Dave's 76 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author

Re: Dave's 76 Cherokee

Post by 243 »

It sure is nice seeing an almost blank slate. I though I would have more and larger openings to weld up in the firewall but this will be easier than expected to clean up. I am also blocking off the outside air vents even though I really like them after the Vintage Air is installed I will likely never use them.

My intent after parting the Grand Wag was to try to adapt the newer style windshield wiper transmission and motor. The transmission appears to be a bolt-in but the 78 motor mounts differently with an extra bracket. Comparing photos of the 87 firewall to the 78, it appears that I only need to cut off the bracket on the 78. The 87 has a four-wire motor and I plan to add a wiper delay, likely using the 80's Ford unit that are quite common in Ebay but I am still looking at options.

I also noticed I have the old style fuse block, I have the harness from the Grand Wag but now I am considering a universal harness and fuse box as an option.

And last, the steering column mount really obscures the visiblity to the master cylinder bolts so I will try to cut some strategic openings to allow access when I start working on the hydroboost.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

On my 75, I did just that, cut the bracket off the firewall and used self tapping screws to mount it. It's been there since 09 and still going strong,
I had also used the entire grand harness, including both front doors to get power windows and locks. It worked great, fell right into place, but after a couple years, it was developing the same problems everyone else has with the old stuff. That being said, id suggest a new harness if you can. It'll be much less headache later...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Thanks Jeff. I have not even looked at the GW harness but I did (restore?) repairing damage, replacing connectors and so forth on a CJ harness and it worked fine,. On the other hand, with an engine swap, ac swap, need for headlight upgrade modifications so much is changed using a stock harness may likely be more work.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

The initial hydroboost mockup tells me this will take some thinking, work, trial and error.

I had hoped to not need a spacer so I mounted it with the Yukon backing plate, I like that it's flat or parallel to the ground but the proportioning valve is too low and probably close to exhaust manifold and the brake lines from the valve up to the mc are hitting the fender. The valve could be relocated and the lines bent to fit but there is more.

It may help the rod to pedal pin alignment if the assembly was tilted up a little. I believe I will try to use the Cherokee aluminum spacer that has come tilt built in.

And the snout of the hydroboost projects a bigly amount past the firewall.

Pedal up full travel,

Pedal down full travel,

Now is a good time to mock up the throttle pedal.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I'd like to know how you got the dash out with the windshield still installed.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

It was a pain in the butt and the cracked dash pad now fits in a shoe box :D

After that was out of the way I used two small pry bars to lift the seal on either side of the torx bolts and zipped them out with the impact. I did strip one not getting the bit fully seated so I had to drill it out.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I knew I would not sleep so I went back out to remove the hydroboost and as soon as I looked at the Jeep spacer I knew it would be easier than I expected to mock it up.

The fit is much better!

I may have to get a lower profile master cylinder.

tedlovesjeeps71

243 wrote:It was a pain in the butt and the cracked dash pad now fits in a shoe box :D

After that was out of the way I used two small pry bars to lift the seal on either side of the torx bolts and zipped them out with the impact. I did strip one not getting the bit fully seated so I had to drill it out.
Hahaha... I guess that gets 'er done. ImageImage

tedlovesjeeps71

Maybe one of the astrovan ones or an older metal one?

az chip

Post by az chip »

'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

The transmission parts arrived Tuesday and I started assembly yesterday morning. It was pretty easy and in an hour or so I had the output shaft to the forward sprag assembly installed before heading to work. After returning I picked up where I left off and assembled the input housing assembly. Up to that point the hardest part was a few split rings, they are a PIA and there are likely split ring pliers designs for those type of rings but I only have the HF China'loca set. Installing a few of the bushing without proper fitting bushing drivers took a little time and patience but I would rather install ten bushings than one snap ring. The clutch pack clearances were correct and as recommended I air checked the input housing and all the clutches worked as I believe they are designed.

It was late last night when I started on the reverse input housing that begins with fitting the reverse input drum in the housing. I tore one of two lip seals trying to install drum using a feeler gauge and this morning I see there are some alternative installation methods that should help during round two. I have to order a new lip seal today, I doubt I will find one locally.

I will work on the pump next and if the seals are still in route I will work on the valve body, the Transgo kit was supposed to arrive yesterday but as is typical the fuggin post office is late. I am also waiting on the new 1-2 servo and you guessed it, the fuggin post office is dragging a$$.

If I run out of transmission work or want a break I will likely pull the Turbo 400 and Quadratrac and put them up for sale. But mostly I want the transmission, cooler lines, exhaust and engine mount frame horns out of the way so I can start working on patch panels for the firewall.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

It was a good weekend, I worked on everything but the transmission. Yesterday I pulled the transmission, transfer case and driveshafts. Cut the exhaust out, removed the engine stands and all the other crap under the hood that didn't need to be there. Spaced out the hydroboost a bit and decreased the tilt, took off the Yukon PV valve that I don't think I will be able use, cut off the 78 wiper motor bracket and installed the 87 motor.

I believe with the correct thickness spacer a simple bronze bushing will work to connect the Yukon hydroboost rod to the pedal. I still need to lower the hydroboost, you can see that it's not centered in the firewall opening like the original. I modified the Yukon backing plate just to mock it up and didn't have a place to drill holes if I centered it.

I worked on the accelerator pedal, it took a while and works fine but I may fine tune it a little. It is 1.5" too high from the bottom of the pedal to the floor, rather than lowering it, I may add steel to correct the height and move the bracket higher on the firewall if it will minimize interference with the raised section around the steering column bracket.

Last edited by 243 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I also need to test fit the early dash, I am sure it will fit but I want to see if I can correct something that just bugs me, the column is off center from the gauge cluster and I need to modify the dash to fit the later column that is a larger diameter. It may be that shifting the column to the left just won't work with the seat position. The other modifications I have in my head are Mustang or F150 dash vents, a solid panel in place of the glove box and a Double Din style receiver. I am not sure at this point if I want the later model column with the multi-function stalk because it's big and bulky, and I kinda like the floor mounted dimmer :D

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

What I found on my '84 is that the column in its normal position ends up centered on the early cluster.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

With an early dash or the original dash?

I am asking because the column opening in the original dash is offset to the right.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I put an early dash in the '84. Took the wider column mount out of the '84 dash and put it in the older one. It's now centered on the old cluster and the braces to the firewall fit.

Idunno if the older columns were straight and the '84 column sits at an angle, if they moved the later columns to the left and kept them parallel to the center line of the vehicle, if the older columns were angled toward the center or some or all of the above.

Some pichers here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... 564&page=3
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Wow!

Awesome information as well as the work you did!!!

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Dave,
I could have sworn I posted this in your thread, but it isn’t there..

from my build thread:

69 dash with modifications similar to BigJ200’s. We went to a Vintage Air Mag Gen IV (which i am still amazed at the compact size of!). Modified the steering column mount area so the XJ column set in correct place. Modified the plastics piece that went under the late model steering column to go on the old dash. I think it looks pretty good. Since I went to a hazard light button on the dash, a piece of exhaust pipe was used to make a surround for the steering column to clean it up some. I always hated those hazard pull tabs on the columns. Probably too much time in Europe where the hazard button is prominent on the center of the dash.

We ended up going with push-button switches instead of the large toggles.

My rendering: Image
https://imgbox.com/BfOUzrpf

The gallery with buckets of pictures of progresss.. the dash work is kinda scattered throughout. This includes the shops pictures and some I have taken during visits.
http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS

The shop’s photo site for the wagoneer: http://gallery.pagecustoms.com/albun10
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Thanks!

Topic author

Post by 243 »

My bucket list included rebuilding a standard transmission, an automatic transmission and setting up gears in a differential. I rebuilt the T-177 in my CJ (yes it was a T-177, not a T-176) and it worked like a champ. Since I still have the valve body, 1-2 servo and miscellaneous parts to install on the 4L60 it is still on my bucket list :D

There were no real surprises or difficulties on the internal parts other than cutting the reverse piston seal. I installed the TransGo boost valve in the pump but I had the reverse drum assembled and didn't want to take a chance cutting the seal again so I didn't drill out the drum and install the orifice cups from the TransGo kit. The directions stated "if transmission is apart" so it must not be totally necessary.

I don't think I would hesitate to do it again or tackle the 6L90 in my 2500HD if it fails.

I trip every time I walk through the garage so I am cleaning that next along with the clearing dining-shop bench for the valve body work. I have all the goodies in the TransGo kit and a new separator plate so I should have plenty to do until tomorrow night.