1977 Wagoneer "FrankenJeep"

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

jpswapmohn

Re: 1977 Wagoneer "FrankenJeep"

Post by jpswapmohn »

Cool, thanks!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Well, if all goes well tomorrow it'll be all in black epoxy primer tomorrow. Just have to finish sanding the ribs in the roof and the fender and rocker lips, clean everything up, and spray. Then it goes on the frame and bodywork starts.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Well it's finally in epoxy. What a pain painting the underneath is. Glad that's done. Some of the pictures are fuzzy, it was pretty hazy in there.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Started bodywork today.

Fitting passenger side tail light. That quarter had been hit plus I replaced the quarter, luckily the housing fit perfectly.

Filler laid out on most of the spots on the roof.

Passenger side rocker panel roughed in.

Current status of the passenger side.

Filler laid out on the drivers side.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Update from yesterday's work.

Progress on the quarter panels.

Formerly crushed in cowl area completed.

Drivers side rocker panel nearly done.

Last skim coat on the passenger side.

Rear door jambs nearly completed. Seams welded and smoothed.

Roof completed.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Hopefully this will fix the fuel filling issues that I had before. Big 'ol vent hose and a high flow tipover valve.

Also changed the tailhousing, set up speedometer drive so I'll have a speedometer now, and cleaned up the chassis. I marked off distances and took these pictures and recorded them. When the Jeep's done I'll take the same pictures and layer them with the transparency turned down to "ghost" the chassis/drivetrain into the picture. Should be neat.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Also put on the transmission blanket.

And set the body on the frame! The chassis is wrapped in a tarp to keep it clean while the last of the body work and paint is done. I'll cut it off when I'm ready.

husker77

Post by husker77 »

This thing is awesome!

I do have one question, why did you not go to an independent from suspension? Maybe even link the back? I would assume you could drop your e.ts with a more tune able suspension more suited to what you are using it for.

I do think it is sweet just curious on your thought process, like to know what guys are thinking on builds also.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

With the turbo so far away, do you think "Lag" will be an issue? That's a lot of exhaust and intake pipe to fill

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

husker77 wrote:This thing is awesome!

I do have one question, why did you not go to an independent from suspension? Maybe even link the back? I would assume you could drop your e.ts with a more tune able suspension more suited to what you are using it for.

I do think it is sweet just curious on your thought process, like to know what guys are thinking on builds also.
Good question. I can't really put my finger on it, the stock style suspension just does it for me. I like the way it drives/rides and just the general character of the vehicle. Plus I've already got all the parts from the other Jeep, just bolt on and go. The factory suspension works very well for drag racing actually. The only thing is that it's a little scary on the top end but I'll mostly be racing 1/8 mile now so it's not a big deal anymore. So short answer is "just because" haha.

rocklaurence wrote:With the turbo so far away, do you think "Lag" will be an issue? That's a lot of exhaust and intake pipe to fill
Lag is not an issue at all. The whole setup has already been set up and run on the old black Wagoneer. The motor is actually pretty big for the exhaust housing on the turbo. And there really isn't that much piping compared to a car with a front mount intercooler or an air to water in the driver's compartment. It built target boost pretty quick just driving around and also on the transbrake. I had my doubts at first but I was pleasantly surprised.

husker77

Post by husker77 »

ghinmi wrote: So short answer is "just because" haha.
Good answer.

A lot of guys are running those rear mount turbos.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

I would classify this as more of a "mid mount" turbo I guess. The real beauty of the system is how easy everything is to work on. Just like working on a stock Jeep (with all the unnecessary parts removed) under the hood. Don't need to mess with any exhaust to drop the trans. Disconnect a couple fittings and the whole crossmember with turbo drops down. All the hot side piping is v-banded so it's super easy to take apart. Only thing that's going to make it a pain to work on is the air conditioning that I'm going to re-install. Planning on moving to a place where a/c is mandatory. :D I'm done with winter.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Well... late night, but I got the last layer of epoxy primer on last night. Going to fix a few imperfections tonight then spray on a couple coats of 2k primer.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Well, it changed colors again.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

And... blocking primer.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

And... more blocking. Still have rocker panels and some of the door jambs left to do.

The tarp is working beautifully.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Getting close to paint. Did the seam sealer last night. There isn't enough beer in Middleville to replicate the factory application so I just did a nice job instead. I intend to clean, re-mask, and spray the final sealer coat of reduced epoxy tonight, then scuff and paint the roof and interior tomorrow and the rest of the exterior on Friday.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Tires back on so I can roll it outside and blow off all the primer dust.

And the last coat of reduced epoxy primer to seal it all up. Little bit of wet sanding and I hope to have the roof and interior painted tonight.

Jjkage84

Post by Jjkage84 »

Freaking awesome! I will do this one day!

Keep Calm and Jeep On
Keep Calm and Jeep On!

http://www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Most awesome! What's your shop's exhaust situation like? I've never sprayed anything more than primer and that was at a friend's place. When I do mine, it will be in my home garage so I'm thinking ahead about air quality both for me and the paint. I'm comfortable using a respirator but don't have anything more than an exhaust fan to circulate the air in the garage.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.