YAGS - Yet Another GM Swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
nester

Re: YAGS - Yet Another GM Swap

Post by nester »

The 360 / 727 and 229 are gone!

Trying to get my 4L60 and 5.3 mated.. I've only got one locator dowel in the engine, none in the transmission. I should have two, I assume. Is this something I have to have?
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSX351izk20

So that happened. If you full screen, you can see the Jeep lift up.. Doesn't seem to have left a mark, or done any damage.

This was not quite as scary as when I unbolted the front axle of my samurai and it did a wheelie on the jackstands.

Anyway, I spent all freaking day running errands and whatnot, but I also spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get the trans and the engine mated up. Finally, as I was quitting, I realized that the torque converter wasn't all the way seated, that the 2nd clunk I heard and felt wasn't the pump gear engaging... Oh well. So I doubt I'll get anything done tomm, because my wife has plans for me, but I'm hoping to squeak some late afternoon time in and maybe get the engine in the truck.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

lobie

Post by lobie »

nester wrote:
Trying to get my 4L60 and 5.3 mated.. I've only got one locator dowel in the engine, none in the transmission. I should have two, I assume. Is this something I have to have?
I'm out of commission so can't look at my 60e. My th400 has 2. It could have fell out. Is ther a spot on the tranny for 2. It'll be like a bolt hole with a bigger countersunk hole.
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

There is. I went ahead and mated it without.

It seems to lined up perfect. I haven't bolted the tc to the flex plate yet, hopefully later today.

Problem I'm having is that the lower cooler fitting seems to not want to thread in by hand and its the trans not the fitting. I'm not sure where to get a NPS thread chaser

Going to try and run a dental style pick along the threads and clean out any left over sealant etc.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

lobie

Post by lobie »

nester wrote: Going to try and run a dental style pick along the threads and clean out any left over sealant etc.
Don't tell the wife :D
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

lobie wrote:
nester wrote: Going to try and run a dental style pick along the threads and clean out any left over sealant etc.
Don't tell the wife :D
LOL. Never! I actually went and bought a pick set at Autozone, and what do you know, that actually worked. The fittings fit perfect now. Of course, as I type this, I remember that I didn't teflon them. Oh well, we'll put that on the to-do list.

Anyway... the engine and trans are in! I'm still having issues lining the passenger side motor mount up, but it's at least sitting in the truck. Friday night, I had a guy come pick up the engine/trans/tc from the jeep. I got a pretty nice rifle in exchange and a bunch of ammo for it. Seemed like a better deal than selling it for scrap metal. The guy is supposedly trying to swap the 360 into a Comanche. Best of luck to him. :D

In any event, here's a couple pictures.

Fittings

The engine doesn't look quite so dirty until you put a clean trans on it..

Yeah, we'll get to that. I went ahead and sprayed all the screws down with PBlaster, and have a new core just due to how nasty the coolant was coming out of the 360.

OSHA approved support strap

Here's the motor mount pics. I sent these to JeepinPete. Anyone feel free to chime in on what I'm doing wrong. :)

Here's where I left it for tonight..

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I left my JeepNPete mounts loose until I got everything aligned. I had the two bolts on the Jeep horns loose, the center bolt on the motor mounts loose and set the drivers side first. The passengers side was a little trickier, but with a little jostling I was able to get the bolts started into the block before I sat the motor down, That way I had a little extra play in the bolts that go into the horns. Once the bolts were started into the block, it sat down pretty easily on the horn and I was able to tighten everything up. I did it by myself, so it can be done. Good luck.
Robert

lobie

Post by lobie »

Road Trip wrote:I left my JeepNPete mounts loose until I got everything aligned.
X2. Use the engine hoise to lift it a little. See if you can bolt it loose. And tweak.
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Pete is sending me some different plates. We're going to try that.

Spent tonight organizing my sockets. There's a lot of overlap. Pulled the valve cover on the passenger side to remove some plastic from my dumbass breaking the oil filler tube. Tried to get the heater box loose, just read that I have to get there from behind the A/C inside the truck. Maybe tomorrow.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

I left my mounts attached together, then dropped them in like that. Because of the V-effect, I had to "snap" them into place with a prybar, but once seated, everything looks great.

Bill

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Nearly 6 months later, I'm still sitting at the same place. Honestly.

I pulled the wiring harness out of the back of the jeep and laid it out on the patio table and stared at it. *sigh* One day. I'm still not sure what to do with some of the wires, if they're important or not, etc.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Jeffsj

Post by Jeffsj »

The wiring is a very daunting and nerve wracking process for sure. Sorry to hear things aren't moving along for you the way you'd like. Don't give up though. It is a VERY worthwhile project. Are you using LT1 Swap for your wiring info?
Jeff

Beast : 1979 Cherokee Chief
Engine : 2003 GMC 5.3 liter Vortec
Trans. : 2002 4L60e / Transfer Case : 1989 NP241C with Slip-yoke eliminator
Lift : 4" / Tires : 33/12.50./15 BFG KM2's
Dakota Digital dashboard cluster

My 5.3 swap thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM
Tad's SOA/Shackle Flip installation: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3347

msh227

Post by msh227 »

I know that feeling of slow progress. Keep with it, it will get finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Jeffsj wrote:The wiring is a very daunting and nerve wracking process for sure. Sorry to hear things aren't moving along for you the way you'd like. Don't give up though. It is a VERY worthwhile project. Are you using LT1 Swap for your wiring info?

Yeah, lt1swap. There's just enough info there that I'm 90 percent done. I just have the 03 up harness, and there's some wires that I'm not sure what to do with. Wires from the neutral safety switch, etc.

I'm sure I'll figure it out.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Has it really been that long. Geeeeeez.

Jeep still in the same place as last time. I am actually thinking about just pulling the trigger on buying a pre-made harness from somewhere like psiconversion or spear tech. Anyone have any experience with either?

My son asked this morning when I was going to fix the jeep so he could ride in it.. He's still holding onto hope!
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

nester wrote:Has it really been that long. Geeeeeez.

Jeep still in the same place as last time. I am actually thinking about just pulling the trigger on buying a pre-made harness from somewhere like psiconversion or spear tech. Anyone have any experience with either?

My son asked this morning when I was going to fix the jeep so he could ride in it.. He's still holding onto hope!
I have experience with both.

PSI: Good guy, very helpful. Harness is well made.

Speartech: Good guy, very helpful. Harness is well made.

Between the two, Speartech is the more capable. He can make use of more of the GM ECM and TCM (e.g. Speartech can activate the displacement on demand, while (at least when I got my harness) PSI cannot.

I would recommend either, though if I were to do my swap over again, I would go with Speartech.

lurch1980

Post by lurch1980 »

So this is a pretty old thread, but have you finished or made some more progress?

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

The only thing that's changed is that I did buy a premade harness from PSI Conversion. I haven't actually done anything, but I'm planning to start working on it soon. Life has finally started to clear up a little bit... It's been a wild last 2 years.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

lurch1980

Post by lurch1980 »

I know what you mean, life can get crazy and things slow way the heck down.

I hope you get back to making progress soon and keep us informed.

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

So I've started making a little progress. I've cleaned out the inside of the jeep and started getting ready to drop the AC so I can get the heater box loose.

What are the majority of people doing to repair the heater box? I'm considering using some aluminum roof flashing with some sealant and then rivets to hold in place. Should work, but I assume that box is going to continue to get more and more brittle with time.

Ordered new exhaust manifold bolts, already had the gaskets. Originally I had purchased some long tube headers, but they wouldn't clear the frame rail and steering shaft on the driver side. When the junkyard pulled the engine, they cut the factory exhaust crossover at the manifold flange, leaving the flange bolted to the manifold. After a week of soaking with PB blaster, I was able to get those nuts off. One stud is slightly bent, I went ahead and soaked the other end, if I need to get it loose and replace it.

Also for those of you with drive by wire, where did you mount the pedal box? I need to mount it and the dakota dash control box somewhere, but I'm kind of drawing a blank.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost