The Four Door Longbed, a continuing project.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

66stepside

Re: The Four Door Longbed, a continuing project.

Post by 66stepside »

That looks FANTASTIC at the top of the the peak; a great visual metaphor for a truck that stands out as one of the best FSJ builds ever. Schweet work!

81Cherokee Laredo

Post by 81Cherokee Laredo »

This is one of my favorite builds, I just re-read it here on the new site. I've always liked how you kept the truck roof, a lot more work than just using the waggie but the results are well worth it.
81 Cherokee Laredo 360/727/219 - SOA/SF Inwk - 4.56 D44/AMC20 35 Cooper's - J20 Steering Box
83 Cherokee W/T - Katy - Long term project
89 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229 - 31 X 10.50

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

i have some updates comming in the next few months, including a coilover front end. so stay tuned in

Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

This thing.. Is so cool.. I'm speechless..

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

ok time for some new updates. so after about 3000 miles on the truck i have realized that the old leaf spring front suspension has to go. the truck rides nice on the highway, but on rougher paved roads and dirt forest service roads the ride is just too harsh. i have decided to just pull out all the stops and go full blown four link and coilovers. after doing lots of looking on the internet i have decided to purchase a ford superduty lift kit and modify it to fit my truck. why, well i am already running axles out of a ford superduty. the differential housing is only one inch from the inner knuckle so there is not much room to attatch any of the bracketry required for coils and links. with the kit it saves me alot of time figuring out all the brackets and suspension geometry.

lift kit converts 99-04 ford superdutys from leaf springs to coils.

here you can see how the axle brackets combine everything in one, and bolt inplace of the leaf spring. once installed the lower link should be parallel to the ground.

the shocks are fox racing 2.5" 8" travel coilovers, with 16" 450lb springs.

shock hoops all mocked up and ready to be welded in place.

i had to build some outrigers out of 3x3 square tube. the frame brackets will bolt to the tube that is going to be welded to the frame.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The kit is certainly going to save you a lot of time. Looking forward to updates :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

very, very nice

:fsj:

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Whoa, I am drooling. Slick!

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

Got the frame and shock mounts all welded up.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

What kit did you end up going with, and where do you get it if you don't mind sharing?

Seems like this sort of thing might be a viable way for converting to coils over a completely home engineered setup....possibly.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Cecil14 wrote:What kit did you end up going with, and where do you get it if you don't mind sharing?

Seems like this sort of thing might be a viable way for converting to coils over a completely home engineered setup....possibly.

aa
Up above he says it's a Full Traction kit to convert 99-04 super Duties to coils. The coil overs are Fox.

This kit is cool because of the bolt on nature. I have thrown around the idea of using JK arms and coils. But it would require dabbing all the mounts. Downside to the full traction kit is flex sucks. But that's not an issue in this case. I am curious as to how it will ride with his truck being so much lighter than a Super Duty.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Suppose I'd get a lot further if I learned how to read. lol

Austin: Did you go with the standard height kit? I see they offer several lift options.

edit: nevermind...once again I can't read. The other kits are still leaf based.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

I found your build this weekend and devoured the whole thread in one sitting. You’re doing some fantastic work on a very cool rig. :-bd

I have to say the one part that really got my juices going was your rear bumper. (um, the trucks not yours :P ) That looks great and is a huge aesthetic improvement over the stock bumpers which are pretty hard to come by anyway. Do you mind If I copy? I just love that look! Can’t wait to see it in finish paint.
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Damn Austin! :-bd Still yet you keep us on our feet with this rig. Can't wait to see it again in a few months.... the count down begins :fsj: .
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

i have also been working on the interior some this winter. i had to figure out a way of making some type of headliner. I ended up making a headliner board out of posterboard and duct tape. i trued to model it after the early kaiser style three piece headliners. the dome lights are just some cheap led accesory lights from the parts store. also i covered some of the metal areas with some more headliner material. i built a metal glove box to replace the cardboard one, this way i could mount my new stereo inside, no interest in cuting the dash. also i hid the speakers out of sight to keep everything nice and clean looking.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

That's sweet man! :fsj:

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Just to let you know I'm stealing your speaker idea!!! That's awesome with them hidden like that.

Sent from my Motorola Moto X
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Topic author
Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

well i got her siting on the links and coils! still lots to do but the big hurdle is over.

old school vs new school

ratchet straps are temporary, as i have yet to make a track bar.

jeremyji

Post by jeremyji »

I bet that will be WAY comfier riding than those thick leaf packs, even on the highway. I kinda want to put this on the to-do list for mine... but a 4 link would be overkill for my DD.

Onelow1ton

Post by Onelow1ton »

Such an awesome build very nice ! I would love to build a crew short bed 2wd to haul around my bodydropped wagoneer