YAGS - Yet Another GM Swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
nester

Re: YAGS - Yet Another GM Swap

Post by nester »

Rolling the dice... rolling the dice.

I went ahead and bought the $52 pump module and assembly off eBay. It's got a one year warranty, the seller has 49,000 positive feedback.. and it doesn't look like dropping this tank later is going to be that big of a deal. Also bought the corvette filter. Both should be here later this week.

Today I'm going to try and arrange the harness and get it taped up.. I removed the factory motor mounts. I got one of the JeepinPete mounts installed, but the other just won't quite line up. I need a carbide grinding bit to enlarge the holes.

Still need a transfer case..
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

And just like that, I found a transfer case from someone on my local jeep owners club page.

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

The early 90's TBI only ran 9-13psi. Not near enough. Use a pump out of a 96 1/2-ton truck with a 5.7 R motor and you'll be good to go. I'm buying an early 90s 2-door blazer tank and sending unit from O'Reilly's and a 96 GM 5.7R motor fuel pump. The pumps are externally the same, just different pressures.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

I bought a shady ebay 97 blazer pump. roll the dice.. roll the dice. might be a airtex in a different box.. might not.

BJ's sent me an email, my dakota dash is on backorder.. No way I will get that by this weekend. Oh well. I'm still pretty far behind. I put in a thermostat tonight, just so I'd feel like I accomplished something.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

I'm going with the early 90's tank to take the metal style sender for a couple reasons, mostly cost. It' cheaper to replace just the pump motor than the entire module, and later down the road if I want to get crazy I can just swap pumps out for a higher volume unit.
This is the sender style I'm going to use.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Yeah, good points on that.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

lobie

Post by lobie »

j20owner wrote:I'm going with the early 90's tank to take the metal style sender for a couple reasons, mostly cost. It' cheaper to replace just the pump motor than the entire module, and later down the road if I want to get crazy I can just swap pumps out for a higher volume unit.
This is the sender style I'm going to use.
Exact reason I went with the early 90's blazer tank.
I have a walbro 400 lph pump to put in. Easy mod.
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

I'm pretty sure with enough dremeling I could probably fit a walbro in there if need be. We used to wedge them into Toyota's when there was no drop in option.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Cross posted from LS1Tech.....

Hey folks,

I've been slowly working my way through a 2004 LM7 harness using LT1Swap as my main info source.. However, I might be missing something as I feel like I have some unaddressed wires.

I stripped all the stuff that he recommends taking out, but Ive got questions.

In the C2 connector, once I had all the pink wires out, I still had some wires from the range selector switch on the trans.. In a standalone configuration, does the PCM care about the range switch? I call it a Neutral Safety Switch.. but whatever. Do these wires need to be connected?

In addition, I still have these wires left from the C100 and C153 plugs. I believe the majority of the wires on the C100 are for cruise control. The C153 wires, I'm not sure of, but I am using a 4wd transfer case from a 94 silverado, and it does have VSS in the case.

I've read through LT1swap so many times that it's all starting to blur together, so if anyone could be so kind as to give me a sanity check on what I've got going on, I'd be very much humbled and thankful.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

msh227

Post by msh227 »

I have the exact same question about the range selector switch. I just walked away from my harness for the evening, enough pulling wire for one night.

Have you emailed Brendan from LT1swap? He is good about answering questions. I plan on asking him a few in an email tomorrow.

Also if you haven't checked it out yet click on his facebook link on the lt1swap site. On his facebook page he has a 46 picture slide show that is laid out as a step by step tutorial. That is what I am using along with his main site and have had good success so far. You can view the pictures even if you don't have facebook his page is open to public.
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

I will check out the facebook site. I haven't emailed him, I hate to bother the guy, I can only imagine the volume of email he must get. I might, though, if I don't get it figured out. I thought about offering him some assistance with his site, if he needed it.. just to help organize things a little bit, but didn't want to offend... ;)
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

I think these might be a few of the wires I'm chasing right now..

I'll have to look tommorow.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

New bits!

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

and... so it begins..

1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Not as far along as I'd like to be, but it is what it is. I had a little motivation issue getting up and going today, so I got a late start..

But here's where I am...

Skid plate is made of a very fine brownish red dust.. The picture actually makes it look better than it did when I was laying in the middle of it...

The bolts holding the core support to the frame broke off. Well one did.. The other looks like it's ready. So I guess I need new bolts there and some new body mount rubber, because the old ones look pretty bad.

Engine is totally ready to come out. Trans still needs to be drained and unbolted.... Still need to pull the drive shafts. Still need to get the gas tank out. I realized that I don't have any idea how much gas is in there. Poor planning on my part.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

msh227

Post by msh227 »

Sweet... My swap has turned into an obsession, feels like it is the only thing on my mind these days.
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Yep! Me too.

I'm going to try and get at it earlier tomm, and make the most of these couple days I have off. Hopefully I can get the old drive train out tomm, and start working on getting the new mocked up.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

I left about a 1/3 of a tank of gas in.. Off to Autozone for a bigger gas can and a siphon pump. I never wanted to trust that fuel gauge, so I never let it get low. I should have idled it until it ran out of gas. Hindsight is always 20/20.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

COLORADOCRAWLER

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

Looks Good! Just finishing my swap. It's on the road now, still have to reinstall most of the interior and do a few more tidying up tasks under the hood, but it sounds and runs great. This swap dominated my existence for the past 4 months or so. I was trying to work on it every free minute and weekend when I wasn't working. It's awesome to get it done though and 100% worth every drop of blood spilled and knuckle busted to get it done. Good luck with your project :-bd

My engine sat for approx. 8 yrs and wouldn't start right away. Good spark and computer was working good, so found that ALL of the fuel injectors were clogged. Pulled those and cleaned them up and ran some injector cleaner through the 1st tank and it runs like a champ. Suprisingly after 8 years there was still a ton of rotten gas in the injector rails, so do yourself a favor and get an o-ring kit at a McParts store ($15) and pull the injectors and rails of and do some cleaning.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Cool. I did re oring the injectors and got all the old gas out. We'll see how it does.

I guess I just missed this long the way, but my np241c is slip yoke, and the np229 is not. Is everyone using the gm yoke?
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost