cab mounts and I liked the look of the dodge ones so I cut them off beefed them up a bit and bolted them back where they needed to be. While the cab was off I also made new motor mounts 8 1/2" back on the frame I don't have a good picture of the new mounts but I made them very similar to the dodge mounts but with heavier material.

Next I cut a great big hole in the fire wall allowing me to place the cab back over top the engine

at this point I realized the exhaust side of the turbo pointed straight at the cab so I ordered a manifold and turbo for the later common rail 24 valve to tuck the turbo lower and give me a chance at building an exhaust.

the current step I am working on now is building the doghouse to cover up the engine and seal the cab from engine noise and fumes. I will have to figure out a new heater as this messes with the factory air box but it does fit under the dash. I also was very easily adapt the jeep steering column to the dodge steering box but do not have a picture of this at the time.

thank you guys again for your support I will try to update more frequently
Last edited by nimbus09 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myles Magnusson

'75 j-20 wrecker
'91 yj wrangler

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Myles, that is really good work. Keep us posted man.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

msh227

Post by msh227 »

Another fantastic build. Real nice work! I'll be watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300