Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Nikkormat

Re: Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Post by Nikkormat »

Which pump did you use?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

jsinajeep wrote:I would change out the Airtex pump for sure. On most gauges you will have pressure drop on heavy throttle but not zero.
Thanks Jerry... I'll swap out pumps this weekend.
Nikkormat wrote:Which pump did you use?
I have an Airtex pump in there now but I'm upgrading to the Holley Red this weekend. While I'm at it, I'm thinking about shooting some air back into the tank, just in case there's something blocking the inlet. Do you guys think that's an ok idea?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Check the hoses from the tank to the pump for any kind of loose clamp to a pin hole in the hose or tubing.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

jsinajeep wrote:Check the hoses from the tank to the pump for any kind of loose clamp to a pin hole in the hose or tubing.
Will do. The only clamp that I haven't accessed yet is on top of the tan, by the sending unit. I've read that there's an access door that is directly above the sending unit. Is this it?

1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Yes, that's the cover. I use a die grinder with a cutoff disc to burn off the rivets and self tapping sheetmetal screws to keep it in place.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^Got it. I'll try my dremel on those rivets, then use some sheet metal screws to reattach when I'm done. Do you guys think I should take a look at the sending unit while I'm in there? On another forum, it was suggested that I look at the fuel sock.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Yes, there always that possible that there is something blocking the tube or the sock is bent and blocking it.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I would definitely pull the thing.
I always remove the sock and add an inline filter where it is easy to get to. Easier to change it than pull the sending unit and anything that might clog the sock gets removed from the tank.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Sorry for the delay, you guys. I got stuck on a couple of business trips. I actually got a chance to fix the Waggy yesterday. Here's what I did.

1. Removed the access door to the sending unit and gently blew air back into the tank. Everything appeared to be free of debris of constriction.
2. Replaced all the soft fuel lines at the back of the vehicle. The old lines seemed like they were in decent shape but I figured I might as well just replace them while I was in there.
3. Checked the electrical wires at the pump. I got good voltage and ground.
3. Replaced the Airtex fuel pump with the Holley Red. I think this was the problem. The Airtex free flowed 30 GPM and the new Holley free flows 97 GPM. (and flows 67 GPM at 5 PSI) My hope is the additional capability of the pump will give me some head room on the system and I won't have to go back and replace it any time soon.

Now, here's something I did differently... Since the Holley is rebuildable, I got the idea to use some weatherproof connectors on it. That way I can remove, clean and replace the pump without cutting an re soldering every time. (In the end I decided to solder the ground and use the connector for power just because I can always replace the ground wire but I don't want to reroute the power wire over and over) What do you guys think? Am I asking for corrosion to get in there and give me issues or do you think this will work?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Great idea on the weatherpak connectors!
About the only thing more you might consider is fabbing up a cover for the pump to keep most of the water, road-salt and mud off it. Not that the pump really needs it.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Make sure you use at least a 14ga wire running to the pump.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

So no connector on the ground wire? If not, you should have. As long as you used the correct wire seals, nothing will get in them.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm interested to see how this works without a regulator.

What is that max pressure the Holley will generate?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks for the feedback, you guys. On the connectors... to be totally honest, I broke one of the connectors on the ground wire and, rather than go get another one, I just soldered a ring on the end and attached to the frame. So... I was lazy.

As for the pump, I wired it up with the same gauge wire that came with the pump (it might be 14 gauge but I eye balled it). And, according to Holley the pump doesn't need a regulator because it runs at 7psi. So far, the Jeep is running great and I haven't had any issues. My only plan is to put a clear fuel filter directly in front of the pump so I can keep an eye on things.

Also, I just want to thank you guys again. It's always nice to bounce ideas off of a knowledgeable group to be sure I'm not going off track with my ideas.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

The Waggy's exhaust broke right where at the entrance of the muffler. I heard it rattling around when driving and the flange had broken into pieces. My neighbor has a Harbor Freight stick welder. I borrowed that and welded a section back together. I only had a short section of rod to work with so it's being held together with about 2" total of splattery weld. ...I think it's time to get a mig soon.

Also changed the front brake pads.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Well... I moved to the east coast. I still haven't found a house to buy but the Waggy is out here now. I've driven it around and it's running great! The altitude compensating diaphragm in the carb really seems to do the trick!

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Welcome to NH!
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:Welcome to NH!
Thank you sir!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

No real NH adventures yet. But, I did find a cool well hand pump when going down a road in the back side of a cemetery:

It worked really well!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

No build updates... but I did take the Waggy into the White Mountains over the weekend for some hiking. Here's a quick trip report:

We decided to explore a little more of New Hampshire this last weekend so we headed up to the White Mountains. The plan was to head up there, get a cabin and see the area, getting in some hiking and driving as we went. So, we headed out Friday afternoon. After about an hour of driving we started to see the landscape look more "mountainy".

When we left, the Waggy said the outside air temperature was 93. As we entered the White Mountain Region of NH, the temperature had dropped to 85.

We stopped at an ice-cream stand. I got home made apple crisp under vanilla... good.

It started to rain so we hit the road, continuing up to "Twin Mountain" New Hampshire. We rented a cottage for the night here for less than $100!

After unloading the car, we headed out to find some dinner. We heard that "Grandma's Kitchen" had good food. So, we headed over to Whitefield to check it out. When we got into town (only two streets in town) we didn't see it, so Wifey went into a gas station and asked for directions. While she did that, I grabbed a couple pictures of town:

She returned and told me that we had to drive about a mile out of town to get to the restaurant, so we hit the road. Soon we found the place; a small restaurant with a single wide behind it and an almost full dirt parking lot out front. You could tell the food was going to be good just by looking at it. I ordered fried chicken, mashed potatoes and brown gravy. That was the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life. Wifey got the chowder and we ordered some spaghetti off of the kids menu for Chunky. His order was almost like an adult order and you could tell the marinara was home made. At any rate, the meal was good.

After dinner we headed back to the cottage. On the way, I saw this abandoned auto repair shop and snapped a picture of the Waggy in front of it. The two just seemed to go together.

We made plans to go hiking the next day and called it a night. In the morning, we hit a trail that started right behind the cabin. It was level and easy so Chunky could walk. It snaked through the trees and ended at a large beaver pond.

The hike got us hungry so we went back to Grandma's kitchen and grabbed breakfast. I got home made blueberry pancakes, eggs and bacon. It was good. After that, we headed over to Franconia Notch State Park. We wanted to hike the Flume Gorge trail but dogs weren't allowed. So we went up the Mount Pemigewasset trail. It was marked as a moderate trail that climbed out to an overlook. So, I put Chunky on my shoulders, Wifey grabbed the dog and we headed up.

The trail started in thick forest and crossed a number of small streams.

Soon it got steeper and, with Chunky on my shoulders, my heart rate hit a peak of 175! I never realized how out of shape I was! Also, the rocks got larger as we climbed higher.

I had to take some breaks. Even though the trail was only 1.5 miles, it climbed over 1500 feet in elevation. Chunky had a great time.

After almost 2 hours, we finally hit the top. The views were amazing! Pictures really don't do the view justice.

The edge of the overlook was a vertical cliff that was probably 200-300 feet tall. I tried to get a shot looking down at the tops of the trees below but it didn't turn out so well. Cell phone camera...

After we took in the views, we headed back down. Chunky rode on my shoulders most of the way. After about an hour, I felt this mushy feeling on my head. Wifely laughed. Apparently he fell asleep and was face down on the top of my head. Wifey grabbed him and carried him down the rest of the way.

As we got down to the bottom of the trail, we could hear thunder. Then it started raining... not a drizzle but stead rain. The crazy part is that none of the rain drops were penetrating the forest canopy. We could hear the rain in the leaves but we were totally dry! I've never seen anything like it! Once we got to the trail head, the dog and I grabbed the Waggy and did a curb side pickup. After everyone was in the car, I snapped this picture. Check out the rain drop splashing on the left side of the hood. It was now raining hard!

We drove to a gas station and we were now in a full on downpour. Rain and hail were cascading down. There was so much water that the storm drains couldn't keep up. The temperature dropped to 66 degrees. Around 3" of water was flowing at about 15 miles an hour over the parking lot. I grabbed a picture but the focus wasn't great. The storm drain is in the middle.

After filling up, we hit the road. We stopped for lunch and got Greek Style pizza here. This was a first for me and it was amazing!

From this point on, it was smooth sailing and we returned home to 93 degree temps once again.