Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

jsinajeep

Re: Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Post by jsinajeep »

Look like you are do fine, look good. I am with you, cut the guard down some.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Great fix on the core support. Thanks for those pics! Congrats on getting it back on the road. How did the brush guard end up so tall? I remember you added on the lower section but wasn't the bulk of the guard a stocker? Nevermind - I went back and noticed you said the bottom mounts had rotted away. I agree that it will look better a couple inches lower so the headlights are more vertically centered within their sections of the guard.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Not sure how i got the brush gard hight so far off. In my defence the front end was completely apart when i did it.

Have put about a hundred miles or so on it time to go back and check all the bolts. I think I have the shackle bolts too tight. I also need to trim the u bolts.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Bolted on a set of 31s and did a bit of playing

Using Tapatalk

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Looks like your little helper is waiting on you, Lets go.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Started the dewooding took about 2 hours. One side done still need to clean off the adhesive. Done with only a heat gun.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Small update. ..the drop pitman arm took all the bump steer out of my rustys 4in lift. I think I will still reconnect the track bars with drop brackets. It drives fine but towing is scary.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Have been spending most of my free time working on my sons jeep. The frame was rotted on the bottom in the usual place. Welded some angle on for my repair. Didn't turn out too bad between my lousy welding skills and harbor freight welder.

Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Finished the passenger floor boards and dogleg
Using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Looking good! My driver-side hat channel had some rot in it which was challenging to repair. Just curious, did you have any damage to that channel below your floors or was your repair area limited to floor pans? Did you end up butt-welding to the existing steel after cutting away the rot or did you overlap in some areas?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I have a pneumatic flange tool so most of the sheet metal overlaps about 1\2 in and is plug welded. The supports under the floor pans did need some repairs luckily it's out of sight so it doesn't have to be pretty just strong.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

No real progress to report on my truck. except I got a rust free pair of fenders from jerry.

My son's cherokee on the other hand is coming along nicely the sheet metal work is almost done and it now has an engine in it. We should have it running in another weekend or two.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Haven't made much progress, had wanted to paint it this summer but that didn't happen.
So I decided to build a new front bumper as I already had everything I was going to use.
Home made bumper 1.0

Home made bumper 2.0

Still need to pull it and add some finishing touches and paint it.
Using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Cool! Looks like you built in some front quarter protection too. Any pics from the side? I really like how the brush guard fits into the top plate of that bumper.

What's going on with that Commando?

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I picked up the brush gaurd cheap becouse the lower legs were rusted out. So I just cut it off and welded it to the top plate of the new bumper.
The side piece is 1/2 square tube and goes back to the fender opening, haven't quite decided how I want to finish that part off.

I just picked the commando for my wife it's just going to be stockish rebuild. Runs good, po did SOA. Needs rust repair and a roll cage.
Using Tapatalk

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Damn man this project has come with a lot of bad timing and set backs. But good to see its still on the road. I have an 87 and 90 GW's 87 is my dd or was since I've picked a nasty tick in valvetrain. I just recently purchased both after hail destroyed my 91 final edition beyond the worth of repair plus the previous damage.

Although I can't seem to get the mpg's my 91 in either one of my two new ones.
91 got 16 mpg
And my 87 and 90 both get about 8 mpg. Lol

Anyways nough bantering on .

Your right has come long ways and looks good

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Back at it after a long pause.
Wife wanted to go with the local 4wd club on a trail ride so I had a lot of work to catch up on to get ready. First on the list was to replace the front shackles. After I installed my 4in lift I discovered my front shackles were seized. So I cut out the stock set and installed a slightly longer set from a chev truck. I then wanted to replace the stock brake hoses as they were too short after the lift. I only got the drivers side done before we went wheeling as I broke the steel line and had to replace it. I also replaced the alternator with the 94 amp version. The alternator made a big difference at idle when running the lights or air.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

A few pictures from our wheeling trip.ImageImageImageImage

Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I was able to go everywhere the jku and Wranglers went with one exception. There was a long very steep hill that I lost fuel on. For some reason if my jeep loses prime on the pump you have to dump gas in the carb to get the fuel pump moving fast enough to pull fuel. Of course I didn't have any gas and no one else did either. We ended starting the jeep on bug spray.

Using Tapatalk

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Very nice... good to know about bug spray...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk