1962 j-200 Thriftside Father & Son 4.0 AW4 D300 Project

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1962 j-200 2wd Stepside Father & Son Project

Post by 66stepside »

carnuck wrote:They don't cast the ratio in the housing. There is probably a BOM number stamped on top of the tube next to the pumpkin.

That tag says 2.72 ratio. (bottom row from the left)
Oh man, that's what I thought. Darn internet lies! ROFL!
Stuka wrote:Photos are not loading for me. But 3.21 gearing was never an option for FSJ axles. And it won't be cast into the housing. It's typically a tag on the diff cover.

That are spin the input and count axle shaft rotations. Just be sure both sides are spinning. As the spiders gears have gear reduction.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
I didn't think it was an option, but after being misled on the net, I was thinking the ratio was a special order- I was wrong again. Oh well, it's never that easy, eh?
carnuck wrote:If you are going to run the Dodge front and it really is 3.23, a 3.31 rear wouldn't be too bad with poor traction surfaces unless you run a NP219 or NP229 tcase.
I think I will go back to the wrecking yard and see if the matching dodge rear axle is a 44, or something else. If it is a 44, I will pull the innards. Maybe welding the rear differential if it's open?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

It could be an 8.25 rear too. Cherokees (XJ) started using them in '91 so lots of updates are out there for them. Welded isn't nice on the street.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

carnuck wrote:It could be an 8.25 rear too. Cherokees (XJ) started using them in '91 so lots of updates are out there for them. Welded isn't nice on the street.
Hummmmm. The mid 80's are a dime a dozen at the yard. I did pull the rear diff cover on the matching rear axle to find this:

That's a posi/limited slip, right?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I think that's trac lok but not sure. I avoid gear oil stuff and swap whole diffs so I don't have to smell it.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

carnuck wrote:I think that's trac lok but not sure. I avoid gear oil stuff and swap whole diffs so I don't have to smell it.
Yeah, I didn't think it was an open diff. I couldn't spin one side as the axle was half laying in the dirt. At any rate, I hack-sawed the ubolts, unbolted the driveline & E brake cables and pulled it out and brought it home. The 15" rims fit on it just fine. I'll finalize the measurements later, it will fit, though.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That is a Chrysler 9.25" rear axle. It was used under "Heavy Half Ton" trucks. They are a pretty decent axle, but do use c-clips.

The diff looks like it may be an auburn LSD. If you rotate it do you see a window with some springs in it? It doesn't look like a trac-lock. Those look like open carriers, just more squared off than round.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:That is a Chrysler 9.25" rear axle. It was used under "Heavy Half Ton" trucks. They are a pretty decent axle, but do use c-clips.

The diff looks like it may be an auburn LSD. If you rotate it do you see a window with some springs in it? It doesn't look like a trac-lock. Those look like open carriers, just more squared off than round.
You're good. The carrier does have a rectangular window with 4, or so, springs. I noticed it when I dragged out from under the truck. I meant to take a picture of that feature, but got side tracked after losing the differential bolts in the mud and snow. I hit up every dodge in the yard and did not find another 9.25 axle. Thanks for the ID!

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Did that Dodge axle you rescued from the salvage yard have a Vacuum Disconnect?
It looks to me in one of your pics that there is a square box and hoses hanging off of it.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The PIG Smith wrote:Did that Dodge axle you rescued from the salvage yard have a Vacuum Disconnect?
It looks to me in one of your pics that there is a square box and hoses hanging off of it.
Yes it does. It a vacuum actuated 4wd system- like locking hubs, but it engages when you shift it into 4wd, so you don't have to get out and lock the hubs. It 's a pretty funky set up, but pretty cool.

Apparently there's after-market support for bypassing the vacuum switch and installing a push button system:

As far as the actuator assembly on the housing, it can be upgraded to a manual switch:

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

Here's a couple of write ups on what to do with the stock vacuum actuated switch:
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-29.html
&
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...installed.html

I had a buddy in Reno, Stoneburner was his last name, he loved to get out and lock his hubs no matter what. I, on the other hand don't mind staying in the cab to engage 4wd- in a basic street-driven 4wd anyway.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If it was me I would just throw a single piece axle shaft in there. That disconnect does do anything for fuel economy. It really does not make any sense, even from a wear perspective. New 4wd's just spin the front axle all the time, and they still pass the stricter fuel economy standards.

2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

You have to remove the carrier (and both axles of course) to put a seal next to the carrier and it takes a special number. You need to dremel out any slag from when they made the housing to get it to fit.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:If it was me I would just throw a single piece axle shaft in there. That disconnect does do anything for fuel economy. It really does not make any sense, even from a wear perspective. New 4wd's just spin the front axle all the time, and they still pass the stricter fuel economy standards.

carnuck wrote:You have to remove the carrier (and both axles of course) to put a seal next to the carrier and it takes a special number. You need to dremel out any slag from when they made the housing to get it to fit.
I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat. I haven't figured out which way is easier/faster/economical for us. I guess, just thinking out loud, I'd opt to convert it to an in-cab switch because that seems easier/faster/economical right now. That, of course, is all subject to change if needed.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I agree on either a cable or make a push/pull switch on the vacuum motor.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

One step at a time. The step for today took four hours.

The shocks are removed, as are the brake lines, and the old steering unit/linkage are gone. I mocked up the power steering pump two ways: factory plate and this method. Neither one is a direct bolt in. But I like this one better because it sits closer to the frame rail.

I will mod this plate so the PS unit bolts from the inside, then attach it to the frame rail. While I do that, my son gets to scrub and sand!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Today we cleaned the innards of the jeep frame and the air intake space- while my son did that, I mocked up the Caddy telescoping- tilt steering column only to take it off and put it back on at least three times to trim it back to where I wanted it for me and my son. I was able to tac it into place with the factory jeep steering bracket under the dash. I plan on using the steering-based ignition, as well as the column shifter.

Final mock up and firewall placement will happen when the brake booster is installed for mock up purposes.

I did clean up the factory power steering plate just in case. Once everything is in place, it will all come back off, cleaned and painted.

Oh, I guess I won't be needing this Super Waggie tilt column:

62Thriftside

Post by 62Thriftside »

Hi, I'm 66stepside's son and I help him on the father son project. I wanted to say hello to you all and give you updates along with my father. Hello!

ross80truck
Vendor

Post by ross80truck »

62Thriftside wrote:Hi, I'm 66stepside's son and I help him on the father son project. I wanted to say hello to you all and give you updates along with my father. Hello!
Welcome to the forum. Great looking truck! Spending time turning wrenches with you dad is the best way you can spend your time. I cannot wait until my son is old enough to start working with me on my Jeep, just like I worked on cars with my dad.
Priorities
1. God
2. Wife ( Sarah )
3. Children ( Lane & Dirk )
4. Work
5. Jeep

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

85 Wagoneer, 6bt, NV4500, Black Box, NP205, D60 front, Corp 14 rear http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1446
76 Cherokee Chief - Cheap Build - SOLD http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2605
81 Jeep Scrambler http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 301#p97301

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I was wondering when you were going to join. Welcome, glad to see you here... Image
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

62Thriftside

Post by 62Thriftside »

Thank you for welcoming me here. I love working with my dad and I'm getting the hang with post on the website. :D

We are getting the dodge front axle ready to install. We bought the spring perches today and did some cutting and grinding on the axle yesterday.

My dad hammered on the steering arm to get it off. It took 40 minutes.

This weekend we are planning to mock up the dodge axle and weld the spring purchase on.

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Glad to finally see another "kid" on here. Was 12 when I got my waggy and 13 when I bought my j20. I'm 14 now. Can't help the addiction once it's in your blood.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"