1977 Cherokee build.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
csuengr

Re: 1977 Cherokee build.

Post by csuengr »

This mornings activity. One mell of a hess.

I still have a bunch of hand sanding to do, but that's easy. Plus a bit more body work. But zero RUST.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

More work done. Body is in first coat of primer. Well epoxy primer and regular primer.
Image[/img]
Fortunately, I didn't need much filler, but still went through 1.5L of Evercoat to get it the way I wanted. Of course, you spray primer and you can see all the places you missed. I still have all the front sheet metal to do, but those pieces need very little body work. It's just strip and prime, with a little filler on the hood.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas792
Awesome job. So the J Truck flare was used as a unit together with the inner fender well? I have a 74 J10 but the inner fender well had a sharp edge between where the tire tread would be and where the sidewall would be (hard to explain). I'm not familiar with the Cherokee but my Grand Wagoneer seat "rides" on the rear inner fender well. Putting one in from a J Truck would be too large to let the rear seat fit properly. How does yours fit?

The Chero inner fender structure is still there. Unfortunately, I didn't listen to the squirrel in my head telling me to cut out little bits of metal at a time. I cut the inner fender of the Chero about five inches from the outside leaving a big gap. I should have cut just inside of the spot welds. This would have made things much easier because the inner structure between a J Truck and the Chero are different. I had to cut and beat the snot out of the J Truck fenders to get them close, then fill the remaining gap with new metal. Looks like Hell, but that is what undercoating is for. Would just like to mention that welding sparks going down the front of ones shirt isn't fun.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Been a while, but newer pics. The meat locker of sheet metal.

I didn't get any picks of the painted front sheet metal. I was more interested in getting it done, since the weather was closing on me.

But, I did get some of the body.

Here is the screen I am using under the cowl vent. Not only will it keep out leaves, but also mice. The cowl was one entry point for some mice. They went through the slots, chewed a hole in the fan, and came through the heater duct. They even left a leg bone from some animal in there.

I am finally putting stuff together. feels good.

I did clean, paint, and replace the foam in the heater box and the inside duct.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Started my battery box, and got it mostly done. Need to build the cover, paint everything, and install. I would show you where it goes, but outside looks like this right now,
and that is where the frame is. I'm mounting it on the frame, in case someone is wondering.

Here be the box.

It is made from 14 gauge steel. The small piece of angle is the battery hold down, I don't have the hardware at the moment to show how it goes together, and I'm tired of going to ACE, for today. :P

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I don't have any pictures, but the body is back on the frame and everything is inside. I did get my battery box put in. You can't see much, but is is very sturdy and easy to get batteries in, even though it doesn't look like it.

I got my remote shifter built.

The gear shift is cut off from a full size bronco, same one that donated the transmission, t-case, and short block. The connecting piece has oil impregnated bronze bushings that ride on shoulder bolts. The part that connects to the transmission shifter is also from the Bronco shifter. What isn't pictured is I also got the boot put on. I went to work on the t-case shifter, but I need to find my little acetylene torch so I can heat the original Bronco shifter to bend it.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Made my transfer case shifter. Needs some tweaking, as in I need to straighten it some to get more leverage.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Got started on my console to cover my work. It will meet the original armrest, less lower padding. The steel lower portion of the armrest will be turned into a recessed, uncovered storage area for nick knacks, pencils, pens, old gum, dirty tissues, whatever. The console is big enough for two large cup holders plus one other recessed hole, along with power outlets, switches, nose hair trimmer. I have no plan here, just putting wood together into a semi-planned shape. The little block just under the AC knobs is just holding it in position. Not actually part of the console.

Engine compartment pics. I still have to figure out where to put the ECU since Ford wasn't smart enough to use a sealed ECU.

The fan is from a Chevy Vortec that I made fit the SBF fan clutch. No, I am not using electric fans. Well, I will be using electric auxiliary fans for AC and if things get too hot.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Haven't been getting much done because it has decided to get cold. The garage is hovering around freezing and it is getting uncomfortable to work there, so I have been doing what I can inside.

I did get the steering shaft put in. It is an XJ shaft, both ends due to me using an XJ column. I did have to make it about four inches longer to fit, so I put it in the shaft stretcher. I am also using a Caprice steering gear, because it has a faster ratio (12:1) and also because it was lying around and in good condition.

I just have to change pitman arm, which is being stubborn.

One will notice all the room I have.
Please forgive all the hoses and wires lying around. It will be awhile before I get to them. I will also have to replace my masking tape power steering cap.

I finally, after three tries, got my front shocks mounted.
Gonna have to change my front springs. These are a bit stiff.

I also made some new door lock pulls, or whatever they are called.

I also built a box to house the ECU, since Ford wasn't smart enough to put it in a sealed housing. There isn't a good spot inside to put it, especially since I would have to cut an opening in the firewall to get the connector through, plus a grommet. It was easier to make a box.

I still have to make a top and bottom, but that is easy. The box will sit on the passenger wheel well, where the starter solenoid would usually go. Fortunately, there is lots room.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

This is the first I have ever had a pitman arm fight. My recipe was soaking for 24 hrs with PB Blaster. Put the puller on and tightened it, wanged on it with a 3lb ball peen, and nothing. Let it set for eight hours with the puller tight, hit it some more and it eventually came off. In contrast, the arm on my CJ will come off by hand.

As for the fan, all I can remember is it came off a late 90's truck. Might have been a baby Blazer. I had to take a half bastard file (that may not make it through the censors) and file the hole larger to fit over the fan clutch. You will also notice it is a reverse rotation fan, which works for this application.

I will eventually make a shroud. I am looking for a resin or glue that will hold up to underhood temps so I can do fleece, resin thing. I would really like to use a PVA adhesive since they are cheap, but they soften at around 160 degrees, or so I read. I will experiment some.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

It is now officially below freezing in the garage, but I finally got the York mounted. It wouldn't have been as hard if I didn't have to move the drive train an inch to the passenger side for transfer case clearance. Only thing now is do I want to use this York for the AC, or as onboard air. If I use it for the AC, then I don't need new lines, but I would have to find a way to get to the service ports. I would also need another York for OBA.

I got mu ECU box mounted. Kinda in the way, but saves me from having to stretch the wiring harness.

I also got the correct pitman arm on the box and hooked up the drag link. Just have to get new springs so I can re-center the axle.

Some of the locals stopped by to check my progress.

You can get to about thirty feet of these guys. Good news in the herd has split. Never more than six or eight at a time though.

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Nice work all the way around! I particularly liked the NO RUST pictures. That cold weather must be tough to work in. I like your neighbors though.
Robert

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

My hood bumper fix. The plastic nut broke into many small pieces, so I replaced it with a caged nut, which snapped right in, and a washer and jam nut.

Got my floor done. The hump is for transfer case clearance.

With the QT shifter hole filled.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Got the front suspension finished, except for some painting and tightening 19,482 bolts. The current shocks are a little long, but I had them lying around and they work for my purposes at the moment.

After lowering it two inches, my panhard bar is too long now. It isn't hard to shorten it though.
Last edited by csuengr on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Been digging into the wiring. Weather today was not as nice as they said it would be. Stupid mountain wave cloud. Anyway, since the original transmission was a TH400, I spliced the neutral safety switch wires and the backup switch wires under the dash. Pulled the three wires for the rear speakers out of the body harness. Pulled out all the voltage regulator, carb, ignition system wires from the engine harness, which left me only one wire for the starter solenoid. Then I started stringing wires to connect the ECU/engine harness to the Cherokee harness, along with the power distribution center stolen from a Grand Cherokee. I made a schematic to keep myself from getting too confused.

My rat's nest of wires.

The power distribution thingy.

Still working on how to wire the dual batteries. Every way I have found does not take into account if the main battery is almost completely discharged. In that case, when the two batteries are tied together, all the current from the charged battery gets dumped into the discharged battery, and the vehicle will not start. Here is my schematic. Before someone mentions it, the program I used doesn't have a SPST relay, and I don't feel like making one.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Back to work. Went to the ER a week and a half ago because my right knee got really sore and swollen. I have bone spurs, yipee! Had to sit around for 5 days because I could barely walk. Been exercising the knee trying to get it worked back out and can now hobble fairly well. So back at wiring and am now about 75% done. My spaghetti bowl.

The do-floppy in the middle is the vapor management valve, half of the Evap emissions system. It's controlled by the ECU instead of vacuum. The connector is there for the VSS, four wheel drive light, and Evap canister purge valve (which I haven't mounted yet as it goes by the gas tank, maybe). I am adding connectors so that when I am done, I can pull the entire external harness so I can put wire loom on it easier. No wires go through the firewall without a connector.

Also, since I painted all the front sheet metal as seperate pieces, I needed to add ground wires to connect everything.

I have about 15 hours into the wiring. It is a long, tedious process, and I still have lots to do. My new, ever growing schematic.

Bigger version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7580935...n/photostream/

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Been working on the grounds. Since I am not running a cable for the for the negative, I have to make grounding studs. I made them from stainless steel and welded them to the frame. The one pictured is by the engine and has the ground cable from the engine and also a small (8 AWG) wire from the firewall. There is another stud near where the battery will be.

Sorry for the fuzziness. It's hard to take pics from underneath.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

A little more work ans actually making progress. All the front sheet metal is fully bolted on know.

Other electrical stuff. Since I am going Ford, I put on a fuel pump inertia switch. Shuts off the fuel pump in the event of an accident. And if I even want to disable the Jeep, I just rap it with the handle of a screwdriver.

I also have, well what was a complete harness, from the 1990 Bronco I parted out. Has a bunch of these connectors, and relays (electric fans) and the bracket they snap onto. I'm using the connectors so my wire harness can come out in big pieces.

Completed (as far as running wires) engine compartment harness. Melded the Ford with the Jeep. It still looks like a mess, but it isn't.

The body harness. Not complete as I have one more wire to run (power for the amp) and some connectors to put on for the EVAP purge valve and the fuel tank pressure sensor.

Whoever invented the zip tie deserves a Nobel Prize.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

A little more wiring. I put two relays in the tailgate and ran a dedicated 10 gauge wire for power.

Topic author
csuengr

Post by csuengr »

More work on the console. The cup holder and little square dish thingy are billet aluminum. I made the shifter boots from vinyl.