Weezy's Waggy - 1990 w/ 5.3/4L60E/NP261

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
weezy

Re: Weezy's Waggy - 1990 w/ 5.3/4L60E/NP261

Post by weezy »

I will answer issue 1 above myself. I had disabled the EVAP functionality as part of the LT1swap ECU/harness rework. So while the vent hose was connected to the evap, the evap solenoid was never opening hence the pressure. Right now I am venting to the atmosphere, but I have ordered a random charcoal canister (don't think my jeep had one when i bought it) that I am going to try to rig up to cut down on gas fumes in the garage.

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

On Issue #2 having the temp gauge hooked up should not make any difference. You obviously need the ECU's temp sensor hooked up. I didn't read your whole thread but do you know what your ecu is programmed for for fan on/off?
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Topic author
weezy

Post by weezy »

On Issue #2 having the temp gauge hooked up should not make any difference. You obviously need the ECU's temp sensor hooked up. I didn't read your whole thread but do you know what your ecu is programmed for for fan on/off?
from brendan at LT1swap....

Fans are programmed for 201 on, 197 off. Blue connector pin 42. 204 on, 201 off red connector pin 33.

The signal is a GROUND to activate the fan relay.

As I mentioned, I don't have the gauges in yet so I don't know what temp the truck hit. My father said he drove it and let it idle for a while. I likely have a bad temp sensor or I wired the fan relays incorrectly.

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Or the engine didn't hit 201.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
weezy

Post by weezy »

I "almost" got my dakota digital gauges installed this weekend. I didn't realize that I had to reuse the stock gauge bezel for the new gauges. This wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't left the old gauges at my house, 80 miles away from my truck. Should be a quick job to finish up the next time that I travel to the truck though. For those of you who are thinking about the dakota digital gauges, this is what they look like before you install them in the stock bezel.

I was able to get the gauges operational though. While I still have some programming to do, RPMs, temp, volts, fuel, and oil pressure seem to be working. I now think that there is a better than even chance that the fans didn't kick on because the trigger temp never hit. Seems to run pretty cool.

I also tackled the rear three point harnesses to keep my little ladies safe. About $100 on Ebay for the three TRW belts and a package of hardware plus an hour of work were about all it took. Nice to have a project run cheaper and smoother than expected every now and then.

I also had a chance to drive it on the road for the first time. Loud and fast!

Atla

Post by Atla »

weezy wrote: Nice to have a project run cheaper and smoother than expected every now and then.
Quoted for truth!

:-bd
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Topic author
weezy

Post by weezy »

Question for the swappers out there... how do I get a functioning neutral safety switch? The NSS is hooked into my ECU via the two wires as per the LT1swap instructions, but the ECU doesn't control the starter. I am a little freaked out that the truck will start in any gear.

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

On the PN/NSS switch on your 4l60E you can use the starter coil relay feed to connect to the NSS stock wiring that used to be connected to the 727 NSS. The wires that connect to the ECU only tell it if the trans is in P/N for idle control, etc. I would have to look at the pinout to tell you exactly what wires but I know that its in the 7 pin connector.
I have an aftermarket shifter with NSS/PN/Reverse so I am going to delete that whole box and just use the ones built into my shifter since I destroyed the connectors trying to remove them and they seem fairly pricy.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

Topic author
weezy

Post by weezy »

It's been a long time since I have posted or logged into the site and I apologize to anyone that asked me questions. I have been driving my waggy - mostly during the summer - for over a year now. It runs great and I get a constant stream of compliments from people on the streets. My suspension started out pretty tight and jumpy and that lead to some white knuckled rides on the highway. It's loosened up now though and is riding much better especially if there is a bit of weight in the back I still have quite a bit of work to do - mostly on the interior and HVAC but I also have some electrical gremlins to chase down. Thought people might like to see what I have recently done on the interior.

I originally planned on using the stock interior door panels since mine were in really good shape after laboriously cleaning them. But I felt bad about de-wooding the outside of my waggy so I decided to use wood on the inside. Just used a sheet of 1/4" birch veneer plywood with a couple coats of semi-gloss Spar varnish. I searched long and hard for invisible hardware before settling on industrial strength velcro. The velcro and the armrest pressure are working like a charm.

I also searched long and hard for replacement armrests/door pulls. Mine were filthy and the plastic mounting locations were all broken. I couldn't find anything to retrofit and the used ones on ebay were unreasonably priced. So I removed the back plastic plates from the armrests, grinded the mounting remnants out and screwed in metal angled brackets that I had left over from some ikea project. Holding tight!

Then I cleaned up the armrests and primed and painted them with SEM vinyl/leather paint. Super happy with how the doors have come out. My interior quarter panel panels are now ready for varnish and I will velcro those in as well. Then it's time to tackle the headliner.

Jepht20

Post by Jepht20 »

You didn't search that hard, I have a few handles locally I'd have traded for beer!

Glad to hear its driving. Can't wait to see it!

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Man, I wish I could see the pictures in your last post. I think my work computer is blocking the images. It sounds like your rig has come together really well!

I have a selfish question. Is your dad still in the body shop business? If not, would you/he have a recommendation for a body guy? I have a couple of little spots on my '89 that I'd like an experience body guy, who knows wood grain Wagoneers to look at. Being new to New England, I don't want to risk going to a total stranger.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Pics don't show for me either...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Weird, they work for me. Nice work on the door handles/arm rests.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ