1962 j-200 Thriftside Father & Son 4.0 AW4 D300 Project

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

1962 j-200 Thriftside Father & Son 4.0 AW4 D300 Project

Post by 66stepside »

About 5, or 6 years ago I spotted a gladiator truck in the very back of a neighbor's property. Over a few months, I notice it never moves. I take my son (my daughter wasn't quite ready to look at jeeps yet) and we stop by to check it out.

Here's the shot from that day. I did post this pic on a thread on IFSJA years ago.

This is my son stepping into the first shot I took of the 2wd front axle. I guess he was photobombing before it was cool.

Keep in mind this was many YEARS ago.

The guy wanted way too much for the truck, or maybe I didn't want it that bad, either way, there it sat all this time. Every day I drove by to see if it was still there, every day it was. So after my son became persistent about wanting a truck like mine, I started looking (with my wife's consent). I began selling off spare jeep parts and squirreled enough away for a cheap jeep that I could put together in 5 years or less with my son. Deal after deal fell through for one reason or another. Four different trucks, all short boxes (wife's stipulation). Eventually, I came back to this green forestry jeep. Heck, it was only three blocks away!

His neighbor was having a yard sale, so when I saw he was out in his back yard, I went up and gave him the sales pitch... We quickly agreed on a price and he said I couldn't come get it until he did a tune up, oil change, bought a new battery and replaced the fuel pump, and fuel filters.

I took these pics the day we struck our deal.

The truck was parked so close to the ford ranger, I couldn't see the vin plate because the door wouldn't open wide enough.

That was on a Sunday. Wednesday (5.8.13) he called and said it was ready. We drove over in the Wrangler and I even brought a tow rope. We did not need the rope!

So here is the 1962 (that's what the title says!) 2wd stepside, 3 sp, 305 GMC V6, posi rear end that my son and I are going to do a mild resto mod on for his first ride.

For now, the v6 is staying, we'll keep it 2 wheel drive and the first order of business it to vacuum it out! Dead hornets line the floor and dash!
Last edited by 66stepside on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

jaber
Vendor

Re: 1962 j-200 2wd Stepside Father & Son Project

Post by jaber »

Awesome... Tell your son congrats for us. He's going to have the baddest truck on campus... :-bd

Subscribed to watch. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

305's are pretty rare these days. An interesting swap for sure.

Cool truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks Jaber... I've got 5 years! It might take that long to vacuum up all the dead hornets/wasps.

Stuka, the 305 is a weird beast to stuff into an FSJ. I wouldn't swap one in by today's standards for sure- but I've already got two PM's from guys who want it if I ever decide to swap in something else. I thought that was pretty cool.

One of the junk yards has the Jeep Tornado 230, I might have to go and get that, just in case.

LMJ20

Post by LMJ20 »

Very cool, can't wait to see this come along.

I remember rebuilding my first truck with my dad. Something I will never forget.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

LMJ20 wrote:Very cool, can't wait to see this come along.

I remember rebuilding my first truck with my dad. Something I will never forget.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for, too. Thanks.

3 hours, two trips to the auto store.

New seat covers, coolant, oil change with a new filter, new belt and a whole lot of time with the shop vac!

This was the filter that was in it... The part number is obsolete.

The side of the seat has 72 grand Torino written on the side:

The pic that did not make it was of the oil gauge line that dry rotted. I replaced that while my son was manning the shop vac.

Edit:

Here's the broken oil gauge line:

Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Tell your son congrats :-bd A great start and little or NO rust!!! Now you've got ME drooling!!!
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

nc wagoneer wrote:Tell your son congrats :-bd A great start and little or NO rust!!! Now you've got ME drooling!!!

Thanks! He's pretty excited- I am too, I'll admit it. It does have minor surface rust, also some cancer spots... but not as bad as it could be!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I am sanding on the the J3000 step side fenders and thought I'd pull out a tape measure on the 62's bed.

Not quite a short bed, but not quite a long bed either.

Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

66stepside wrote:
nc wagoneer wrote:Tell your son congrats :-bd A great start and little or NO rust!!! Now you've got ME drooling!!!

Thanks! He's pretty excited- I am too, I'll admit it. It does have minor surface rust, also some cancer spots... but not as bad as it could be!
I know how bad it could be :banghead: That's why I've got a 78 cab I pulled waiting to be picked up :-bd My dad didn't say anything about what I should do, I just had to make the decision that the original cab was NOT gonna be between me and a blond teenager in high school!!! Now if only there was a way to convert rust into solid metal, then I'd be rich :D
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

nc wagoneer wrote:
66stepside wrote:

I know how bad it could be :banghead: That's why I've got a 78 cab I pulled waiting to be picked up :-bd My dad didn't say anything about what I should do, I just had to make the decision that the original cab was NOT gonna be between me and a blond teenager in high school!!! Now if only there was a way to convert rust into solid metal, then I'd be rich :D

There's a saying about that very thing- if the blonde is a girl... But it might not be appropriate. Fill in the blanks:

"If it has _ _ _ _, or tires, you'll have problems with it." I'd pick the right girl over the right jeep every time. The problem is... It's hard to tell sometimes if it is the right girl. If the blonde you referenced isn't a girl, then pick the jeep! Lol!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Aside from cleaning the windows, I swapped out a few old parts...

Out with the old...

And in with the new:

I've got a steering column lined up, but it's got to get painted 1st.
Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I would be interested in the old ones, as my 65 doesnt have those parts yet... :banghead:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Just pay for shiping and they're yours!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, the parts are slowly coming in... The carb was a CL purchase as a spare for the panel delivery, but with the carb adapter that's coming in tomorrow, the Holley 2bbl 500cfm is going the the 305 V6.

If anyone has a current paint code for the interior 211, I'd appreciate it.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Got the dash and steering column paint mixed up today. Just a pint, but when reduced and or activated, it will end up about a quart.

I like the confidential tag!

Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, the spark plugs were a bit... Fouled, corroded, and otherwise nasty.

One plug was even just barely finger tight!

The carb leaks like a sieve...

I am so used to working solo that it's nice to have another set of hands to help, although he's just learning, my son is turning out to be quite a quick study and a real work horse! He must take after his momma.

Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

We're not daft, err, draft horses, so we are done for the day on his truck- I am about to pour a draft myself, though.

Oil bath air cleaner...

The carb adapter is on, and the carb is mocked up. We put a new fuel filter on BEFORE the pump for obvious reasons (keeps floaties out of the pump) whereas the PO put one on after the pump. Replaced the battery cable heads and now I am going to put the horse out to pasture and get some sanding done.

Yeah, we brushed on some paint on the intake manifold. What can ya do?

Oh, we also bent up new lines to go from the carb to the pump.
Last edited by 66stepside on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Nice progress! Did the oil bath air cleaner come with it? Did you purchase it separately? I've never had one. Is it what goes with this engine?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I am pretty sure it stock. Jeep's 327 Vigilante also came with the oil bath filter. I am not sure what the purpose was, or is for this set up, but my plan it to retain it if possible- which means I'll need to get an adapter since the new carb is wider than the stock.

After the tune up, I'll switch out the steering column and drive it with my side kick until we're ready to paint.

I really would like to power wash it!