Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Cassidy

Re: Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Post by Cassidy »

So on another subject as I wait for parts I have a question. Where do you guys mount your amps for the sound system. I can't be the only middle aged slightly deaf guy that still likes music8-).

I thought about behind the left panel but not enough room and I think heat will be an issue. Unfortunately I think I will mount them to the panels as seen in my mock up pix. The one on the left will be hidden by the tire carrier I am hoping to buy from rstep.
20140714_201742.jpg
20140714_201754.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So its oil pump rebuild day. Pulled it all apart and checked the old parts.
adapter was scored but not bad.

The gears on the other hand were in very bad shape, badly pitted in the middle and scratched badly.
I am going to guess something bad went through the pump at one time....
The engine sounds good and runs well so I'm not going to imagine what the bearings look like.

New gears and packed with petroleum jelly.
ImageImage

Made a small spacer out of a bleeder screw for the new pressure spring and put it all back together.

Primed right away an now has about 70 lb cold fast Idle 25 ish hot idle in gear and 40 at cruise..I expect this will drop a bit as everything breaks in. But still much better than it was and I won't worry about it anymore.
Using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I've only done this once before and I don't remember if I needed to make a spacer. Why did you need one and is this normal when putting a new spring in the oil pump?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Not sure the spacer was required but I wanted to preloaded the spring a bit to maximize my oil pressure at ldle
In fact I doubt it made any difference.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So after a few trips it looks like the oil pressure has settled at about 18 psi hot idle and 40 at cruise speed. need to find a tach to install so I can see the actual rpm I think my idle rpm is low. But I think I am happy on the oil pressure front. Now to tackle the exhaust leaks at the manifold. I have already pulled the manifolds from the spare truck. The studs are toast and will not budge so I think I will just take them to the machine shop have them surfaced and new studs installed.
Using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Cassidy wrote:Not sure the spacer was required but I wanted to preloaded the spring a bit to maximize my oil pressure at ldle
In fact I doubt it made any difference.
Cool, thanks!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So its been a busy week. Wife had half of her thyroid removed last tuesday and my oldest son ruptured his appendix on Wednesday. :oops:

So I have found that on a project such as this if I break it in to lots of little 15 - 30 min jobs I can do when ever I get a chance instead of waiting till I can devote several hours (only happens in deep winter).

So off from work go to the hospital to check on my son, he's doing well, wife is staying with him. Off to the house to cook the other kids dinner. Play with scotty for an hour, and slip out to the garage for a few and weld in the patch panel I have been cutting and shaping to fit for four days.
20140721_200543.jpg
20140723_205548.jpg
It still needs cleaned up and filler applied but it's progress.

I feel good about it because it's the last hole to patch I am aware of... I haven't pulled the carpet in the front yet so .........
One dent to fix
20140723_205602.jpg
Then dewooding, I may even get it painted this year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Everything is slowly getting back to normal at the homestead so I should have some time to work on the waggy soon.
Currently mulling over what I want to do for the suspension lift. This rig will be 90% on road 10% off road but I don't baby my vehicles. I know I want about 4in of lift and I need to retain my track and sway bars. Seriously considering FSSR to start with.
Using Tapatalk

Davidpsalt

Post by Davidpsalt »

We have too much in common! I also have a 91 Hunter Green Wagoneer with rust issues ... you are motivating me to address them as you have. My problem areas are the same - rear quarters on both sides - floor boards on drivers side - rear and driver - small areas on the passenger side as well as the cargo area. My front fenders are toast so I am looking for some rust free replacements - already found some inner fenders and radiator core supports that i am having painted as we speak - they rusted out where the water sits on top of the inner fenders and close to where the AC lines run through them to the condensor.

Oh - my wife is from Louisville so we are up there quite a bit for holidays with the inlaws - and I am up there on business from time to time.

Would love to get together and see your build in person on my next trip!

I will post some pics and look forward to getting your advice on my much needed body repairs!

Davidpsalt

Post by Davidpsalt »

My 1976 CJ5 sitting next to my 91 Grand Wagoneer - final edition badge - with rust not seen in photo!!

Davidpsalt

Post by Davidpsalt »

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I would love that. My advice for the rust repair.....If it's just a DD or toy get a welder a air flange tool and some sheet metal and just do it. I didn't even buy any metal I found suitable size stuff I could just cut up. Now the lower quarters I lucked out and had good replacements on my parts truck if not I would have bought them from bjs.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Wow I think yours is in a bit better shape than mine[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES].did you add the rear wind deflector I just got one and haven't mounted it yet.also do you need any parts I might be able to help I have a burgundy 91 soon to go to the scrap yard.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Last Friday .. at the new house ...looks better in pictures
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Been busy with work so no updates recently. Wife wants the scrap jeep gone so my son and I got on with stripping it. Should be ready for the scrap yard next weekend.Image
Using Tapatalk

bgott

Post by bgott »

Whereabouts in Louisville are you from Cassidy?

Also, in regard to the amp location, the locations you have them in the pictures ought to be fine. I have a 1000w amp that draws a lot of current mounted under the driver seat of my DD and heat has never been an issue.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I'm originally from Seattle WA but my work moved us here about 10 years ago. I was in south louisville but just moved to hardensburg IN. But still work in louisville.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Been a long time since I updated this and I am sorry to say I haven't gotten much done. Popped a rear brake line yesterday . And decided to go ahead and order the lift and replace all the rubber brake lines in the process. So 4" rustys lift is on the way.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Well rustys lift has been on order for over a month......guy told me I would have it by the end of the week when I ordered it. Guess I will have to call and complain a third time.

Topic author
Cassidy

Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Post by Cassidy »

So my rustys lift finally showed up after 2 and a half months. Patched the rear brake line with a compression fitting, and took the jeep back to my for sale house in the city because it has a garage and all my tools are there.....had a little problem on the way