Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Nikkormat

Re: Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Post by Nikkormat »

Lumpskie wrote:
az chip wrote:
For now, I've pulled the belt off the smog pump. Is there a draw back to running the Jeep that way while I burp the system and make sure that I'm not having any coolant leaks?
Less O2 in the exhaust stream. That is all I see. Doesn't do anything to engine.
Good. I'll just (hopefully) finish burping the system tonight and get some miles on it. Then, I can worry about a replacement. FWIW, that 2747 fan clutch sure makes more noise than the stock one!
I hope the 2747 serves you well!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Nikkormat wrote:
Lumpskie wrote:
az chip wrote:
Less O2 in the exhaust stream. That is all I see. Doesn't do anything to engine.
Good. I'll just (hopefully) finish burping the system tonight and get some miles on it. Then, I can worry about a replacement. FWIW, that 2747 fan clutch sure makes more noise than the stock one!
I hope the 2747 serves you well!
I'm sure it will!

So, the Waggy drove under it's own power last night. I was happy about that. What I'm unhappy about is squealing belts. I really cinched down on the power steering belt. That didn't help. I'll try getting the alternator belts tight tonight.

Should I be worried about over tightening these belts? Since there isn't a pry point (that I know of) for the alternator, I was considering using a dead blow and a piece of wood to tap the alternator to get the belt tight. (keeping the bolts just tight enough to keep the alternator from slipping back) Is that what you guys do?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

az chip

Post by az chip »

Should I be worried about over tightening these belts? Since there isn't a pry point (that I know of) for the alternator, I was considering using a dead blow and a piece of wood to tap the alternator to get the belt tight. (keeping the bolts just tight enough to keep the alternator from slipping back) Is that what you guys do?
I take a two foot pry bar and hold the alternator to one side while I tighten the bolt down. I dislike beating it. Might break stuff.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

az chip wrote:
I take a two foot pry bar and hold the alternator to one side while I tighten the bolt down. I dislike beating it. Might break stuff.
That's what I did too. But, it looks like I lucked out. My wife drove the waggy today and was happy to report no squealing. I think a little coolant must have gotten on the belts the other day. Hopefully, I can get some miles on it to confirm. But, for now, I'm happy it's driving again after so long!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

az chip

Post by az chip »

Lumpskie wrote:
az chip wrote:
That's what I did too. But, it looks like I lucked out. My wife drove the waggy today and was happy to report no squealing. I think a little coolant must have gotten on the belts the other day. Hopefully, I can get some miles on it to confirm. But, for now, I'm happy it's driving again after so long!
Nice!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Good deal!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Back out in the wild!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Rockin! That is one fine looking Wag.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

twisted frame wrote:Rockin! That is one fine looking Wag.
Thank you sir! Next spring, we should do a FSJ outing together... maybe a little easy wheeling!

az chip

Post by az chip »

That is very nice!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

az chip wrote:That is very nice!
Thank you sir! And thanks for helping me get back on the road!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Lumpskie wrote:
az chip wrote:That is very nice!
Thank you sir! And thanks for helping me get back on the road!
Happy to help in any way I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

The Waggy completed Christmas tree duty again this year!

az chip

Post by az chip »

Look at that expansive estate!!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

az chip wrote:Look at that expansive estate!!
Old house for the old jeep!

Fire1

Post by Fire1 »

Hi Lumpski, I'm located in Australia and have recently purchased a 1982 NT Cherokee 4 door, 360, 727, NP208. It's a one owner, 130,000km no rust with a set of 235/75 R15's dated 1989 and still have 40% tread. I've spent a few hours looking over your very impressive and informative thread, you certainly go on some nice road trips!

I'm considering a lift on my rig and will most likely copy your 2" Alcan with 30 X 9.5" tires. I just have a few questions if that's ok.

Did the 30" tires rub before you installed the lift? I'm a bit concerned about driving around on my 30 year old tires, the Alcan Springs will take about 3 months to fabricate and ship to Australia.

Are you happy with the lift and tire size combo?

You added a leaf on the rear from your old Spring pack to increase the rake. Are you happy with that or would you recommend requesting Alcan to add the 1/2" into the rear springs?

I'm a bit concerned about the problem you had fitting the rear springs. Did Alcan have any reason the main leaves were the wrong size? I won't be able to drive them back like you did so I need to be very accurate with my order :)

Any other tip you have would be greatly appreciated, shocks, bushings etc.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
1980 J20 258 4 speed, stock suspension
1982 Cherokee NT 360 auto, stock suspension

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey Steve,

Sorry for the late reply! First off, congratulations on your purchase. I don't know why, but owning and driving my old Jeep is so satisfying. I'm sure you feel the same way.

I am very happy with my setup. I wanted something that left the Jeep with a look similar to stock, but with just a bit more clearance. The 30x9.5 tires have been perfect for me. No rubbing at all, even when the suspension is fully compressed.

The springs have been amazing and look/feel just like new. If I was to do it again, I would ask Alcan to add a little more rake in the rear, like you mentioned. But, I am totally happy with my setup. Here's what I'd do, if I was to order a set of Alcans and I lived all the way in AUS. I would pull a rear leaf pack off and get the eye-to-eye measurement as well and the vertical measurement of the spring. I would use that to help Bill (at Alcan) ensure that you get the right length. I think there are minor variances in spring length over the years and his database (3x5 card hand written in the 80s) showed a shorter eye-to-eye than mine but about 2 inches. Long story short, if you both agree on what that measurement is, before he makes the springs, it will probably save you the headache.

On shocks, I've been running some inexpensive Gabriel Guardian shocks. I'm happy with them but they aren't a fancy shock by any means. In the past, I have run Bilstein 5100 and 7100 series shocks. They were good too. None of the shock setups I've had so far have impressed me to the point of making me a true fan yet. I'm going to try some custom valved Icon shocks on my Land Cruiser here soon. If that doesn't work, I think I'll just run cheap shock from there on out.

Post up and let me know if you have any questions and I'll be sure to get back to you! By the way, I just took the Waggy out of winter storage last weekend so I'll be doing more Jeep stuff soon!

Fire1 wrote:Hi Lumpski, I'm located in Australia and have recently purchased a 1982 NT Cherokee 4 door, 360, 727, NP208. It's a one owner, 130,000km no rust with a set of 235/75 R15's dated 1989 and still have 40% tread. I've spent a few hours looking over your very impressive and informative thread, you certainly go on some nice road trips!

I'm considering a lift on my rig and will most likely copy your 2" Alcan with 30 X 9.5" tires. I just have a few questions if that's ok.

Did the 30" tires rub before you installed the lift? I'm a bit concerned about driving around on my 30 year old tires, the Alcan Springs will take about 3 months to fabricate and ship to Australia.

Are you happy with the lift and tire size combo?

You added a leaf on the rear from your old Spring pack to increase the rake. Are you happy with that or would you recommend requesting Alcan to add the 1/2" into the rear springs?

I'm a bit concerned about the problem you had fitting the rear springs. Did Alcan have any reason the main leaves were the wrong size? I won't be able to drive them back like you did so I need to be very accurate with my order :)

Any other tip you have would be greatly appreciated, shocks, bushings etc.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

letank

Post by letank »

I used to have 30x9.5 on stock saggy springs, the only rubbing was while turning, could not do full lock to lock.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Fire1

Post by Fire1 »

Hi Lumpskie and Letank, thanks for the information and advice. I will remove one of the rear springs and take the measurements as you suggest but unfortunately I've just snapped my wrist in a motorcycle accident and am out of action for three months. Other than that I'm looking forward to making some improvements to the old girl.
1980 J20 258 4 speed, stock suspension
1982 Cherokee NT 360 auto, stock suspension

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Bummer about the wrist! I want to say my eye-to-eye measurement was 55"... but it has been a long time. Let me know if I can help in any way and, if you get a chance, post up some pictures of your rig!

In that spirit: