Dave's 76 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

tgreese

Re: Dave's 76 Cherokee

Post by tgreese »

I'm sure you realize this, but a black engine compartment (and black engine) makes the engine compartment ... dark. Good for hiding leaks too.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I do understand, the engine bay in the example I posted is dark and chasing down leaks would be more difficult, but it sure looks good.

Once I have the body swapped I don't want to repaint the engine bay since I have not decided on the factory red or possibly white it make sense to go black.

If this were an LS1 or LS3, I would be inclined to pulling the engine when I paint the exterior to paint the engine bay.

Being an LS truck motor, it's nothing to get excited about visually.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I'm curious to see how bed liner does when exposed to engine heat. Do you think it'll be ok?

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Good point, I used Upol on the bottom of my CJ and up to the seam on the lower portion of the firewall but I didn't own it long enough after completion to assess performance. Checking the Upol TDS the maximum temperature resistance is 212 degrees so it may not be appropriate even on the pan where idling exhaust heat would likely be much hotter.

tedlovesjeeps71

243 wrote:Good point, I used Upol on the bottom of my CJ and up to the seam on the lower portion of the firewall but I didn't own it long enough after completion to assess performance. Checking the Upol TDS the maximum temperature resistance is 212 degrees so it may not be appropriate even on the pan where idling exhaust heat would likely be much hotter.
That would suck to use it then have it melt/make for a stinky tie. Image too bad they don’t have a high heat, ceramic type you could use?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

SPI used to make a bed liner, but IIRC it's not available any more. From my following along, it seems like the Raptor stuff is the preferred brand now. I'm not a fan of bed liner, but I understand you're wanting to decouple the exterior color from the engine compartment painting. I would just pick a color and go with it for everywhere.

I would contact the bed liner manufacturer, if I was set on s pecific product. Pretty sure you'd want to keep the bed lined surfce several inches away from the exhaust for the whole run. If you want to cast a wider net, I'd suggest you post on the SPI forum http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php - Barry (?) is an SPI owner and paint chemist and might have some expert advice. You could also call Paul at Epoxy Products http://www.epoxyproducts.com/ - he's a chemist who could tell you what products would be good for that purpose.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tedlovesjeeps71

Another idea would be to fashion some heat shield and attach it along the exhaust run. But it'd be a guess as to if it would be effective enough to keep the bed liner protected.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I have talked to Barry a few times by phone, he was quite helpful with my questions concerning Universal Clear that I used on the CJ.

Using bedliner on the bottom of the pan is not a requirement.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's mostly been rain, a lot of rain slowing down work but dry yesterday and today.

These shots basically look like all the others but this time I am ready to take if off and finish up the welds, this is probably my fourth attempt but ultimately adding 1" to the 1.5" spacer allowed room to cut and thread the Jeep brake rod and weld a coupler to the Yukon rod with room for adjustment. The front face of the master cylinder is about 1.5" further forward than factory but I can live with that. I have a picture of the brake pedal to the floor and the rod is darn near centered in the hydroboost but the picture is blurry and I am too lazy to take another.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

It's been busy so no time to work on the Jeep but now that Christmas is over and I have a little vacation time (but no money) I looked for low buck work. I ruined both front inner axle seals a year ago and bought 1/2" threaded rod and nuts that to make a tool but got sidetracked.

While cleaning the garage this morning I found the jacked up seals and a piece of exhaust pipe and the doggone pipe fit the seal perfectly. I welded an end cap to the pipe and did a trial run and pulled the passenger side seal into place easy peasy.

I ordered two seals and the outer seal kits, I know I bought the outer seal kits but I can't find them anywhere. Before I can reassemble the front axle I need to repair the backing plates, de-rust everything, prime and paint. I started using the battery charger to remove rust and it works good and will use it on the differential and the outer axle parts.

I am also ordering lug studs for the rear, I want to get the wheels off the floor.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

This is supposed to be fun but not so much today!

I did not put the six bolts in the knuckles after replacing the ball joints and no way could I get the bottom bolt past the ball joint nut and stud. I shortened the bolt the bare minimum to provide full threads for the nut but it was not going ing. So I tried to break the ball joints loose but mangled the lower so two more on order. They are 56.00 each locally but 35.00 shipped for the pair through Amazon but it's still 35.00 down the drain and lost time.

I cleaned up the differential and I had zip tied the bearings in place but there are no shims, I can't remember if they even had shims. I used a huge zip tie and know I did that to keep the bearing races on the correct sides, I believe I would have included the shims if it had any. And one roller is chewed up really bad, I had planned to replaced the ring and pinion on both ends after I swapped the body and got it on the road and I think I will do that even with what I have found.

I have no intention of even hooking up the driveshaft. I will have the hubs disengaged but let me know if that is a bad idea.

I received the outer seal kits and then I found two more sets on the shelf in garage...like I said, this is supposed to be fun.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I looked back through my photos and found no pictures of the differential but looked at the FSM and see that the pre-load shims are under the bearings, now I don't need to worry about it :D

Hawkeye_Cherokee

Post by Hawkeye_Cherokee »

I hear you on the "supposed to be fun" topic lol every step forward I take I realize I have no clue what to do with the next five steps

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Our department receives a good number of days for the winter break and this year I used 3 days of vacation to make it 15 total days off including weekends but opted to go back to work today and tomorrow but take off Friday for a three day weekend. It has rained all day and is supposed to rain tomorrow and I will use the vacation to go to my neices graduation in May. Over the last few days I de-rusted and painted the axles, brake backing plates, rotors and spindles and started re-assembly.

I was able to install the inner axle seals and used a hardening sealant and hope they don't leak.

I bought new bearings and installed the wheel seals too deep so I went out at lunch and bought another set <<< I hate when I do that!

I didn't pack the rear of the spindle with grease either so I took off both sides, packed them with grease and re-installed the seals correctly. Everything went together nicely and the temporary wheels are off the floor and supporting the frame on the cribbing, finally :D

I am not sure what I will do next, I may finish off the brakes or start on the fuel lines, both need to be complete before I start on the exhaust.

az chip

Post by az chip »

New leaf springs?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Well, I had a plan to pay a grand a month on my truck for five months and pay it off, put a grand a month back in savings for two months and roll into a car payment when deals got really good in November. In the gap, order my exhaust parts, brake line materials and possibly a rear disc conversion and finish the chassis, or at the very least, make some progress.

Bought the 2010 2500HD with 85K miles to replace the ten year old 200K mile Frontier with the intention of paying it off as soon as reasonably possible and get a car, it will be ten years old in December and I really love the truck.

I went to the local dealership to order a GT Premium with the 10spd, 3.55's, leather and spoiler delete since interest rate dropped to 0% with a grand rebate until July 1st and before 2020's became available for order. I found a good number of better optioned GT's in Houston with the Performance Pack 1 so I asked the local dealer to get one. Unfortunately for them, they wanted a fully executed contract before bringing the car to College Station and I just don't do business that way. I walked out at 7pm on Thursday.

I guess the fugger's (mostly the sales manager) didn't know how easy it would be to piss me off and how seriously honest I was about keeping my word.

This GT MSRP was thousands more than the special order, and thousands less on the final negotiated deal.

I don't want to appear to be bragging but I am happy, this is the first new vehicle since my 2005 Frontier and before that all the new vehicles were purchased for my EX to safely cart the kids around in the Bayou Chitty.

I have not owned a car, not counting the EX's since my 1991 5.0 Coupe ~1998. I have been planning for almost two years and considered a 2014-2017 Base C7 Vette, Cadillac CTS-V, Camaro SS, Challenger, Porsche Cayman and the GT one out.

My brother who "who bleeds blue" called me and ask how the drive home was going...I said it's hard to steer with my pecker hitting the steering wheel :D

About noon on Friday :-bd

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

So you drove to Houston and that's why it's on the trailer?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

It's a Ford, that's where it will spend most of it's time! Ha! Seriously though congratulations on the new ride. It looks great. I've always been a sucker for red. My buddy has a 2014(?) that has a wipple super charger on it and it's no joke. It dont take much for these things to put down some serious power!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Yep, drove to Houston

Found On the Road Dead :D

I like them all...the 5.0 fits right in with the almost 10 year old Chevy truck and 41 year old soon to be LS powered Jeep