1962 j-200 Thriftside Father & Son 4.0 AW4 D300 Project

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 1962 j-200 2wd Stepside Father & Son Project

Post by Stuka »

I fixed your one YouTube link above, you can fix the others if you like. The issue is you are pasting in the mobile link. It needs to be the link from a desktop browser. Or if you hit the "share" button below the video, that link should work as well. Just hit the "YouTube" button when posting and paste it between the tags.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

locomotivebreath

Post by locomotivebreath »

Lots of GMC V6 information for you here: http://www.6066gmcguy.org/
1966 J3000
1965 J200

http://www.kolossalkustoms.com

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:I fixed your one YouTube link above, you can fix the others if you like. The issue is you are pasting in the mobile link. It needs to be the link from a desktop browser. Or if you hit the "share" button below the video, that link should work as well. Just hit the "YouTube" button when posting and paste it between the tags.

Thanks, I guess that's why we pay ya the big bucks! Lol. I'll work on fixing them; it looks better that way. :ugeek:

Meanwhile, I got the leather seats from a 2003 Cadillac 4 door. Obviously front only.

18.00 bucks wasn't too bad. They did require some serious cleaning, though.

It has a third, center belt (male and female ends) so I'll think of something for the center area depending on how much space is leftover.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

locomotivebreath wrote:Lots of GMC V6 information for you here: http://www.6066gmcguy.org/

I actually joined that site as 62Stepside! Lol. I wasn't sure how they'd react to a jeep truck with their favorite engine swapped in, but they've been very cool about it. They're using some of my pics and videos on their main page.

You won't be able to see the pics unless you register, but there's nothing there that isn't posted here. The 6066 page is about maintaining the engine, whereas this page is about the build.

Here's my link: http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47562

locomotivebreath

Post by locomotivebreath »

66stepside wrote:
locomotivebreath wrote:Lots of GMC V6 information for you here: http://www.6066gmcguy.org/

I actually joined that site as 62Stepside! Lol. I wasn't sure how they'd react to a jeep truck with their favorite engine swapped in, but they've been very cool about it. They're using some of my pics and videos on their main page.

You won't be able to see the pics unless you register, but there's nothing there that isn't posted here. The 6066 page is about maintaining the engine, whereas this page is about the build.

Good deal. Cayoterun is actually a friend of mine and a really good guy. I might even have a GMC V12 or two stashed out in the shop.
1966 J3000
1965 J200

http://www.kolossalkustoms.com

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

locomotivebreath wrote:
66stepside wrote:

Good deal. Cayoterun is actually a friend of mine and a really good guy. I might even have a GMC V12 or two stashed out in the shop.

It's a small world after all. That V12 will look good in the slammed fire engine! I've heard talk of someone trying to put a 6, or 8 rotor in a FSJ... I'd like to try that one out on the streets.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Today was about the doors... Specifically, the wing windows.

Hello there!

luckily they were abandoned.

Overall, though, the doors look like they're in decent shape.

Alright, the upper retaining bracket was broke. So, unscrew the two screws about here:

Then removed a little of the gasket to access the 2 rivets. Drill the rivets out, pop the broken bracket out.

Broken bracket pops out.

Be sure to grind, or smooth the edges of what's left of the rivets on the door jamb so the "new" bracket will fit snugly.

"New" piece. Yep, drill out the 2 rivets holding this one on as well. Polish off the surface rust if you want.

The two screws I took off at the start will hold this piece on. It is threaded to retain the screws. Use some kind of thread sealer to keep the two tiny screws from backing out.

Pop out the broken lower retaining pin. Use some lubricant. Slow and steady avoids further damage to the door, or the wing window brackets!

Install the "new" window.

Now on to the other side... No pics, but same process.

Edit:

I found a needed piece while digging for emblems for the 66...

Last edited by 66stepside on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, after so many years sitting in the field with 2 broken wing windows, the door panels needed attention.

We took them off and let them lounge in the sun to make them soften up.

The backs were dry rotted and had a nasty smell to them.

We were able to separate the vinyl from what was left of the backing. I thought it was weird that one had a blue backing while the other had a tan backing.

I used dry erase board for the new backing. Industrial spray adhesive to get them to stick.

I scrubbed them, taped them up and two-toned them. The bottom half retained the factory color. The upper is desert tan.

While I was painting, my son cleaned up some spare mismatched door handles, 1414x/custom waggie/super wagoneer style. I always pull these if they're salvageable- even if it's only one.

They were painted, too; including the tips, chrome in a can! Lol.

While not perfect, pretty good for factory 51 year old skins.

Both sides are done... For now. I have a few other ideas floating around to make it more "one off", but I have to let these changes sink in. For aesthetic appreciation, always a little time... Lol.

Meanwhile... The steering collar has been polished.

The delete plate is in for now.

Painting the dash and caddy seats with the center console are next.
Last edited by 66stepside on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Major deal you got there on the Caddy seats, I'd say! Good snag. Doors look cool.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Major deal you got there on the Caddy seats, I'd say! Good snag. Doors look cool.

I agree. Spaldings Auto Wrecking is the main yard here in Spokane. They part out all new vehicles. Seats there run 100's of dollars per seat. Pull N Save is part of the Spaldings' Business, but PNS is self service and has old older rigs. Every once in awhile, though, PNS will get a newer rig that Spaldings doesn't want it because it is too far gone for salvageable parts.

Seats at PNS cost 16.00 a pair plus tax.

On a side note... If you have ever heard of the notorious Whitman Mission Massacre, the Spaldings and Whitmans came on the Oregon Trail together to set up missions to convert the local Indians circa 1850... On the way here, they had a serious fight and so the two families set up two seperate missions far away from each other. The local joke among history buffs is that the Spaldings went from saving souls to saving cars.

The Spaldings family has summer camps that are religion-based. They've been here a long, long, long time.

Mars

Post by Mars »

Good progress so far man!

Those Hercules V-6's are great engines, I had one in my 62 GMC. That thing ran like a sewing machine.
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Mars wrote:Good progress so far man!

Those Hercules V-6's are great engines, I had one in my 62 GMC. That thing ran like a sewing machine.
Yep.

Well, picked up the caddy center console today. It needs a total cleaning, but no rips, or tears. The wiring harness is complete, too. The color matches the seats.

So, clean it, mock the parts up and finalize the installation, after the dash is painted.
Last edited by 66stepside on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Well, I pulled the 1972 grand Torino seat today and after it came out along with some killer bumpin' speakers yo- what do ya know... A spot for seat belts showed up. I did not see them before as the Torino seat did not move.

So no caddy seats, I'll take them back and get my money back. For now, I'll put the reupholstered factory bench seat in there along with lap seat belts... For now.

I incorrectly thought the eyelets were someone's hack in to put lap belts into the jeeps when I first saw them on the panel delivery- but after seeing them on three different old jeeps, clearly it must've been from the factory that way. Besides, the sheet metal back there looks pretty good all things considered.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I've exceeded my monthly allotment as per photobucket's e-mail; it'll reset sometime soon so I'll keep posting!

I found a lime Green 1414x with black interior today and pulled the tilt steering column (and the chrome shifter knob- Ask and ye shall receive for the panel delivery)! And a few other misc pieces. Whenever you see a FSJ ad on CL, you gotta call! :-bd

The tilt is going onto the 62.

Vin number 1414X19 302558

I'll be going back to get the AC, carpet and push button floor shifter along with the wiring for the 4wd indicator lights, too.

We did manage to install the reupholstered black bench seat from the 65. A bit o' insulation:

So the interior colors will be green, tan and black.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The bench seat is in. We washed the lap belts And we'll put them in when they dry.

I took an inch out of the front of the brackets on both sides and a 1/2" off the back of the bracket becuase the seat seemed to sit a bit high- I guess because it's been redone. I wonder if that's the way they felt back in the day?

So I taught my son about cutting and welding today.

I found a green translucent sparkled 60's-looking one piece floor mat at the wrecking yard when I pulled the sidewinder winch housing the other day, we cleaned it up and it seems right at home in the green jeep. I layed it over the rubber matting it had in there to begin with (we cleaned it up and painted it with bumper paint). The greem mat matches the 60's green clip-on visor I had stashed away forever. I installed that today, too. But I did not take a pic of that.

Next is the tachometer Viror gave us in exchange for the vintage electronic brake controller. Thanks Viror!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Man, this waiting on pics is worthless.... :P
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

jaber wrote:Man, this waiting on pics is worthless.... :P

I felt the same way. Luckily while I was goofing around they're baaaaa- aaack. Whew.

Edit:

The speedometer cable from the White 65 got the 62's speedo up and running! Now I can get a mpg rating on the lil green beast.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Seat belts are cleaned and painted. They'll go in this weekend.

They're the basic GM style, not jeep brand. I think I have a plan to fix that.

I just need two that look good and match.

We'll see where it goes from here.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Had to put in a new starter from NAPA- they were the only ones who had it available. 5/8" bolts hold it on, even the battery cable terminal is 5/8"!

Edit:

So I parked it outside while i am tooling around in the shop and when I wrap up around 10:00 pm, I go to try the lights and they don't come on! I have tail lights, but no head lights. I check power to the light switch, it's fine. Out going power is nil. I replace the switch with a spare and lights come on. Then they ground out. I fix the ground and the lights come one again. Then they go out- again. I recheck the circuit and double check the grounds and nothing. Then I remember the last time this happened in another truck and check the dimmer switch... Incoming power, but no outgoing power. I swap the dimmer and lights are up an running again.

Here's a close up of the bad switch:

While I was at it I checked all the bulbs in the turn signal lamps and the headlight connections. The rubber gaskets looked great and the wires looked great, too.

I thought this pile of dust on the lower, inside portion of the headlight beauty ring was a bit weird.

So now I can drive her to work every once in awhile! :)
Last edited by 66stepside on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

What a good looking interior. Cool find on that green floor mat!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.