Project WT Waggy - Part 3 - Heart Transplant

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

fulsizjeep

Re: Project WT Waggy - Part 3 - Heart Transplant

Post by fulsizjeep »

Congrats Scott! Long time coming eh?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Man 'bout darn time..... I've been getting the shakes. Thanks for the update you still have time for the trip.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Made A LOT of progress the last two days.

Cleaned up the wiring more, installed the dakota dash. Put in all the fluids and was able to run the engine up to operating temp. Even went so far as to move the jeep under its own power back and forth in the driveway. I was also able to modify a stock fan shroud to fit on the radiator.

Had a couple of small setbacks yesterday. When I filled the radiator with coolant it was coming straight out of the weep hole on the water pump so I replaced it. Also found a small leak at one of the steam port tubes and fixed it as well.

All in all I am happy with the progress. Once my inners are finished being painted I can permanently mount the battery and finish running the core support harness. Next up I will be taking it over to the exhaust shop!

Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

I did have a quick question for everyone on the vacuum for the heater flap. Its been awhile since I ripped everything out and I forget which port needs vacuum. Also, since I dont have the stock cruise control so do I still need the vacuum ball or can I just run vacuum straight to the port on the firewall from the intake manifold?

Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

srobertsfsj wrote:I did have a quick question for everyone on the vacuum for the heater flap. Its been awhile since I ripped everything out and I forget which port needs vacuum. Also, since I dont have the stock cruise control so do I still need the vacuum ball or can I just run vacuum straight to the port on the firewall from the intake manifold?

You still want a vacuum reservoir. Otherwise the flapper will move when vacuum drops off. The reservoir acts as a buffer to prevent this.

The heater/defrost flapper needs vacuum going to the center port on the back of the gauge cluster. Pretty sure it's center anyway. Then top and bottom go to heater side or defroster side. Not sure how much that changed through the years though.

Found an image, middle one should be heat, the one on its own is the source line.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Thanks Stuka, yeah that is definitely a pre-GW diagram. Doesnt look like mine at all. Does anyone know which side of the vacuum ball goes to manifold vacuum, top (larger port) or bottom (smaller port)?
Scott R.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

srobertsfsj wrote:Thanks Stuka, yeah that is definitely a pre-GW diagram. Doesnt look like mine at all. Does anyone know which side of the vacuum ball goes to manifold vacuum, top (larger port) or bottom (smaller port)?
For the vacuum reservoir I am not sure it matters. There may be a one way valve on one side. Should be able to tell by sticking a vacuum line on one side (nothing on the other side) and sucking. Do the same on the other one. My guess is you will have no restrictions on either side. But if you do, side with restriction goes to the engine.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

The top larger port is manifold, the lower small one goes inside. It should suck more then its using. ;)

Awesome progress... :-bd :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

great progress! cant wait to see it
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Its done!! W00t

The last couple of weeks have been busy. Here is a list of what has been done:

-Inner fenders modified for battery, painted and installed
-Exhaust installed
-ECM mounted
-Wiring finished and dressed
-Removed A/C system
-Dakota Digital dash installed and all gauges hooked up and calibrated (except speedo)
-Universal overflow tank installed
-stock wiper fluid tank installed
-Tranny lines cut and routed properly
-Fuel tank finished and mounted (no leaks!)
-Oil changed since engine has been sitting for awhile
-Lots of misc. clean up

Whats left:

-Fix transfer case leak
-Front fenders and grille
-Rock sliders
-Seal all the firewall holes
-Install carpet
-misc. cleanup

I went for a little test drive today and everything seems to be working properly. The tranny shifts great and the temp held steady. Filled up the gas tank, no leaks and no vapor smell. I couldn't be more excited. The only little nagging issue I have right now is that power steering pump shaft bearing has a little squeak to it. I may replace it. But regardless the power is incredible and starting is instant. My plan is to drive it to work for the next few weeks and if it does well I will run some close by trails to shake it out before Ouray!

Pics below:

Scott R.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Dude, you only got a month. Get on with it.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Looks awesome!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

So far its running great, no overheating, got a ton of power, it just flies off the line. I dont think the tranny is shifting into overdrive so I need to figure that out but its still drivable

I have a slight vibration at speed when I let off of the gas but I am thinking its a u-joint.
Scott R.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Finally got all my web hosted pic links back up again after 8 months down. Let me know if you find any broken ones!
Scott R.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Stuka wrote:
srobertsfsj wrote:I did have a quick question for everyone on the vacuum for the heater flap. Its been awhile since I ripped everything out and I forget which port needs vacuum. Also, since I dont have the stock cruise control so do I still need the vacuum ball or can I just run vacuum straight to the port on the firewall from the intake manifold?

You still want a vacuum reservoir. Otherwise the flapper will move when vacuum drops off. The reservoir acts as a buffer to prevent this.

The heater/defrost flapper needs vacuum going to the center port on the back of the gauge cluster. Pretty sure it's center anyway. Then top and bottom go to heater side or defroster side. Not sure how much that changed through the years though.

Found an image, middle one should be heat, the one on its own is the source line.

jaber wrote:The top larger port is manifold, the lower small one goes inside. It should suck more then its using. ;)

Awesome progress... :-bd :-bd

I want to thank both members who answered these questions. I now have functioning heat ducts on my 84! :-bd
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Good to hear :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ