Dave's 76 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author

Re: Dave's 76 Cherokee

Post by 243 »

With the engine and transmission working good I need go ahead and pull the transfer case, the chain has about 1.25" of slack and it clunks real hard between reverse and drive, I drive it with reasonable care but it will eventually be a problem.

I also need to rebuild the original 4-bolt steering box and replace the upper u-joint on the steering shaft, the combination of the two issues makes it real annoying to drive.

Since we have had a real wet winter and spring, I think I will go ahead and order a Ford wiper delay module and switch and also need to find a heater control vacuum switch that seems to have failed, the windshield fogs up like crazy.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

az chip

Post by az chip »

Just part of the fantasy of owning a classic!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

The steering wander has become progressively worse over the last few months, I am running a rebuilt Cardone thee-bolt box and it was loose from the beginning. I bought a rebuild kit for the original 76 casting 4-bolt Saginaw 800. Honestly, I don't recall why I replaced it, I think it was leaking and decided not to tackle a rebuild but I bought a kit and disassembled it before I moved last May. It may seem anal, insignificant and not required but the missing bolt bugs the crap out of me.

It also seems like I lost turning radius with the rebuilt box, it may be my imagination but I hope the original box cures it.

I powerwashed and de-greased it several times, took a carbide grinder and cleaned up some sharp flashing especially around the pitman shaft where it was hammered on, probably with a pickle fork and sprayed it with two coats of VHT caliper paint that seems to be pretty durable but I will bake it tonight for good measure.

I will start working on it later this week, I ordered a 50 inch pound torque wrench so no rush, at least until I get the wrench.

I will also order a u-joint for the upper end of the factory steering shaft, the lower was replaced with a 12.00 shaft off a 2000+ XJ. I guess if I was smart, I would order u-joints for both ends and never have to work on it again.

I also noticed the tilt column is loose, the steering wheel is off by a good 30 degrees and I will need to re-center the box, steering wheel and steering linkage. I will probably pop the wheel and tighten the tilt bolts at the same time.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Looking good and great info. You are not steering us wrong I hope.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Thanks.

I do look forward to better steering, I never remember it being an issue with my 79.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I wonder is anyone has done the H1 steering on an FSJ.

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

I used this GM 1 ton high steer kit and kept my stock pitman arm:

http://www.chassisunlimited.com/product ... k-kit.html

The only thing it was lacking is the part below. Without that special plastic disk it had a lot of play because the drag link can pivot prior to actually moving the tie rod. Works great now!

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/cat ... e=TRESTEER
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I was cruising craig's tonight and found a box of no-name cheapo lights, guy said two are fog and two are driving, I thought 60 was fair.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I picked up a switch, fuse holder and two 100w H3 bulbs for the driving lights, I have a handful of factory relays and will use those to wire it up. I was planning to use 12ga wire but the pigtails appear to be 16g so I will use 14ga I have on hand.

At times, I stumble over upgrades and repairs, the steering box is sitting on the kitchen counter and the rebuild parts spread out on the bar but I have not felt like working on it and I still need to order and torque wrench.

The craiglist lights are in addition to a Hella H4 conversion.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Broke down and spent the 25 bucks on a Powerball, it was a lot faster and the results better for sure. The wheels are in pretty good shape but I will restore them, sanding out the scratches when I have free time.

Last edited by 243 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Nice! Goes well together.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Earlier in the week I was able to get the 360 running steady and made a video in case a buyer is concerned about the condition. Yesterday I made good progress on the tear down. A local bodyshop wants to buy most of the front clip so a good portion of this morning will be working on finding the remaining bolts. I was able to salvage some good parts for re-sale and also for the Cherokee. Probably the most important was the headliner backing that will be used as a template, plus all the trim to hold it in place and the roof supports with the divider strip retainer.

With the sale of the clip I will have recouped the cost of the Jeep, fuel, trailer and made a few bucks more.

I will cut the quarters out today and will probably salvage the floor pans if they are clean.

I am not sure about the firewall, it makes sense to leave it in place until I have the engine located.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

Good progress this morning, I hope the remainder of the frame looks as good as the front.

Taking a break to see if Dak can lead the 'boys to another win....

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Re: Dave's 76 Cherokee

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

243 wrote:Good progress this morning, I hope the remainder of the frame looks as good as the front.

It should. All the leaking oil over the years should coat the frame. Haha!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

az chip

Post by az chip »

Just a heads up, the air injection hoses are hard to find and worth a bit to folks that have to do emissions testing. The whole set up is worth a lot to someone stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author

Post by 243 »

The air injection is mostly complete but the potential buyer may want it so I am leaving it on the engine.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

I had a conventional a-frame planned out but last night, at the last minute I changed my mind and scratched out a hillbilly hoist using 4x4's, double 2x8's and a sheet of OSB (10 bucks). When I have the engine out, the beam and OSB will go to the shed until I need to pull the Cherokee body and the 4x4's will be used to continue the 3-rail fence on the side of the house. I have never owned or even used a chain hoist and it is damn handy, I wish I had bought one a few decades ago. The hillbilly hoist had no issues pulling the front of the chassis off the ground so the engine and Cherokee body should be no problem. There was 1/2"-3/4" deflection in the horizontal 4x4's so I will scab a 2x6 to each side.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

A pretty decent amount of progress today, the frame looks very good with no sign of collisions and only the typical issues like rust around the body mount holes that will need repair. The shocks, tank skid and tank will be out tomorrow, the engine, trans and xfer case if I am feeling ambitious.

Topic author

Post by 243 »

The hillbilly hoist stood out like lipstick on a pig so I used the last of an open can of fence paint and it blends in better from the street. Technically, we are not supposed to work on vehicles in the driveway but I have no intention of following the rule. The engine is separated from the trans and xfer case and on pallets ready for a buyer, the engine is supposed to be sold but until the guy shows up on Thursday and hands me cash I own it.

To date:

782.00 - Jeep, fuel and trailer
774.00 - Parts sold

-8.00 - Balance

342.00 - Profit if the engine sells

I still have the front clip, trans, xfer case, front seats, three door panels, power window switches, doors gauge cluster. I am pretty sure I will make about 750.00 in the next few months.

Initially I though I would leave the firewall on the frame until the engine is located but I think I will be fine taking some pictures and measurements. It will be a cleaner engine bay with the LS, I will use a Vintage Air Magnum IV system that eliminates the heater box and leaning towards hydro boost brakes and that will eliminate the vacuum booster. No real plan now, just tinker with it while I have time. I took the CJ frame down to bare metal with wire wheels and I remember that taking about 12 hours, I don't want to spend that much time on this frame. I bought an attachment for my pressure washer to media blast, I have not tried it but if it does not work reasonably well I may look for a media blaster to do it all even if I have to drive to Houston.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Re: Dave's 76 Cherokee

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

243 wrote:I took the CJ frame down to bare metal with wire wheels and I remember that taking about 12 hours, I don't want to spend that much time on this frame. I bought an attachment for my pressure washer to media blast, I have not tried it but if it does not work reasonably well I may look for a media blaster to do it all even if I have to drive to Houston.

There should be a few companies that do "mobile" media blasting and could come to you. Watched a "dustless" blaster come do a buddies impala project and it was impressive. Company (husband and wife team) had a trailer with all the stuff on it pulled by a pickup. Set up some barriers to keep the slurry from escaping and had the entire car blasted in about 45 minutes. They cleaned up the small mess, packed up their barriers, and moved on to the next job. Pretty neat really.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk