1977 Wagoneer "FrankenJeep"

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ghinmi

Re: 1977 Wagoneer "FrankenJeep"

Post by ghinmi »

Exhaust, what's exhaust? It gets real cloudy in there. Not ideal and probably a bad idea but it's what I have.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I hear ya.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Roof and interior painted. The rest of the body gets done today.

letank

Post by letank »

Picking up this late, sorry about the fire... what a bummer, but at least you are getting back, some of our friends just store the remnants in a storage...

Thanks for the detailled posts.

What type of cutting tool are you using to shear the damage body panels. Albeit it seems better to get a good roller and swap bodies.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Got the rest of the body painted today. What a relief to have that over with. Will let it cure for a while and then wet sand and buff, there's some spots that need a little attention.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Well, didn't get much done tonight but did get the old Jeep down to the shop and started assessing the situation. Took some pictures of the two of them together. Kind of like the organ donor and recipient laying on two tables in the same room lol.

Got real lucky on the firewall wiring harness connector. I had thought it was a lost cause because of how terrible it looked. A little bit of cutting/breaking and I was finally able to get to the bolt and unhook it. Interior connector is fine! Happy day! Saves me having to swap the harness.

Then got under the dash and started disconnecting stuff so that I can pull it and swap into the new Jeep.

husker77

Post by husker77 »

ghinmi wrote:
Then got under the dash and started disconnecting stuff so that I can pull it and swap into the new Jeep.
Oh, that looks like fun. :P

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Is the big red box hanging down an ignition box? And so, so, so many seams to seal...wow.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Yep, it's an MSD 6AL-2 box. Also have a BTM (boost timing retard) box and an AMS 1000 boost controller to wire in. And the seams - the seams - Ahhhhhhh!!!!

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Found the key for the tailgate window on the old Jeep. Been years and years since this thing has been opened. The new one will either be getting a power window or OEM manual unit instead of the junky crown one. Going to be cool to be able to use the tailgate on the new Wagoneer!

Dash removed

Dash that's donating it's wiring harness.

Window wiper stuff and some of the under dash components cleaned up and installed.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Got the harness swapped over and the dash is in. Still a bunch of little things to be hooked up under there but at least it looks like I've done something. Ordered a new heater core and master cylinder today as well.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Got the heater box all done up, new heater core, etc. Also did the brake booster and some other little stuff. Going to be using a master cylinder from a 2009 chevy 2500 pickup truck.

Did a little more in the interior. Almost done laying down the sound deadener.

And started sanding on the quarter panels.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

The majority of the interior wiring and dash components are in. Good feeling to see that come together.

Also got this little guy installed. I'm super proud of it, this is one of the small details that really make the truck to me.

husker77

Post by husker77 »

Is the interior going to be blue? I see the engine has blue accents, so I assume yes. Why you sanding the quarter? Wet sanding?

You get more done in a day then I have in the year I have owned my cherokee.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

The interior is going to be the same two tone blue/black that my '76 was. Originally was all blue but I changed the carpet, lower door panels, and seats to black. Ties it into the black exterior a lot better. The engine is a different color blue that AMC used on the earlier engines and I like the way it looks. But it does tie in nicely with the interior.

And yep, wet sanding the quarter. Starting with 1200, will work my way down to 2500 or 3000 then buff.

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Dropped the carb off to Horsepower Innovations to be gone through and upgraded again. It'll be one different looking Holley when it comes back.

Got the sound and heat insulation put on the roof. One layer of the sound deadening material that I put on the floor, one layer of reflective foil backed bubble wrap. Night and day difference when you tap on the roof.

Carpet, seats, etc installed.

Front section of the headliner installed. Waiting to put the back section in until I've got the spoiler mounted and reinforced.

Atla

Post by Atla »

This looks awesome!

You work fast.
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Wow, that looks good!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
ghinmi

Post by ghinmi »

Atla wrote:This looks awesome!

You work fast.
Haha, my father stops in every now and again and gives me crap for working too slow! He'd have it done by now if it was his lol.

My phone camera has been out of commission for a while but I finally got it working again yesterday and forgot to take pictures. Got the rear spoiler reinforced and installed. Headliner is in and later model center bow retrofitted. Much better than the factory chrome one. Also been working on misc small stuff like the cruise control, shifter, etc.

Did take this video of the modified column shifter. Took a bit to get everything hooked up because of the way I repositioned the engine/trans. And a bit of doing to make positive and consistent shifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArbaGmvWZf8

bgott

Post by bgott »

Love what you've done with this Jeep! The turbo setup is wicked looking to me. Probably one of very few with a turbo charged FSJ!