1962 j-200 Thriftside Father & Son 4.0 AW4 D300 Project

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

62Thriftside

Post by 62Thriftside »

Hello guys, I will be posting on this forum more due to it being closer to summer!
Last edited by 62Thriftside on Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

62Thriftside

Re: 1962 j-200 Thriftside Father & Son 4.0 AW4 D300 Project

Post by 62Thriftside »

62Thriftside wrote:This it the first time in awhile I've posted but I shall be posting more often due to the new garage floor in my fathers shop. We've needed to relocate the jeep twice, out, then back in due to the fact that concrete needed to be put in the garage. Here are some photos of various family members stepping up and helping out while my dad supervised since he hurt his back/ shoulder. It's exciting because this means i get to get back onto working on the jeep and the tired are getting a bit of use and not decaying away. We used a jack to lift my jeep up and then manually hand turn the wheels over and over again pushing forward and backwards to get it just perfectly into the space so there's room to move around on ALL sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

What!? No pics of your grandpa helping! Hahaha. It was nice to have the help. Standing around "supervising" isn't my thing.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Back in the garage means back to work!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

az chip wrote:Back in the garage means back to work!

True story! Lol, but he'll have to a lot to do on his own as the herniated disc in my neck and such is preventing my from doing much right now. Image

Last night we did sit down and re-wrote a to-do list. I always use a list, even if it's incomplete. I guess it's a motivation thing-erase them when they're done and the list gets smaller. It also teaches goal setting... like, what three things can we get done today, or by such and such a date!?

We have a completion date in writing. But no one here will be too upset if we miss it. I just want him to get his permit and start using the darn thing to learn to drive in!

az chip

Post by az chip »

That is a great project. Even if you can't wrench you can be there sometimes to guide him. Besides if he does more by himself he will value it more. And if the sister is allowed to help, win, win, and more win! My girls have wrenched on my airplane and on my Jeeps. They loved it. They started off by cleaning the oil off the belly of the plane and the Jeeps! :lol:
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

az chip wrote:That is a great project. Even if you can't wrench you can be there sometimes to guide him. Besides if he does more by himself he will value it more. And if the sister is allowed to help, win, win, and more win! My girls have wrenched on my airplane and on my Jeeps. They loved it. They started off by cleaning the oil off the belly of the plane and the Jeeps! :lol:

I'll be there to guide him for sure. He had better value it, it's a lot of work! His sister has helped a a few occasions. She doesn't want to build a jeep, she wants the Wrangler. Hahaha. So my one last build will be my daily driver to replace the Wrangler.

Wrenching on jeeps and airplanes! Very cool. Yeah, start them off with the easy stuff and work them into the more difficult stuff for sure.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I like the stance of that truck. Some period correct chrome would look great on it.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

az chip wrote:I like the stance of that truck. Some period correct chrome would look great on it.

It should look like this when it's done:

So right back to it's original look despite the ground up resto with a 1996 4.0 fuel injected drivetrain! Or so we hope.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

There's something inherently cool about a stock, old school stance. Image
Saw this scout the other day and made me think of this thread.Image

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Whoa, that's a nice Scout.

I am sooo looking forward to his jeep being done.

This AM we went out to the list and ordered the things to do on it 1-"1000" per main idea (body, engine, etc.) and he came up with getting a minimum of three things done on it every weekend so we can meet the deadline.

I think the main concern I have is the gas filler neck position. We may have to raise the bed up a smidgen to allow the hoses to extend past the frame and then graft the stock XJ gas cap to the rear driver's side fender skirt, OR cut the two gas hoses back and cut into the bed floor like I did with my 66. I'd rather not cut the bed on his truck. Maybe there's a third alternative, but only time will tell- I'm just thinking ahead so when the time comes, we'll have the answers ready.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

So it begins.

My old battery charger's cords split. So 62Thriftside learned a bit about splicing wires, soldering, and heat shrink tubing the right way this afternoon.

ImageImage

Now that he has the basics down, we'll be starting on the last little bit of of his wiring harness in order to fire her up next weekend. Then continue on the list.

He did take the bed off the blocks and now it's sitting on 1.5" rubber body mounts to allow space the gas filler hardware to fit.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

66stepside wrote:About 5, or 6 years ago I spotted a gladiator truck in the very back of a neighbor's property. Over a few months, I notice it never moves. I take my son (my daughter wasn't quite ready to look at jeeps yet) and we stop by to check it out.

Here's the shot from that day. I did post this pic on a thread on IFSJA years ago.

This is my son stepping into the first shot I took of the 2wd front axle. I guess he was photobombing before it was cool.

Keep in mind this was many YEARS ago.

The guy wanted way too much for the truck, or maybe I didn't want it that bad, either way, there it sat all this time. Every day I drove by to see if it was still there, every day it was. So after my son became persistent about wanting a truck like mine, I started looking (with my wife's consent). I began selling off spare jeep parts and squirreled enough away for a cheap jeep that I could put together in 5 years or less with my son. Deal after deal fell through for one reason or another. Four different trucks, all short boxes (wife's stipulation). Eventually, I came back to this green forestry jeep. Heck, it was only three blocks away!

His neighbor was having a yard sale, so when I saw he was out in his back yard, I went up and gave him the sales pitch... We quickly agreed on a price and he said I couldn't come get it until he did a tune up, oil change, bought a new battery and replaced the fuel pump, and fuel filters.

I took these pics the day we struck our deal.

The truck was parked so close to the ford ranger, I couldn't see the vin plate because the door wouldn't open wide enough.

That was on a Sunday. Wednesday (5.8.13) he called and said it was ready. We drove over in the Wrangler and I even brought a tow rope. We did not need the rope!

So here is the 1962 (that's what the title says!) 2wd stepside, 3 sp, 305 GMC V6, posi rear end that my son and I are going to do a mild resto mod on for his first ride.

For now, the v6 is staying, we'll keep it 2 wheel drive and the first order of business it to vacuum it out! Dead hornets line the floor and dash!
Well, well, well. I guess it's been four years since we drove her home with the GMC 304 V6. Roughly 11 months left to hit the mark. "Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne.

I'll know more about what I can do from tomorrow forward, after the appointment, but 62Thriftside mocked up the fender's this AM after he fixed the neighbor's lawn mower's motor mount bolt under supervision.

Minor adjustments may be needed.

At the MRI place they had this:

It's always good to get perspective, and count the blessings.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Tonight, after homework and chores, who's asking what can be done on his ride? Yep. 62.

So, it's 1" too long fully compressed. So a cleaning, then careful measuring, cutting down and rewelding back together. I hope I can do that, if I can't, then off to the driveline shop it goes.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Is that the drive shaft or steering shaft??

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Is that the drive shaft or steering shaft??

Front drive shaft.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Rockin! I remember drooling over those mags in the bed when you guys first got the truck.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Rockin! I remember drooling over those mags in the bed when you guys first got the truck.

Lol, they were nice! He's fitting stock hubcaps on her already. We won't be putting locking hubs on the front, so we're thinking about 1.25" wheel spacers on the jeep so it will hide the hubs under uncut hubcaps.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

We had an after-market speaker-headliner thing off of a Dodge, but it did not fit very well without major trimming. It was just too big. We did trim it back, but by the time we came close, it had almost no structural integrity, so we went back to the stock headliner. The roof is insulated, 62 nailed the template and installation.

No pics this time of that. I'm hand stitching the ending of the factory liner back on.

Meanwhile he's old enough to hit the wrecking yards with me.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »