Rescued: 76 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
jongreve

Re: Rescued: 76 Cherokee

Post by jongreve »

pcoplin wrote:Nice mat! Where from and what application did you order your bedliner mat for?

The place I work at manufactures some of those fancy-dancy ridiculously expensive custom fit floor mats, and I more or less just stuffed an unformed sheet of that material in my lunchbox one day and trimmed it to fit.

Depending on how well my door/wall panels look after I cnc them out this weekend, I could possibly consider wrapping them in that material as well, but that's getting a little ahead of myself at this moment in time.

I do appreciate the encouragement here, I've been second guessing myself quite a bit on some of this stuff.
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

Finally a free weekend to do some damage!

Need to make some patterns

I'm not sure what kind of seats will be used, so that area is getting passed over for now

Moving right along on the insulation front, no more floor pan mess :P

...and on to the bed covering

I'll be wanting to do something with that steering wheel soon. I'm told that it was pulled from an old Chevy truck. If I can fix the flop and repair/replace the blinker wiring harness I might be inclined to keep it, provided I can come up with some way to make it look a little better. Any ideas would be welcome.
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

My to-do list for the weekend was longer than the weekend itself. The headliner will have to be put off for a little bit longer.

This does not feel good on one's knees

Some replacement panels

installed

And a functioning glove box!

I won't have a ton of free time until after the holiday to get any big projects done so I think I'll try to get it under the carport so I can jack it up and start replacing the rubber sections of the fuel lines and start making a parts list for the breaks.
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Excellent work! Two questions: WHy are you adding rails back onto the floor? And what material did you use for the panels? I need to make some panels myself...
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

pcoplin wrote:Excellent work! Two questions: WHy are you adding rails back onto the floor? And what material did you use for the panels? I need to make some panels myself...
Panels are just ABS, 0.125" thick, probably very similar to what Men In Black sells on here in the vendor's section, I used "pearl gray" color because it was available to me and I liked it better than the other colors that I had to choose from.

The floor mat material has poor bonding properties, I do not know of any adhesives that would stick to it very well for any length of time, especially considering the wide range of temperatures that occur within vehicles throughout the various seasons. So the rails are my attempt to keep the material in place. I'd speculate that they will also help keep it from becoming torn in the event of transporting heavy objects, the material itself is only 0.075" thick.
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

September has been a slow month. I spent some time on the front driver's brakes and bearings as well as the steering column which aren't quite all back together yet.

I did get the thing moved under the carport

and the back seat returns

Spent days upon days using a sander, maybe I should have chosen something with less surface area

After a week of body work and more sanding I can finally start painting

This side has a few coats on it already, it's not turning out as nice as I had dreamed, but I'll trudge forth and see where it goes. No matter what, it'll still be an improvement over what I started with.
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Wow, you've come along way and it's looking good. I really like those panels in that color.
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Mars

Post by Mars »

Wanna trade? :)
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

jongreve wrote:This side has a few coats on it already, it's not turning out as nice as I had dreamed, but I'll trudge forth and see where it goes. No matter what, it'll still be an improvement over what I started with.
It might come out better if you keep the kids from leaning their bikes against it... :P

Looks great, keep up the good work. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

ShayneThill

Post by ShayneThill »

What is the sound blocker you mean? sound proofing thing or audio recording jammer?
Last edited by ShayneThill on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

ShayneThill wrote:What is the sound blocker you mean? sound proofing thing or audio recording jammer?
Its the silver layer he put down first. It deadens the road/ engine noise. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

ON HOLD:

The holidays are upon us, the daylight hours are getting short, and my window of opportunity has closed.

I had hoped to have the Cherokee up and running already, but the project has been in hibernation for nearly a month, and will most likely have to wait until late winter/early spring; for my time and money have other priorities now that the season has changed.

I have made some plexiglass replacement lenses for the gauge cluster, and finally got the steering column rebuilt. I will still fiddle with small tasks as time allows, but will not be around here much for the next month or two.

Happy Holidays, may all of you enjoy the season of food and family,
-Jon
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

All the best to you Jon, we'll be here when you come back...:wink:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Really great thread with some innovative processes. I don't know where you get you're not a good fabricator unless you're fishing for compliments.
:-bd
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

Here is the new lenses I made. I "splashed" both sides of an original yellowed lens with body filler to make male and female molds. I used a heat gun on some clear polycarbonate and sandwiched it between the molds.

The warm weather this week has been fantastic. I finally had enough time to get all my front wheel bearings replaced, new calipers installed, and all new hard lines ran. This had about drug on too long and I'm so relieved to be finished with the front end. (or so I think, lol)

I finally unpacked my drive-shaft that I bought on ebay, it fits nicely and would have been installed today if I were lucky enough to have received the correct parts from the local parts store.

Next I have one rubber brake hose to replace on the rear, and I'll have to figure out how to get the parking brake back together. Then I believe I'll be ready to find some tires and begin road testing to see just what I really have.
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

benjclark

Post by benjclark »

jongreve wrote:Here is the new lenses I made. I "splashed" both sides of an original yellowed lens with body filler to make male and female molds. I used a heat gun on some clear polycarbonate and sandwiched it between the molds.

Cool! Can you post more details on this process?
Lots and lots of FSJs, postings every day: http://jeep-wagoneers.tumblr.com

1973 Wagoneer (Custom), 401 - 4bbl Holley TA on Edelbrock intake, otherwise stock.

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

benjclark wrote:
jongreve wrote:Here is the new lenses I made. I "splashed" both sides of an original yellowed lens with body filler to make male and female molds. I used a heat gun on some clear polycarbonate and sandwiched it between the molds.

<snipped image>

Cool! Can you post more details on this process?

It certainly isn't perfect, but I think I still have the molds laying around at work, I'll try to get some pics and do a write-up in a new thread some time this week.

Done, link follows
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5149
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

Getting the door panels buttoned up with new speakers

Got some new lenses from BJ's

Working on a headliner

Visors back in

And the first time I've had it out of the yard :) It was only a couple block jaunt to work and back, but it's still further than it has traveled yet

1976 Cherokee "S" 401

msh227

Post by msh227 »

Sweet, it is looking good.

Maybe I missed it but is that rattle can paint for the exterior? Paint looks good, I definitely need to re-paint my J10.
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

msh227 wrote:Sweet, it is looking good.

Maybe I missed it but is that rattle can paint for the exterior? Paint looks good, I definitely need to re-paint my J10.

Rustoleum Smoke Grey, thinned and rolled. I still need to wet sand it and put on a couple more coats; and if I had it to do all over again I would not do it this way. I've seen how it can work and look good, but it requires more time, patience, and work than any sane person would ever think about doing. Whatever amount of time and work you're thinking in your head right now, multiply it by at least 3 and you'll be close. If you do all the body work yourself, you are far, far ahead of the game just to have somebody spray it. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have taken it to Maaco or something similar, but as is, I have to finish what I started
1976 Cherokee "S" 401