Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So it looks like the damage is,hood, fender,and radiator core support and everything in front of it. So far I don't think the frame is damaged and the only mechanical damage is where the rad hit the fan clutch.

SJTD

Re: Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Post by SJTD »

Sorry to hear about that.

Looks like the cowl and firewall are going to need some work too.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Atla

Post by Atla »

Oh damn, that's horrible!
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Pulled some of the damage out and started repairs...the firewall has a few minor dents not worth fixing, the inner fender is salvageable. The only difficult part to repair will be where the hood hit the cowl.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Luckily I have not taken my parts waggy to the scrap yard yet. I will cut the cowl section I need from it and patch it in at a later date. I have a hood and fender but my Spare core support is too rusty to use.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I will need to locate a core support, but there is no question I will be fixing it so I am going to go ahead and install the lift kit.
A rhino grill and custom front bumper were always in the plans. I guess it will just happen faster now [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So far no luck finding a core support that's not rusted beyond repair might have to cut up several to make one good one.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So I got a bit of work done yesterday. Engine runs only damage was the power steering pump pulley got pushed back and is bound up. I have a pulley puller and that's an easy fix. Getting ready to order a aluminum radiator off ebay. I noticed that all the wagoneer radiators listed stop at 83 not sure if they are the same.

Got the front half of the rustys 4in lift installed. My sag must have been really bad as the lift looks to be way more than 4in maybe closer to 8. I'm sure it will settle after a few months.
I had fairly good luck installing the front springs I had to turn my air compressor up to about 150lb but the impact gun got all but one bolt out with out too much trouble. And thanks to some tips on this site I fixed the spring pin fit before I had to take it all apart.
Still need to find a core support.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Need some help the front eye bolts on the rear springs are frozen to the sleeve. What's the best way to cut them out I can't reach them with the cutoff wheel and am having poor results with my sawsall.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Picked up a carbide tipped sawsall blade and was finally able to get the rear spring bolts cut out. While I was waiting for my cordless sawsall to charge I welded up a new front bumper out of some steel I had on hand. I also used a brush gard I got a wile back that the lower legs were rusted out. I think it will turn out ok for a first attempt.

CosmicRhino

Post by CosmicRhino »

nice deer crusher.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Thanks, I think it will hold up well until I build or attempt to build a winch bumper.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

The radiators fit for 70-91 the same as far as I am aware. I recently got one off ebay too, love it. Definitely middle schoolers doing the welding but so far its held up nicely!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Thanks for the radiator info. i guessed the same but it's good to have it confirmed. As far as the welding on the ebay radiator it will match my welding [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Things are finally moving. The lift is installed springs, shocks,brackets. And got most of the needed parts from jerry. The core support is in Excellent condition but I ran in to an issue when I went to mount it. One of the mounts was badly rusted and crushed about 1\2 in. So I cut the mount where the metal was still good and welded in a new piece.

I should have taken a before picture ...but the repaired one is on the left.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

The cup on the bottom was also in poor shape. I couldn't find a replacement here is my solution

Not an ideal solution but i really need to get this thing back on the road.

I DE wooded my Spare left fender.....
It is in much worse condition than I had hoped.Image

I was going to repair the fender and use it permantly...but now I will patch it up for temporary till I can find a better left fender.

I'm not going to show the pathetic redneck repair of this fender.......basically I'm going to weld some sheet metal in behind all the rust holes and cover it with filler.
Using Tapatalk

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

When I first started to read the post I thought you were talking about the
core support being bad. :( Sure glad it wasn't that :D . Keep letting us know
how you are doing and if you need more parts.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

It's slowly getting there got the rusted out rear brake line replaced and all the brakes bled. New radiator installed had to scrap the aux trans cooler will just run with the radiator cooler for now and replace the aux cooler down the road. Have to re charge the air conditioning, got to have air the humidity gets so bad here I won't go with out it.
So at this point I just need to put the gas tank back in with the new skid plate, mount the hood and I should be driving.

Ohh and weld mounting brackets to the new bumper, and paint the bumper.

Was prepping the gas tank for installation, changing the hoses etc and noticed I forgot to repair the triangle brace for the skid plate.

I cut out the rusted- bent center section and cut some new pieces to fit, just need to weld it together.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Finally got her back on the road .....everything is working even the cruise and air.

Just one little section of the cowl left to replace to fix the crash damage.
I am happy with the rustys lift rides a bit stiffer but not too bad.

The brush gard on the other hand I am not happy with. I think I will be cutting it down a bit.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

When I was looking at a 4in lift I was hearing mixed reviews if the drop pitman arm was needed. Or if removing the track bar was ok.............. I decided to wait before ordering the DPA or dropped track bar brackets............ but the bump steer is very bad. I will start with the DPA and if it's still a problem reinstall the track bar with drop brackets.
Using Tapatalk