Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

letank

Re: Lumpskie's "More Questions than Answers" build

Post by letank »

Fire1 wrote:Hi Lumpskie and Letank, thanks for the information and advice. I will remove one of the rear springs and take the measurements as you suggest but unfortunately I've just snapped my wrist in a motorcycle accident and am out of action for three months. Other than that I'm looking forward to making some improvements to the old girl.
Dang sorry about the wrist, I did my ankle tuesday the 22nd, triple fracture of the malleolus, waiting for surgery , the emergency radio did not work, I had to make some crutches and hop for about 1 mile until I got a signal. Speedy recovery.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Fire1

Post by Fire1 »

letank wrote:
Fire1 wrote:Hi Lumpskie and Letank, thanks for the information and advice. I will remove one of the rear springs and take the measurements as you suggest but unfortunately I've just snapped my wrist in a motorcycle accident and am out of action for three months. Other than that I'm looking forward to making some improvements to the old girl.
Dang sorry about the wrist, I did my ankle tuesday the 22nd, triple fracture of the malleolus, waiting for surgery , the emergency radio did not work, I had to make some crutches and hop for about 1 mile until I got a signal. Speedy recovery.
Same to you mate....sounds like you had a tough time.
1980 J20 258 4 speed, stock suspension
1982 Cherokee NT 360 auto, stock suspension

az chip

Post by az chip »

What "emergency radio" did not work?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

letank

Post by letank »

az chip wrote:What "emergency radio" did not work?
We had the radio one of those handheld short wave programmed and tested, I could not reach other people, probably a noob mistake. Everything has been left at my friend's cabin, so I can give details in 4 weeks when the leg can be used.
May be the spot is better!
Back from the surgery ...
Michel

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Yikes, letank! I hope you are feeling better after surgery!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

My muffler broke free of the exhaust tubing, up stream. I took a look and decided I couldn't fix the muffler. It broke at the interface with the upstream exhaust pipe and broke all the way around, leaving a decent size gap. I just scheduled a local exhaust shop to weld a new muffler in there. Getting it done today. Having fun driving in the mean time!

1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

az chip

Post by az chip »

letank wrote:
az chip wrote:What "emergency radio" did not work?
We had the radio one of those handheld short wave programmed and tested, I could not reach other people, probably a noob mistake. Everything has been left at my friend's cabin, so I can give details in 4 weeks when the leg can be used.
May be the spot is better!
Back from the surgery ...
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

letank

Post by letank »

Lumpskie wrote:Yikes, letank! I hope you are feeling better after surgery!
thank you, pins and plates installed 48hrs ago.
Michel

letank

Post by letank »

az chip wrote: Wishing you a speedy recovery.
thank you, yes no wheeling nor wrenching for a while, only computer work
Michel

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Got a new muffler for the Waggy. Much shinier than the rest of the rig:

After 15 years of storage, my buddy's Jeep is ready for it's first run tomorrow. It has a new fuel system, new electrical system (You can see fuel cell and battery box in rear), new suspension, new sliders, new skid plates, updated front bumper, new rear bumper, and new winch. Looking forward to seeing how it does tomorrow.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

What is the size of the rims and tires in that picture ?

Thanks

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

yz400e wrote:What is the size of the rims and tires in that picture ?

Thanks
He's running HMMV 37" tires on 16.5 (I believe) wheels. He clearanced the fenders so he is running them on roughly 2" of lift.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

thanks,
I like the looks of his set up. I really like that style of wheel and taller tire. I remember the super tall sidewalls that were made for or common on Suburbans, wasn't sure they were still made even.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Yeah, that Jeep works pretty well. We wheeled it pretty hard last weekend. We hit every skid, slider and bumper over the course of the trip and it just kept going... only had to winch once!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Here's a video I grabbed from yesterday as well:

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That Cherokee sounds pretty healthy! Crawls great too.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

That is definitely cool. I have a set of 33x12.5x15's for my J10 so I"m not really looking for tires. That said, they will probably dry rot away before I ever manage to get it running in which case I will be looking for tires when it is finally running.

I did some searches on hummvee tires. I found some hits on Pirate4x4 and SteelSoldiers but nothing recent (2011) so I have questions as what I read there seems contradictory to the pictures you posted. Does your friend use beads or powder to get them balanced ? to what PSI did you air the tires down ? has he ever had problems with rolling the bead ? the posts I read say the sidewalls are weak. weak compared to what ? they look like they are more than capable for anything I expect to encounter in Montana. Does he run them on the road much ? if so how does he like them ?

I had seen what looks to be the same rim listed at summitracing a week or so ago. I was hoping they had them in 17" but the largest I saw was 16.5" and was wondering what tires were available for the rim...now I know.

anyway, awesome setup.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks guys,

yz400e, I don't have a huge amount of experience with the HMMV tires but, I do know that they do well offroad. We ran them against tree roots and sharp rocks and they didn't have any issues. Plus, they were cheap (free). As for balancing, they seem balanced but we haven't run the truck faster than 50mph or so. He just got them balanced at a local tire shop, with standard weights. I'm not sure how they'd do with highway speeds or daily driving but they have done well in the conditions I've seen.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Nothing too exciting but I did replace my alternator belts as well as the smog pump and belt. We'll be taking both the Waggy and the Cruiser up to the cabin on Friday. We'll stay for a week and probably get a little wheeling in while we're there.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

The driver's seat belt buckle wasn't staying reliably buckled. So, I ordered a new one off of Team Grand Wagoneer. The belt color isn't great but at least the buckle will match the rest.

Looks like Jeep used a big torx fastener to hold the belts on. I think I might as well just buy a nice set. Anyone out there have a recommendation for a good torx set I can order? Or should I just go to Sears and see if Craftsman has a set?