Betti- 89 Grand Wagoneer

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Re: Betti- 89 Grand Wagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

A bit more progress. Rear quarters cut, rock sliders all cut out and mocked up, winch plate cut out and mocked up. Still have to weld everything up and bolt in on but that much closer. Spent about 8 hours the other day measuring, mocking up and cutting metal. I highly recommend the Lenox metal saw blade for a circular saw, 7 1/4" blade. Expensive ($50 at Lowes) but every penny worth it and can be re-sharpened. Cut 1/4 plate, 2x2 and 2x6-1/4" all day long like nothing. Never even took out the metal chop saw. Oh and that was with a $10 skill saw that is about 12 yrs old. Lots of pics but here are a few.
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Axle swap complete! Ran into a few snags with the brakes but got everything ironed out. Found out that a mid 90's chevy 1/2-3/4 ton master cylinder already set up for disc front and rear is a direct bolt on, worked out perfect. Very happy with how it came out. Its sitting on some 33" tires right now b/c i found a deal I couldn't pass up, will eventually be sitting on some 35" MT's. I'll have to get some better pics but here are a few cell pics for now.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

In between working on the jeep I decided to lift my pop up camper with custom 4" blocks and throw on some larger tires. Gained about a total of 6".

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Looking good!

Which mid 90's GM had rear disc brakes?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

I think it was a 95 or 96 Chevy truck. Next time I'm at autozone I'll have them look it up again for the exact model

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Stuka wrote:Looking good!

Which mid 90's GM had rear disc brakes?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
Had them look up the master cylinder that I bought. The have an '89 corvette master cylinder listed. I'm pretty sure that's the last one he pulled to check and it didn't match but it must be the one he scanned at check out. I'll have to get the numbers off the one I got and check.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

So a lot of work in the past few weeks. Got the rock sliders welded up and bolted on and finished up stage I of the bumper- winch mount and shackle mounts. Worked up till the last minute but made it to Uwharrie for ECI. Had a blast and met a lot of great people. Goal was to make the 3 1/2 hr drive, wheel it and then make it back. I accomplished that and while towing a pop up camper.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Plumbing e-brake

Post by surfwagoneer »

Ok so its almost time for my yearly inspection and I haven't rigged up my new ebrakes yet. I have 5" of suspension lift and a 14 bolt with eldorado calipers. Anyone know of an ebrake set up that will work? need something a bit longer than stock grand wagoneer, not sure if a j10 set up would be to long or not. any and all suggestions welcomed!

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

So I may or not have bought some new shoes for betti this week. Had a belt blow in one of the tires that I had gotten for cheap. Guess it was time. picked up some 315/75/16 Goodyear Kevlar MTR's.

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Looking good mate, I guess you will be more than ready for the fall ride.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Bwwhaler you gonna be at the fall ride?

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

I guess while I'm giving updates I picked this gem up a few weeks ............Farm fresh

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

No, I can't make the fall run, wish I could, I love camping in the fall, trails should be cooler too. I Thought I read somewhere that you picked up a Cherokee, but wasn't sure. That thing looks very nice.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Some PO had a dumb moment and put a moon roof in the thing so the floor pans are rotted out. The guy parked it 6 yrs ago but we did turn the key and the engine turned over. Immediate plan will just to get it running and put some floor pans and seats in it. Big plans from there but def long term.......I think its gonna be on the 10 yr plan....lol

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

So ended up getting a bit of progress done today. I still hadn't gotten a legit alignment since I did my axle swap in the spring. A rough measurement showed the toe in was pretty close. That being said I wanted to be absolutely sure with the new tires. Guy said it was pretty close and only made a small adjustment, good enough to set my mind at ease. Then went to see if the exhaust shop was open on a Sat. Go figure they were. 45 min later I had a new exhaust from the y pipe back. Complete with high flow cat, and cherry bomb (I supplied.) Mandrel bent 2.5" all the way back. Had the guy turn it into the frame rail and keep it tucked in as close as possible. I now have plenty of room for a rear track bar. It sounds good. Subtle at idle but a nice rumble when you step on the skinny pedal. I wasn't looking for anything amazing just for function, thus why I went with a cherry bomb. Slim and cheap. Also had the winch plate off. When I had made it I was rushing before ECI and through a quick coat of spray paint over rusty sheet metal so of course all the rust had come through. So I took it off, wire brushed it real good, cleaned it down real good with some tsp. Used 2 coats or eastwood rust inhibitor and then shot it with a gloss black appliance paint (might go back over in a satin black.) Got that back on and can mount back up my winch on my next day off with the remote mounted solenoid. Also started working on the rear facing 3rd row seat. Picked up a rear TJ seat from craigslist, seatbelts and some universal seat brackets from Summit. Is going to take a little more work but going to be awesome for fitting the whole family and friends -seat belts for 8. Plus 4 bolts and I can take it out. On top of that I still need to fix my headlight and install some new windshield wipers. Then I should be ready for the fall ride! Looking forward to it and the girls are super stoked to go wheeling and camping.

Last edited by surfwagoneer on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

The wife is getting into the spirit too. She made these today

A shirt for one of the girls

And a koozie

DeepAboveSurface

Post by DeepAboveSurface »

Sweet ride... I love how you tucked the winch nice and close to the frame. Great job!

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Looking really good Matt, i might have to get you to make me a template of your front bumper mounts.