FastEddie J10 restomod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

FastEddie J10 restomod

Post by sonoraed »

ImageImageImageImageImage

Well it all started with just replacing the floor pans,then the trans blew up so I got a 700R4 from Novak and thought maybe while doing floor why not put in Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum but wouldn't it look better behind a newer Grand Waggie dash yes!
so the interior get ripped out Dynamat installed,buckets went out to be recovered,first pic's is of my son Steve painting the interior gray,was working on the truck out in the parking of my shop (no room to put inside) my son offers to put her in his shop so off she goes on the tow truck
Steve said wouldn't it be nice to fix some of the major dings and dents paint the J10 the same color, well yes it would!
But wait even the 360 runs ok why not installed a 5.3 Vortec well sure more power better mileage
So here are some pictures I have more and will post when time allows

jaber
Vendor

Re: FastEddie J10 restomod

Post by jaber »

Love that color blue. It should be a sweet ride... :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Thanks Jaber,this truck is an example of me not being able to leave things alone, I bought it back in 2000 because it was the cheapest truck I could find, thought it was ugly, the stock springs were so bad it looked like it had been lowered, made a bet with a friend I wouldn't do anything with it but that lasted about a year before I put A/C in it for my wife and BJ's 4" lift springs, the ride was so stiff it was no fun to drive,lost the bet ($20.00), couple years later blew up the engine towing a small tractor so I found another 360 and rebuilt it really wish I would have known about IFSJ at that time and the mods for oil pressure,ran so bad with the oem carb put a custom efi tbi on it, one of the best upgrades I did to that 360,hit deer and bent the bumper and grille so replaced with the Gladiator grille and C steel "deer killer" bumper works well for killing deer,after twice failing me on a snowy day replaced the Quadratrac with a Dana 20 and rebuilt the TH400,because the ride was so bad decided to do a SOA with stock springs using TAD's kit rebuilt the front/rear diff's and steering, still rode bad but looked great!, drove the truck for several years in this configuration till I could see the road thru the floorboards, was waiting for Chip Foose to steal my truck and do a major rebuild but didn't happen :-?
So after avoiding really getting into a total rebuild (just don't have the time or money) My son takes over and tears the truck down to the frame and here we go, so far a 42 Gallon Suburban tank where the spare tire would be,Rock Laurence front shackle rev kit (also removed a leaf) relocate front shocks for better ride,mocking up a 5,3 Vortec,700 R4 stage two from Novak with twin stick Dana 20 (should have used a 4L60) but bought the trans before the 5.3,Vintage Air Gen IV magnum, 89 Grand Waggie dash,oem buckets with oem console modified cup holder,thinking about painting her Indigo or Maroon,so there it is thank goodness my son can't leave things alone either!!

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Imagevintage air gen IV ready to installImage
99 burb 42 gallon fuel tankImage
LM 7 DBC 5.3 VortecImage
Hours of sandingImage
Tailgate was in really bad shape so the most time consuming part of the projectImage

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I love it! A family project that everyone has a hand in and is part of the family. :)

Stuka
Site Admin

FastEddie J10 restomod

Post by Stuka »

What did you do with your old dash? Mine is trashed.

Oh, and coming along great!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Stuka, my old dash pad was really bad too,cracked over the lip and broken out at the speaker,not quite sure if it went with the truck to Steve's,if I had to to that style again would have John McMaster recover it,there is also a guy out on Tuolumne Road I've heard about doing upholstery, I think recovery with a seam around the overhang or lip would look kind of cool, to remove the pad it is almost easier to remove the windshield, really had a hard time finding a good used pad for the 89 dash too

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah I have been running with just the steel dash for years. Truck came from Trona (down by death valley) so the old dash was blistered beyond belief.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I'll look for it Frday,I need a left front fender if you know anyone close to us

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Sorry the dash pad is gone,had a good one but sold it took years to find one

BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

Your project is coming along nicely. I put the gen iv unit in my gladiator and it works great. Simple and clean. Did you go with the 3 knob controller of the 4?
American Vintage 4x4
"Where four wheel drives are a way of life"
www.AV4x4.com

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sonoraed wrote:Sorry the dash pad is gone,had a good one but sold it took years to find one
Yeah I know, very hard to find. Figure if I ever pull it, just weld up the holes and paint it.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

used the OEM 89 Waggie control head,got it to work by cutting the bottom from another control and bolting it to the top of the head I'm using,the long plastic things are "cable converters" from Vintage Air, the VA control kit is for a 66 GTO , let you use the oem jeep fan switch

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Slow going right now, fuel flap is in installed for the 42 gal tank, got a tv cable kit from Bowtie Overdrives that mates the 700R4 to the LM7 DBC maf has the right angle and pull for the tv cable, still looking for a l/ f fender , got one from j&w for $175 it's all rust and bondo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

ImageImage forgot pictures

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Did you media blast the whole thing?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Stuka, yes L&L up by Ahern's towing, he's new in town and setting up to do large scale power coating,will have the frame done up there when all the mockup is done

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Onto the wiringImageImage

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

sonoraed wrote:Slow going right now, fuel flap is in installed for the 42 gal tank, got a tv cable kit from Bowtie Overdrives that mates the 700R4 to the LM7 DBC maf has the right angle and pull for the tv cable, still looking for a l/ f fender , got one from j&w for $175 it's all rust and bondo

Did you go up there or did J&W ship it to you?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

[quote="sonoraed"]ImageImage forgot pictures

Would like more details on how you have the fuel intake. I have a 33 gallon sub tank i'm installing in the back of my J10. Thanks.
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...