84 Grand Wagoneer- LT1/ 4L60E/ NP241/ Dana 60F/ Dana 70/ SOA

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

jpswapmohn

Re: 84 Grand Wagoneer- LT1/ 4L60E/ NP241/ Dana 60F/ Dana 70/ SOA

Post by jpswapmohn »

Thanks for the update, Dan!
I am interested in how you tied the cruise control into the jeep. Does it just plug into the ECM and go off of that? I didn't grab the unit off the car I pulled my initial engine, harness, etc. out of back in '04. I m sure I could find one in a yard though. Would be cool to have it as an option. Maybe I can tie it into the Jeep cc controls on the column.

A little of my experience that might help in your planning (i.e. learn from my mistakes):
1. Shifter and column. I had a Lokar cable shifter on mine for awhile. I tried to create an arm on the shaft that would get all 4 gears. I failed.. couldn't get to 1st. Now I have a B&M floor shifter and am planning to swap in an early XJ column (tilt, cruise, wiper and all were floor-shift). My understanding is that the early (pre-airbag) columns require a little mod to the mounting support but otherwise are straight swaps. We will see. The one and only time I attempted to open an old (1960's) steering column and fix a key cylinder, I failed miserably. I am impressed with the work you put into yours!
I also now have a NP242 shifter to get sorted. I have not installed the linkage and shifter yet. Need to figure out where I want it to come through the floor.

2. My engine could be a couple of inches closer to the firewall, which would make room for cleaner air intake plumbing. I have some Spectre junk pieced together for time being and haven't gotten back to make/form something better. The tough part is the bend coming off the TB before hitting the e-fan and radiator. I hope you set your drivetrain back a little better than I did. That little bit of clearance also helps with access to front of engine, etc. I set mine to keep the NP229 in the same place for simple mounting, drive shafts, etc. Since I am on my 3rd rear shaft due to modifications and need to have my front shaft shortened a bit for the NP242, I shouldn't have worried about it.

3. My rig has been back on the road for a few months now after my last deployment. The relatively new PS pump went out a couple years ago. I just drove it that way, but my wife couldn't turn the wheels unless it was rolling. I swapped in a reman unit in July. You can't get new ones for the LT1 anymore. It lasted 3.5 months and popped on me while backing into a parking spot. I swapped in another one today. This one has a life time warranty so I won't have to buy another one the next time. I have replaced the lines, purged the cooler and verified there are no kinks, etc. I am thinking the pump just isn't cut out for a heavy 4x4 front end. D44 with LSD and 32" tires may be too much for it. I will be interested in seeing how yours holds up supporting the hydroboost and your D60 and 37's. I hope it is up to the task. Maybe I just had a bad run of remanufactured pumps.

There is a way to modify the pump to increase volume and line pressure. I haven't tried it yet. This explains how: http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/p ... ering.html
TurnOne will build 1 to your specs, but they are spendy. I looked around for a smaller pulley to get pump RPM's up at idle, but haven't found anything that would work. This may be something you want to add to your list as you spend time on the build.

It looks like you guys have some serious skills and a pretty good set up for the custom work you do. I am anxious to see how your wagoneer turns out. I definitely understand the slow "when time allows and I feel like it" build progress. b
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

lurch1980

Post by lurch1980 »

Thanks for the update and wow, Those cars look great! Also thanks for the detail in your posts. I'm starting my swap (L31-4L60E-Staks 3 speed) in my 84 Grand Wagoneer and I really do appreciate being able to see what you've done to deal with some of the issues I have been thinking about.

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

Post by Mustang Shooter »

Got the anti wrap perches in, hopefully we can get them installed soon.

These came from Barnes 4WD
Total length is 7-3/4" and 2-1/2" wide
Dan

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

The Tom Woods NP241C slip yoke eliminator kit showed up this evening!

Hopefully we can get a chance to get the transfer case and transmission installed this weekend.
Dan

lurch1980

Post by lurch1980 »

Oh buddy! Christmas is a touch early :)

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

The cruise control is not completely tied into the ECM, there are a few splices between them.
I had all of the Camaro so I was able to take my time and disassemble the entire harness.
I would try to find the cruise unit from a truck, simply because the unit is mounted to the firewall on the drivers side engine compartment and it will have a shorter control cable, which will connect to the arm on the throttle body. My Camaro was mounted to the front of the car and had a cable that was like 5 foot long. It was slightly damaged when I totaled the car, but I was able to modify and shorten/repair it.
You should also get all of the cruise controll harness and connectors.
The late Grand Wagoneer column multi switch control may be the same as the one used from the Camaro. I have not seen one in person, only from looking at some Grand Wagoneer late columns on Ebay.
The wires will need to be tied into the brake switch, VSS, and get power through a fused ignition accessory circuit.

Multi switch control connector on column

Multi switch connector, wires go to both wiper motor and cruise control module

Under hood fuse box from Camaro. The yellow 20 amp fuse is where power is supplied.

Cruise control harness connector on cruise control module. These are the other end of from column connection.

These diagrams are from my 94 Camaro service manual. I think the other GM cruise systems should be similar

You will never get the 727 column detent to allow the full shift movement (P-R-N-OD-D-2-1) in the 4l60e.
You have to swap the column detent from a 4L60E equipped column.
On the left is 4L60E, the right is TF727.

Hopefully some of that helps.
Let me know if I need to answer anything else.
Thanks for the heads up on the power steering pump issue you were having.
I read the link that Matt wrote on the pump modifications.
I actually bought some Tereflex suspension parts for a Wrangler from them. They were for our first paying job when we opened our shop. He was super nice and answered the questions I had.

Dan
Last edited by Mustang Shooter on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Wow, thanks for the details on the CC. I will definitely look for a GM truck setup and see if I can wire it in. I don't use CC a lot, but it nice to have for road trips.
I did the Tom Woods HD kit on my NP242 that included the rear driveshaft. It was a pretty straight forward conversion and they let me wait until I had it in the jeep to measure for drive shaft length and then shipped that out separately. Their HD shaft is much nicer than the hack/tap typical on 242's.
b
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That Boss looks stunning. Thanks for the update!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

Well, I just dumped my Photobucket account!
If anyone ever wants to see anything, send me a PM and I will send it to you, I still have all of the pics from the account on another hard drive.
Dan

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

This PB thing is really creating an issue, especially on public forums like this one!
I just bought a domain name, and hope to figure out how to set up my own repository for hosting my photos. Of course, I will have to pay for that, which I am resigned to. I technically could set up an old laptop as a "server" that is always connected and mapped, but I really don't want to do that. As often as I seem to relocate, all the paths would break every time I set it up on some other network.

A picture is worth a thousands words, especially when you are trying to explain a physical arrangements of objects in space..

Really a shame at the amount of useful information we have lost from this. I have a lot of threads bookmarked in Safari for reference when I need them for my intended (someday..) projects. Now, most of them are pretty worthless as the photos provided most of the actual information.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)