Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Re: Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Post by Lumpskie »

Ok. So, my wife was driving the Jeep up to the cabin to do some work. On the way, she called me saying the transmission was slipping pretty bad. I told her to top off the fluid no big deal. She had some issue with holding the funnel and pouring the fluid so I got off of work early and helped her out. With the fluid topped off, the Jeep ran great and she was on her way. I helped at the cabin for the evening and headed home to do more work on my Land Cruiser armor that night. The next morning, as I was heading back to the cabin, I got another call from her. She said, "This time the Jeep is broken pretty bad. It made some loud banging noises and, when I pulled over, I saw coolant spilling out everywhere." When I arrived at the parking lot where she was, I found this:
So, I'm ordering a new radiator, fan clutch and fan... probably from BJ's. Do you guys think I should do anything else while I'm in there?

BTW: Oil pressure has been back to normal after changing the oil and filter!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Edit: The video loaded and man! That sucks! At least the shroud is ok!

Is the BJ's fan clutch any kind of heavy duty? Does it say? I'd order either a 2747 or a 2797 clutch. The clutch that parts books say is stock is pretty wimpy. The 2747 is what would have come with the heavy duty cooling package.

To put it differently, the "stock" waggy clutch is hard to hear moving air at idle.

The 2747 is Buick loud. You can hear it, but you can also still hear the engine in the background.

The 2797 is Toyota loud. When that sucker is moving air all you can hear is the overpowering roar of the fan. But by god it's going to cool some hot water.

Also, the BJ's radiator is expensive. I'd say save a bunch and get a radiator from O'Reilly's. Lifetime warranty, and the plastic tank radiators easily last 10+ years if mechanical damage doesn't take them out. Plus, my 401 will barely heat up running lean in 90° weather with the "wimpy" plastic tank radiator. Your 360 would absolutely be adequately cooled by one.

If the BJ's radiator is still cross flow the stock shroud won't work.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Something I forgot...
FSJ Guy wrote:The Hayden 2797 is no longer available in a "slotted" bolt pattern. You have to get a HD clutch (not Severe Duty) instead. IIRC, I used a mid to late 80's Chevy truck to find one with the right hub diameter, etc.
This bit me in the butt in Moab when Wyatt's fan clutch went. You need a grinder with a cut off wheel for installation. The fan is hub centric so all you need to do is cut the bolt holes into slots. Doesn't even need to be very precise as it is merely a surface to clamp too. The hub takes all the centrifugal force.

The 2747 requires no modifications.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey Nikkormat,
Thanks for the replies!

Hmmm... The BJ's clutch looks like the wimpy one you were talking about:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Fan-Clutch_p_336.html

Where do I find information on all these fan clutches that you mentioned? I'd love to just swap something in and be done for a very long time. (looking, I think I found the Hayden 2747 on Summit Racing. Locally, Oreilly has a Murray 2747. Is that lower quality?)

The radiator I was looking at was this stock replacement one... looks like $75 more expensive than the O'Reilly one. (I kind of like the idea of an exact stock replacement but I could be talked out of it if you think the OReilly one would suit my needs better)

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Radiator-1972 ... p_352.html
Last edited by Lumpskie on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

That stock replacement one looks like it would suit your needs just fine! And I'll admit, the brass radiator looks nicer. But if you want to save $75 I don't think the plastic tanked radiator would disappoint. The brass radiator uses 3 rows each about a 1/4" long. The aluminum radiator uses one big core just shy of an inch long. In real world scenarios they should be about the same when new. My cheap radiator was a definite improvement over the used brass 3 core it replaced, but who knows how old that radiator was.

The BJ's fan appears to be the wimpy one. And pretty expensive for what it is.

As for specs on the fans, I don't know where the best place would be. Maybe rock Auto? They're easy to order in a parts store. Just ask them to cross a part number, tell them the number, and then that it's a fan clutch. They should find it no problem.

If you don't want to make the cuts to the 2797, go with the 2747. I know it fits perfectly, I've installed two. The distance from the water pump to the fan is identical. As is the fan mounting. The only funky thing is that it uses a brass bushing to size the hole for the pump hub. The bushing is included, they made the part that way to fit multiple applications. Infact... It's the part number napa shows for a 72/73 wagoneer with a 360 and heavy duty cooling...

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks man! I think I'll just order the 2747 from Rock Auto and the stock replacement radiator from BJ's. The fan is nicked up a bit but seems straight. Should I just order a new one to be on the safe side?

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Lumpskie wrote:Thanks man! I think I'll just order the 2747 from Rock Auto and the stock replacement radiator from BJ's. The fan is nicked up a bit but seems straight. Should I just order a new one to be on the safe side?
If it spins true, you're probably oaky. If it's tweaked enough to vibrate, it will eat the bearings out of the water pump.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

ProTouring442 wrote:
Lumpskie wrote:Thanks man! I think I'll just order the 2747 from Rock Auto and the stock replacement radiator from BJ's. The fan is nicked up a bit but seems straight. Should I just order a new one to be on the safe side?
If it spins true, you're probably oaky. If it's tweaked enough to vibrate, it will eat the bearings out of the water pump.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on the current one and, if it vibrates, I'll just buy a new one.

Thanks again,

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Lumpskie wrote:
ProTouring442 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on the current one and, if it vibrates, I'll just buy a new one.

Thanks again,
They're pretty cheap insurance, but like he said as long as it spins true it should be fine.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Maybe I should just pick one up and be done.

It was suggested that I look at the water pump at the same time... what do you guys think?

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Also, BJ's emailed me. Apparently their stock radiators are ordered out... 1-2 weeks. Do you guy think that it's worth the wait?

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I liked their stock radiator. Not a fan of plastic tanks. Given the original stocker was 33 years old, I don't see how plastic will last that long in a hot environment along with the natural tendency of plastic to degrade over time. If I daily drove the jeep, I'd do plastic tanks, but since I don't, I did a stock style for longevity.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

dodgerammit wrote:I liked their stock radiator. Not a fan of plastic tanks. Given the original stocker was 33 years old, I don't see how plastic will last that long in a hot environment along with the natural tendency of plastic to degrade over time. If I daily drove the jeep, I'd do plastic tanks, but since I don't, I did a stock style for longevity.
Thanks for the feedback. The Jeep is my wife's daily driver but she has another car. I guess I can just wait and see when the BJ's radiator comes in. What do you guys think on water pump? Should I just order one to be on the safe side?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Lumpskie wrote:
dodgerammit wrote:I liked their stock radiator. Not a fan of plastic tanks. Given the original stocker was 33 years old, I don't see how plastic will last that long in a hot environment along with the natural tendency of plastic to degrade over time. If I daily drove the jeep, I'd do plastic tanks, but since I don't, I did a stock style for longevity.
Thanks for the feedback. The Jeep is my wife's daily driver but she has another car. I guess I can just wait and see when the BJ's radiator comes in. What do you guys think on water pump? Should I just order one to be on the safe side?
Your engine was rebuilt pretty recently right? The pump should probably be fine. I'd pull the fan off and check for play in the pump. If there is play change it out. If there isn't and I'd leave it alone.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Nikkormat wrote:
Lumpskie wrote:
Your engine was rebuilt pretty recently right? The pump should probably be fine. I'd pull the fan off and check for play in the pump. If there is play change it out. If there isn't and I'd leave it alone.
Yes sir. The engine has about 40k on it now. I'll take your advice and check for play and go from there. Thanks for getting back to me.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

BJ's replacement radiator finally arrived! Now, I need to find the time to actually swap everything out.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Took me about 1.5 hours in 38* weather with multiple 15 minute breaks. Hoses and t-stat replaced at same time. Actual wrench time is probably only 30-40 minutes.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I finally dug into this today. I got everything pulled out but the fan is definitely bent. Just ordered a new one from BJ's. Also lost the smog pump belt. Ordered that from Rockauto.

So... project back on hold for a couple days.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Good on you for sticking to the do it right, and do it once motto.