YAGS - Yet Another GM Swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

COLORADOCRAWLER

Re: YAGS - Yet Another GM Swap

Post by COLORADOCRAWLER »

For now I am using the Chevy slip yoke and had a shaft made that will work with the Jeep joint on one end and the Chevy on the other. I do plan on a slip yoke eliminator and CV after I lift it though. It's just a better setup if you break a rear shaft you can just pull it and drive out on the front. Going to switch the front NP241C yoke to one that will fit my OEM front CV shaft. Haven't gotten around to that one yet.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

msh227

Post by msh227 »

COLORADOCRAWLER wrote:Suprisingly after 8 years there was still a ton of rotten gas in the injector rails, so do yourself a favor and get an o-ring kit at a McParts store ($15) and pull the injectors and rails of and do some cleaning.

How long and difficult is this? My engine is in truck already.
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

There's a bunch of different ways to do this.. I've seen people energize the coil on the injector to hold it open, and then use a hand pump or some sort of vacuum to suck injector cleaner through the injector in reverse. The thought being that you're more likely to loosen bits by going back they way they came in..

Not sure how effective this is.. I did clean out the rail and put new o-rings in, but I'm going to take my chances, If they are bad, I'll send them off and have them professionally cleaned and balanced. They usually do ultrasonic cleaning and then check the spray patterns and give a full report, having all injectors with in I believe 3% of each other.

This is the place I used to use, when I worked in performance... http://www.deatschwerks.com/services/fu ... r-services
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

COLORADOCRAWLER

msh227 wrote:
COLORADOCRAWLER wrote:Suprisingly after 8 years there was still a ton of rotten gas in the injector rails, so do yourself a favor and get an o-ring kit at a McParts store ($15) and pull the injectors and rails of and do some cleaning.

How long and difficult is this? My engine is in truck already.
I did the whole thing in about 3 months working nights and weekends, but I missed several days of Jeep work due to supporting the flood relief efforts here in Colorado (I'm in the National Guard). I think I could have gotten it on the road (to the point where I am now) in about 2-3 weeks if this is all I was doing. I didn't start the project until I had 90% of the known parts I needed in hand though.
The fuel system took some time fabricating the tank mounts/straps and I did most of it all with the engine/tranny out of the way to make it easier and just left the engine hoses stumped out until the engine was in place before terminating them with fittings. Alot of my time was spent fabricating a new battery box on the passenger side fender and cleaning up and painting the engine bay. The Lokar floor shifter saved me a ton of time, I spent a day and a half trying to make the OEM column shifter linkage work, but it didn't feel right and there was just too much play in everything to work well so decided to hit the easy button and buy the lokar shifter (it's really well made and goes in easy). Went with the Lokar transmission dipstick for the same reason, it was just easier. Went with the Dakota Digital dash and transmission shift indicator module, again it was the easy button. Their stuff is really easy to hook up and programmable/adjustable for just about any setup. Used the same radiator setup that Capt. Smith used on this board and it worked great. Used a 2-speed electric fan out of a 97 thunderbird ($20 at the junkyard) and a relay/fuse setup from Hollister road ($100) specifically for Lincoln Mark VIII/Ford 2 speed fans. JeepnPete motor mounts work take the guess work out of things as well and just used the rear cross member mount holes for the tranny with the stock 4L60E mount. Used a 97 Suburban NP241C, got the complete floor shifter as well, didn't take much work to get that all in. Used a Junkyard OEM throttle cable (have a cable throttle body on mine) from a Tahoe, just needed to put a locking cable collar on it because the throw on the Jeep throttle pedal was shorter. Surprisingly the electrical wasn't too bad. The Jeep's underhood wiring is really simple to begin with and you only dealing with a few circuits from the new engine. I ended up with a crap ton of grounds between the Dakota Digital stuff and everything coming from inside the cab. I used terminal busses from early 90's GM pickups ($5 at the junkyard) for power distribution and grounds.
I think research is the key to this thing. Spent a couple of months reading every post I could find on swapping this setup into all makes and models as well as everything I could find on FSJs. Capt. Smith's build was among the best reads for information as well as lt1swap.com and ls1tech.com.
There are certainly ways to do this cheaper than I did, but time is money too. Not trying to hijack the thread, just throwing out a few things that I and others have done to make this swap go smoother.
-Rick
87' GW 5.3/4l60E/NP241C, Dakota Digital dash, high steer, 31's, still needs a bigfoot gas pedal to tie it all together.
90' YJ 3 link coils front, 4 link double triangulated coils rear, D44s, ARBs, 4.56, 35's

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

No hijack. I've asked for wisdom here, post away. I've mainly used CaptSmith and Jeff's thread as my go to sources for info, as well as JeepinPete's threads on IFSJA. His threads, unfortunately, don't have all of the pictures available any longer.

That said, if anyone needs permanent storage or web hosting for Jeep related projects that might be for the better good of the community, let me know. I have both space and bandwidth.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

COLORADOCRAWLER

I'll do a build thread with pics and an excel spreadsheet of costs soon. I copied what many others have done so I figure my only real contribution to the community can be a detailed list of expenses. The spreadsheet really helped me keep track of order status on parts as well as where I was at in the build. Kind of works like a punch list and if you print it off you can take it to the junkyard when you are looking for salvage parts so you make fewer trips. Don't know exactly how to post a file on here instead of just pics, but surely someone can help me figure that animal out. I still have to finish working a few things out including reinstalling the interior and dash. Jeep work has to come before web work :D . My build was like one of those build off TV shows because I have a deadline to get this thing road ready for a 2000 mile road trip over Thanksgiving. Had to sell my wife's Acura MDX due to financial constraints and the Waggy is now the only vehicle I have that is big enough to transport my whole family and dog in. I am praying that she fares well on the trip and am 98% confident that I'll get the rest of the necessary work done between now and weekend after next.
-Rick

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Yeah, I am keeping a tally too. I have mine in a google doc. The only thing I'm not counting is tools that I bought. I will post it up as I get closer.

That said, finally got the gas tank out. Only took two days of messing about. Honestly, yesterday was such a frustration, all over not having a deep well socket in the correct drive size... So I just gave up and went and spent money on a tool box. I've never had a proper toolbox, and I've lost more tools over the years that I care to admit.

So I went down to Sears and bought myself a proper one, and it makes me very happy to no longer be working out of buckets and tool bags and such. Will free up a lot of room in the garage, once I can get the FSJ out of the way. The problem with my house is that my driveway is on such a slope that if I push the jeep outside, I'll never get it back in the garage without at least a handful of people, or via pushing it with my JK.

So anyway, I realized that the problem all along has been that I haven't been drinking beer when I worked on the Jeep. So today is my last day off work, and my wife and son are off to church this evening, so I'm going to make a push to get the old engine, trans and t/c out. Then I work for 2 days, and I have the weekend off. LOL. So maybe I will get some more stuff done this weekend.

Some pics...

I couldn't bring myself to buy the drawer liners at Sears.. So Big Lots to the rescue..

What is this.. I don't even!

The good news is that the frame behind the gas tank looks fine. Some surface rust. I'm going to scrape it and throw some paint on it, and roll on.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

It's out!

Was a very precarious operation, and should have been done with more chains and more than one person, but I live to tell the tale. My garage is a wreck. Between draining the trans, and then all the left over coolant in the block... toss in some oil dry for good measure.. oh and some rust from the gas skid plate.. yeah. I just sort of swept up what I could get in a dust pan, and then pushed everything else under the jeep and called it a day.

At this point, I would just about give away the old engine, trans, and t/case, just to get it out of my hair. Considering the lack of interest, I'm thinking it's going to be recycled in to stove top drip pans or a toaster quite soon.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

COLORADOCRAWLER

I ended up giving my whole shooting match to a guy that needed the tranny for his J truck for $100 bill. I just needed that mess out of my way and was glad it was finding its way back into an FSJ. He was happy to have a leaky but good shifting tranny plus a backup motor for his truck and I was happy to have the space. I'm in a 2 car garage too and space is at a premium. I think if you hold on to it long enough someone will want it, but who has the space and time to mess with it all? It's a great feeling when you rip her gizzard out and even better when you put the new transplant between the rails. Keep up the good work. It gets a little tedious sometimes but I can honestly say I never really got sick of this project. A little frustrated sometimes but never totally disgusted. Cheers!
-Rick

msh227

Post by msh227 »

Question for you, or anyone, what are you using to connect the power steering box to the pump? Are you going to local hydraulic shop for line and fittings?

Do you know what size threads are on the pump and the steering box?
Matt

4.56 Gears
3" body lift

Build Thread:

COLORADOCRAWLER

msh227 wrote:Question for you, or anyone, what are you using to connect the power steering box to the pump? Are you going to local hydraulic shop for line and fittings?

Do you know what size threads are on the pump and the steering box?

I used the OEM 87 Waggy lines (not sure if older Jeeps had different size fittings). Just added new O-rings and shortened the return line a little. Had to bend the pressure line into an S shape but everything fits well and no leaks.
-Rick

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

My fitting in my pump is frozen, so I'm going to keep spraying it with PB Blaster and hoping for the best.

Per AutoZone, the stock gear box is metric. So should be easyish.

My local hydraulic shop guy is a car buff too, so should I need to go that route, he should be able to hook it up.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

msh227

Post by msh227 »

These two fittings are what I'm thinking about using with SS braided hose that is rated at 1000psi. I just don't know the pressure on the power steering pump, looking that up right now.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 555-100705

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 555-100702

I believe the port is 16mm on the pump but not 100% sure. There appears to be a bracket on the pump that makes the port accessible from the front of the motor (if that makes sense). The bracket also has an electrical connector on it, wonder if I can remove that bracket?

I'm also assuming that the threads on my power steering box are 11/16"-18. This is the only problem working on the truck when it is not at my house, I can't run out and take a measurement.
Matt

4.56 Gears
3" body lift

Build Thread:

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

The gear box listed on autozone.com is metric.

Power Steering Inlet Size: 18mm X 1.5
Power Steering Outlet Size: 16mm X 1.5

Now, the 04 Sierra that I've been buying parts for....

Power Steering Inlet Size: 16mm X 1.5
Power Steering Outlet Size: 16mm X 1.5

So, that could be the biggest issue.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

lobie

Post by lobie »

I used this adapter on the ps pump. (Same as msh227)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aer-fbm2608/overview/

Then used fittings from:
http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SA ... _s/107.htm

AN fittings are compatible with 37deg JIC fittings.
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com

msh227

Post by msh227 »

What hose did you use, was it a hydraulic hose or stainless braided PTFE lined hose? Do you have a link?
Matt

4.56 Gears
3" body lift

Build Thread:

lobie

Post by lobie »

msh227 wrote:What hose did you use, was it a hydraulic hose or stainless braided PTFE lined hose? Do you have a link?
Here is a list. It includes ps pump to hydro boost (minus the summit adapter), hydro to reservoir, hydro to ps gear, gear to cooler, cooler to filter (bunch of npt fittings and barbs), filter to reservoir.

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com

6ft of : R6-06 | 3/8" SAE 100R6 General Purpose Hose (by the foot) return hose

1 of : R5-06-E06 | 90° 5/16" Hose x 3/8" Inv. Flare Male (Steel)

1 of : R5-06-686 | 45° 5/16" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female (Steel) due to back order replaced (think I changed to straight due to back order)

1 of : R5-06-666 | 90° 5/16" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female (Steel)

2 of : R5-06-606 | 5/16" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female (Steel)

6ft of : R5-06 | 5/16" SAE 100R5 Hydraulic Hose (by the foot) pressure hose

2 of : 5406-12-06 | Hex Bushing, 3/4" NPTF Male x 3/8" NPTF Female (Steel)

1 of : 5406-08-06 | Hex Bushing, 1/2" NPTF Male x 3/8" NPTF Female (Steel)

1 of : 4501-06-06 | 90° Elbow, 3/8" Hose Barb x 3/8" NPTF Male (Steel)

2 of : 4404-06-06 | 3/8" Hose Barb x 3/8" NPTF Male (Steel)

1 of : R5-06-606 | 5/16" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female (Steel)

1 of : R5-06-506 | 5/16" Hose x 3/8" JIC Male (Steel)

1 of : 5504-08-06 | 90° Elbow, 1/2" NPTF Female x 3/8" NPTF Female (Steel)

1 of : 5502-08-08 | 90° Street Elbow, 1/2" NPTF Male x 1/2" NPTF Female (Steel)

1 of : 5404-08-08 | 1/2" NPTF Male x 1/2" NPTF Male (Steel) - filter adapters

1 of : 4501-06-08 | 90° Elbow, 3/8" Hose Barb x 1/2" NPTF Male (Steel)
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

Awesome parts list. I haven't touched the jeep since the day I got the engine out. The engine is in the way, and I've been trying to basically give it away and no one wants it. Best lead is a guy wanting to trade me a rifle for it. Probably going to take him up on that deal.

Got notification that my Dakota Dash shipped from BJ's. Was on backorder for about 3 weeks. Won't be here until next Thursday or Friday. That's the only problem with BJ's. They charge real money for shipping, and ground from Wa to KY is FOREVER.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost

lobie

Post by lobie »

nester wrote:Awesome parts list. I haven't touched the jeep since the day I got the engine out. The engine is in the way, and I've been trying to basically give it away and no one wants it. Best lead is a guy wanting to trade me a rifle for it. Probably going to take him up on that deal.
On my Cherokee I listed the 360 while it was still in the jeep so the buyer could drive it. Sold pretty quick.
Club member spoke for the Waggy 401 months before I even had a plan together.

Wish you the best of luck. It gets to the point where you just want it gone!
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

Topic author
nester

Post by nester »

lobie wrote:
nester wrote:Awesome parts list. I haven't touched the jeep since the day I got the engine out. The engine is in the way, and I've been trying to basically give it away and no one wants it. Best lead is a guy wanting to trade me a rifle for it. Probably going to take him up on that deal.
On my Cherokee I listed the 360 while it was still in the jeep so the buyer could drive it. Sold pretty quick.
Club member spoke for the Waggy 401 months before I even had a plan together.

Wish you the best of luck. It gets to the point where you just want it gone!

I tried that, it was on CL about the same time I started this thread. I got some inquiries, and I don't know.. no one ever quite came through. It's like that around here. Lot of flakes. Guy I bought the NP241 from said the same thing. Lots of tire kickers and window dreamers.

Oh well, I told the guy with the rifle I'd trade him. If he doesn't come through, It's going to be turned into toasters or hub caps or something soon. :D
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2016 Ford Flex Ecoboost