ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ChrisHager

ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

Post by ChrisHager »

My father-in-law bought this 79 J-10 Honcho Levi Edition truck a handful of years ago in stock form. After working it over, he thought I'd like to have it and offered it to me for a price I couldn't pass up.

Here are the specs:

As said above, it's a 79 J-10 Honcho Levi Edition w/ 53,000 miles (we think original miles)
360 with a 2 barrel carb
T-18A transmission (6.32:1 granny low)
D20 transfer case
D44 front and rear axles - rear with the factory posi
3" Rough Country lift (spring lift)
Summit brand 'Big Dawg' tires - 33x12.5x15 mounted on Micky Thompson Classic II's (15x10)

And as we all know, these threads are useless without pictures!

Right after I picked it up. You can see my WJ in the background.

A lucky picture we were able to get on the drive back up.

Pulled it right in the garage when we got home. It fits well!

Shined it up the next morning.

Quick fishing trip

Odometer hitting 53,000 (sorry for the crappy quality)

Hopefully within the next few weeks, we will be installing the Edelbrock intake manifold, D.U.I. distributor, and Holley 600cfm carb. The interior is in pretty good shape as well but it'll get newly covered seats, new carpet, etc. as the build goes on. Many pictures will follow!
Last edited by ChrisHager on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue beast j10

Re: ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread

Post by blue beast j10 »

nice truck, what color blue is that?
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

Thanks! The blue is the Luxo/Lemans Blue which is a GM color. My father-in-law tried to match the factory blue but it came out a bit darker. Personally, I like the darker blue better!

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

thanks, shopping for colors for my j10, as long as its blue was thinking crater lake blue if I can someone that can make that color and it wont be $1000. a quart

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Nice truck!
Robert

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Subscribed to watch... :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

I have a lot of things I'm throwing around in my head on where to start with the truck. I figured I'd post my more immediate list here mainly to keep everything straight. Part of the priority right now is to have it winter ready. If anyone has any suggestions on what I've picked out/plan to do, please feel free to chime in! I know my way around vehicles quite well but I've never had a truck this old before!

I'll start off by saying I probably missed something in this list and may edit something else in. Anyway, here we go!

1. First off, ALL fluids need changed (minus maybe one). That will be a nice Saturday morning project! I'll put on the new differential covers as well when I do this.

1.5. [Edited In:] I've found I need a new Power Brake Booster and Master Cylinder so obviously, that goes to the top of the list!

2. I need to install the plugs, wires, distributor, intake manifold, and carb soon to get her purring.

3. Next, I think I'm going to have the mud tires siped to aid in traction this winter. I know mud tires can do pretty well in deep snow but I have also heard they don't excel in packed snow/ice.

4. Following that, I'll probably install the twin stick that's laying on the work bench. It could be handy in snow!

5. I NEED to install a hitch on the truck, especially since I'm going to use this to haul wood on my little trailer. I found BJ's Off-Road sells a new hitch with hardware included for $325 shipped. That doesn't seem too bad! http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1098.htm

6. The next step would probably be installing all the new window and door seals that are also laying on the work bench.

7. [Edited In:] I want to put in some bed liner to protect the bed. I'm actually considering cheap rattle can bed liner. I've used the roll on stuff before and wasn't too fond of the outcome. A friend of mine used rattle can bed liner and wow did that look good. It's easy to touch up as well!

These last four aren't quite as necessary as the above projects but they're something I want to do sooner than later - not necessarily in this order either.

8. The carpet is stained and has a rip or two in it so that will need replaced. I considered getting a vinyl kit as that will stay clean better but also like the idea of using carpet. Does anyone have any preference or reasons to go one way or another? Just curious.

9. Same as the carpet, the seats are worn out and torn. They currently have covers on them so that helps but I believe as the holiday season nears, I'm going to have my Mom reupholster the seats. As stated above, fabric or vinyl? I think I know which way I'm going for both the flooring and seat but I'm curious if someone has good reasons for one option over the other.

10. Exhaust - I was thinking 3" to a dual out muffler but I honestly haven't committed to anything yet. In fact, I don't even know what muffler I want or where I'd want the exhaust to dump. I want a 'muscle' type sound without it being too loud. I've never been a fan of obnoxiously loud exhaust. I'm not terribly concerned about a little drone in the cab though.

11. [Edited In:] CB and Antenna

Anyway, that's what I initially have planned!
Last edited by ChrisHager on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

msh227

Post by msh227 »

Nice truck, very clean looking! How does the underside look, was the frame cleaned when it was painted?

For what it is worth, I was running a Magnaflow muffler dual in dual out (forget the model number) with my 360 before I started my 5.3L swap and it had a nice sound. I didn't think it was overly obnoxious, ran 3" pipe had a nice deep grumble, I was happy with it.
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

I haven't poked around a ton yet underneath but from a glance or two, the frame looks excellent. I think the truck was gone over head to tow when it was painted.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Magnaflow! I'm interested in that idea as well - dual in/dual out as opposed to single in.

msh227

Post by msh227 »

It worked well with my truck, you only have one muffler not two and I was able to route the exhaust around my 25 gallon Ford Bronco tank I installed.

Good luck with the truck. Look forward to additional pictures and updates.
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

I snapped a few more pictures, some of which aren't the best quality. I can get better pictures in daylight this weekend if need be. If anyone wants more of anything in particular, feel free to ask!

Interior - Dash is still in great shape (one reason we think the 53k miles are original).

Shifters and a shot of the carpet. There is a pretty large rip around the transfer case shifter.

Pedal covers are still in great shape (another reason we think the 53k miles are original).

Driver side door panel. I have the window crank though it isn't attached at the moment. I am, however, missing the trim around the arm rest/hand pull.

Passenger side is in better shape.

Headliner and visors are still in great shape.

Gas tank skid? and rear axle.

Cross member, frame, exhaust, etc. I need to see if the exhaust has random rust spots or if something is leaking and splattering causing the weird color pattern. I also need to get under the truck and see if it's just the angle or if the exhaust is really that close to the front driveshaft.

Driveshaft and under body.

Front frame condition.

Engine:

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

This weekend it looks like we're going to install:

D.U.I. Distributor, Plugs, and Wires
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Holley 4160 Carburetor

Pictures of my goodies:

I've been doing some research trying to figure out what I need...

I think I already have everything I need for the ignition.

As for the intake manifold, I am ordering a Fel-Pro gasket and I *think* I need to order Bracket #8034 which is the Throttle Cable Adapter. Comparing the picture above the picture below, I don't think the black bracket on the intake manifold is going to work.

Also, should I buy the manifold bolt kit for the intake manifold? It's only around $20.

My FIL was talking about removing the valve covers for this installation. Eventually, I'm going to buy some 'fancy' valve covers and realize now that the valve covers don't need removed for the installation of the intake manifold and carburetor. I could save a few bucks on gaskets and what not by leaving the valve covers alone until I'm ready to replace them. Thoughts on this?

Next up, do I need to look into a spacer for the carb? For now, I'm going to reuse the air cleaner but will be replacing it quite soon.

Am I missing anything that stands out to anyone? I appreciate the help!

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

IMO I would spray bed line the floors or use some kind of sealer before putting down carpet or vinyl, and I just did a intake switch on my 79' j10 w/360 did not remove valve covers although it would have been a lot easier with a extra pair of hands, the stock intake is about 60lbs. the rest of your list sounds good but I am not a mechanic so just my 2cents. and please do keep us informed of your progress with how thins work out and LOTS more pics of that beautiful truck I will be following in great anticipation. :-bd :fsj:

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

I thought about spraying the floor first before covering. It seems like a smart idea to protect against rust!

I'm planning on taking everything off Friday night and installing everything on Saturday. I always try to get a bunch of pictures of the removal/installation process. I know this weekend I'll have people stopping by which may reduce the amount of pictures.

I'll keep this thread updated as everything progresses!

Also, I ended up ordering:

Edelbrock #8034 Throttle Cable Adapter
Edelbrock #8534 Intake Manifold Bolt Kit
Mr. Gasket #3404 1" 4 Hole Center Phenolic Carburetor Spacer

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up the Fel-Pro #MS96011 Intake Manifold Gasket from O'Reilly Auto. I'm still debating on grabbing some Valve Cover Gaskets.

I'm also going to grab some oil and a new filter. I don't know the last time it was changed. I'm a huge fan of Rotella T5 10W-30 which I use in my 4.0L Grand Cherokee and 2.5L Wrangler. I'm thinking of going with this again as it has higher amounts of ZDDP which is good for flat tappet engines and a stronger cleaning agent which I'm sure would be helpful. It's also a synthetic blend. That oil paired with a Wix oil filter should treat the 360 well. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to chime in!

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

I would ask if you could post some more detailed pics of your headliner? I have nothing to work with and could use some visual help on creating one of my own. thanks in advance.

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

Sure thing! I'll try to get some soon.

pyro

Post by pyro »

very nice truck! that blue looks really good on there.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

pyro wrote:very nice truck! that blue looks really good on there.
Thanks!
blue beast j10 wrote:I would ask if you could post some more detailed pics of your headliner? I have nothing to work with and could use some visual help on creating one of my own. thanks in advance.
Here are a handful more of the headliner. Do you want anything in specific? Measurements? Let me know - I'll be in the garage all evening!

Driver Side Front Corner

Driver Side Rear Corner

Rear Light

Center Visor Clip (Mine is broken. :()

Passenger Side

Passenger Visor

Full Headliner

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

thank you those that will help a lot, I might need some measuring later but it looks like I need to find some trim pieces to hold it all together first and something to make the backer board out of, does look like it will not be to hard to do though. :-bd

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

Well, we have most of the project finished. As typical, I snapped a bunch of pictures and will post most of them. If they're a little redundant, my apologies. I like pictures in case I miss something or need them for future reference. Perhaps they'll help others with random issues as well!

Here's the engine in its original form - 360 with the stock 2 barrel carb, or so we think. I bought this from my father-in-law. Saturday, he informed me the person he bought it from apparently replaced the engine and told him that it was a 401. I crawled under the engine and identified the 360 stamp. I'm assuming the guy didn't know what he was talking about when he sold it to my FIL. Either that or they bored/stroked the 360 to a 401. We will never know. :)

I started by removing the new grill so I didn't scratch it up while leaning into the engine bay. For reference, there are 10 screws that hold on the grill. Sorry for the poor quality.

Stock air cleaner removed and various pictures of the engine/vacuum lines/carb connections:

Carb removed:

Spacer and coolant hose removed as well as some more angles of various lines/hoses/connections:

Brake booster vacuum line:

Intake manifold removed. As you can see, it looked pretty clean minus the red RTV.

Cleaned up:

Spark plugs were in good shape. I believe my FIL replaced them when he bought the truck so they're fairly new.

Test fitting everything:

Final cleaning before the install:

We installed the Lifter Valley Heat Shield to the Performer intake manifold as instructed by Edelbrock using #8 x 3/8" self tapping drive screws. This heat shield has to be removed from the stock intake manifold by drilling out 6 rivets. Here are the instructions for the Performer intake manifold: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... 0/3731.pdf

Gasket installed and gooped up. I used RTV instead of the rubber gaskets for the front and rear.

Intake manifold and carburetor studs installed:

That's all the pictures I have so far. The carburetor is sitting on top as it appears in the test fit. We stopped at this point because I need to collect more parts including:

Carburetor Throttle Ball Assortment: http://www.holley.com/20-2.asp
PCV Valve Grommet: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0417221013
PCV Valve
Vacuum Hose

I think that's everything I need. I expect to have it running this weekend as long as we don't run into any more issues.