Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Cassidy

Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Post by Cassidy »

[attachment=-1]2014-06-10-20-15-30-1371232745.jpeg[/attachment]

This is my first fsj normally I'm a Ford man.......that said my last rig was a land rover discovery. I loved that thing ....but it's more suited to someone of smaller stature than me [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Re: Cassidy 91 hunter green wagoneer build

Post by Cassidy »

I was actually looking for a excursion with the 7.3 diesel but not having any luck finding a nice one . My wife found this wagoneer on Craigslist and it came with another one for parts.[attachment=-1]20140125_170813.jpg[/attachment] :roll:so I went and looked and got a screaming deal. Neither of them ran so I borrowed a trailer from s friend and towed them home with my land rover. The red one had some upgrades and the interior was in better shape but it has serious rust issues. The green one was easy to get running it was a piece of rubber hose on the end of the sending unit that had gotten so soft it collapsed when you tried to start it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So the short term plan is to pull all the parts I need for the green one off the red one. Then pull everything of any value off the red one and scrap it unfortunately it's too far gone to save.

So far on inspection of the parts wagon it has better seats, new carb, new gas tank skid plate, better tires (swipe them first),HEI dist (I won't be using)

After getting the waggy running I was pleased to find it runs and shifts well. It needed a complete tune up and some adjustments but it was a good start.

Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

One of the first tasks after getting the truck running was all the exhaust leaks. The air injection pipes had rust holes everywhere and the smog pump was locked up. Lucky for me we don't have emissions testing here so I was able to remove most of the smog crap. I left the cat just plugged the air pipe, pvc and evap canister. [attachment=-1]20140330_192618.jpg[/attachment]
I will be keeping everything just in case I move or they start testing in my area.
But my future plans include throttle body injection and a 3 way cat that should result in better emissions than any wagoneer got stock.

Using Tapatalk

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Hang onto that pulley for the smog pump! You can currently get new pumps, but they DO NOT come with pulleys.

Once TBI'd, you will run super clean at the tailpipe with a 3 way cat. : D I kept my AIR injection system "intact" visually. ;- )
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I'm keeping all the emissions parts from both trucks just in case. Already in a box in the attic of my garage.

Using Tapatalk

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Hey Cassidy, welcome to the Network. Image

Looks like your jumping in with both feet. Congrats on what sounds like a great deal. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Thanks for the welcome.
I made the mistake of reading strodes build and started feeling like I am performing the redneck build :roll:.
Lol I guess my goals are different this will never be a show truck it will get used and abused. I have most of the parts I want pulled from the parts truck all that's left is the motor, trans , t-case.
I knew that the waggy had some rust issues as I could see it needed lower quarters and dog legs. But I didn't realize how bad it was. I pulled the interior out of the back half.[attachment=-1]20140608_150118.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140608_150115.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140309_185952.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140531_142103.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140531_163151.jpg[/attachment]

Time to get the welder out.

Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So begins the rust repair. Took out my trusty harbor freight 4in grinder and a pack of cutting wheels and went to work on the parts truck. Cut out the lower quarters (looked like they had been replaced recently) and patch panels from any rust free sections I could find...tough on this thing.
Lucky for me who ever installed the quarter patch panels had just pop riveted it in a few places and bondoed over it, they didn't even cut the rusted piece out. So I cut out the rust on the waggy fit the panel, flanged the edge and welded it in. [attachment=-1]20140309_190008.jpg[/attachment]
The piece for the dog leg I made .....[attachment=-1]20140531_142205.jpg[/attachment]

Using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hunter Green is one of my favorite waggy colors.

Welcome to the forum!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Tonight's progress all the patch panels in place with a couple of screws ready to be welded in. [attachment=-1]20140611_195846.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140611_195842.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140611_195807.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140611_195829.jpg[/attachment]

Using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Cassidy wrote:...who ever installed the quarter patch panels had just pop riveted it in a few places and bondoed over it, they didn't even cut the rusted piece out.
Right! This sounds familiar. Welcome aboard!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Nice score. Welcome to the fray.

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So I was able to finish all the patch panels. Seam seal and paint them all top and bottom. Was in a bit of a rush as I am moving next week. Put it all back together only issue I ran in to was the outer 2 steel runners for the floor were too rusted to reuse. I decided to just leave them out. Then I made new side panels out of 1/2 in plywood. I was able to get both made from 1 2x4 project panel. Painted them with tan spray bedliner. Not impressed with the spray bedliner dosent cover well and took 1 can per panel. Mounted 6 1/2 speakers in the panels and on the right built a box and installed a 6 1/2 subwoofer fou just a bit more low end. I have 2 amps to mount but have not decided on the location yet.

First drive after the repair was very impressive. Night and day difference in road noise. Next is to pull apart the front doors and replace the blown speakers.

[attachment=-1]20140614_124953.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140614_124919.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140614_204634.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140614_204619.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]20140614_204626.jpg[/attachment]

Using Tapatalk

NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

I like those side panels. Cleans up the cargo area. Good work.
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So as a last repair before I moved was the air conditioning. I have done several 134a retro fits but the info on oljeep was very helpful. A few notes ..The air is nice and cold but dosent circulate well. I think a center console with a powered duct to the back seats will be needed.

Cassidy
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

On the first trip to the new house with the truck loaded and pulling a small trailer I noticed the temp creeping up past 210 I kicked the air off and it came back down. But at the same time I noticed the oil pressure was lower than normal only about 20 at speed and 10 ish at idle. I was used to seeing it at about 40 at speed and 20 hot idle. I also noticed it no longer rose with the rpm it would com up to about 20 and hold there. So I took it Back home and parked it.
Last edited by Cassidy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

So when I got a chance I pulled the pressure spring. Everything seems Ok and the cold oil pressure is about 40lb. I have another motor but have not rebuilt it yet. And other than this pressure issue the motor runs well. So I ordered a mid plate from bjs and an oil pump kit. I realize the proper way to do this is to pull the pump housing and sand it to spec but I don't want to pull the motor that far apart at this time.
Using Tapatalk

j2sax

Post by j2sax »

Cassidy wrote:So when I got a chance I pulled the pressure spring. Everything seems Ok and the cold oil pressure is about 40lb. I have another motor but have not rebuilt it yet. And other than this pressure issue the motor runs well. So I ordered a mid plate from bjs and an oil pump kit. I realize the proper way to do this is to pull the pump housing and sand it to spec but I don't want to pull the motor that far apart at this time.
That's not a bad plan, esecially if an engine rebuild is in your future. since you have the parts from Matt go ahead and put them on no matter what you find... sure cannot hurt anything, however, I would test the gauge and sending unit before going too crazy!

with engine switch to "On" but not running, unhook gauge which should top it out, then ground on block and see if it sweeps all the way down.. if so, gauge and wiring are good. (helps to have a buddy for the latter)

I have a manual "wet" gauge with a fitting that goes in where the sending unit spins on. Take off the sending unit, screw in the manual gauge, lay it on the ground and start the beast up... if it significantly disagrees with the electric gauge, replace the Sending unit. You can buy oil pressure gauges cheap, but if you want to save some, you can go to a salvage yard and look in older trucks/cars to see if someone stuck in an aftermarket one... probably get it near free

Good luck!

Topic author
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I will definitely check the gauge. Thanks for the info.
Using Tapatalk