Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Re: Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Post by ProTouring442 »

jstev4610 wrote:Any pics of the shift linkage from the turbo 400 connected to your 4l60e?
I do not currently have any pics, but will gladly get some. It may be a week or two as I am recovering from sinus surgery and probably should not be laying on the ground snapping photos.
jstev4610 wrote:How much fiddling did that take to get solid?
It was basically a bolt up, but I still need to do a bit of fiddling to get all the gears figured out. This might be a shift quadrant issue (in the steering column, just below the tilt mechanism), or it may be a matter of ratios.
jstev4610 wrote:Also, did you retrofit a gm van indicator to the column? I'd love to see it.
Not yet, but it is the exact same piece as our Jeeps, only it has the markings "P-N-OD-D-S-L"
jstev4610 wrote:Also, why did you choose to not use the ecm to control the fan?
The fan module I used has the ability to bring the fan on at 50% and speed it up from there. It also turns the fan on for the A/C, and shuts the fan off over a given speed, all things that are difficult, if not impossible to do with a Gen IV ECM. Finally, by going with a separate fan control system I can tailor the settings without having to send it off to someone to reprogram as I would if the ECM were in control.

jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

ProTouring442 wrote:
I do not currently have any pics, but will gladly get some. It may be a week or two as I am recovering from sinus surgery and probably should not be laying on the ground snapping photos.

It was basically a bolt up, but I still need to do a bit of fiddling to get all the gears figured out. This might be a shift quadrant issue (in the steering column, just below the tilt mechanism), or it may be a matter of ratios.

Not yet, but it is the exact same piece as our Jeeps, only it has the markings "P-N-OD-D-S-L"

The fan module I used has the ability to bring the fan on at 50% and speed it up from there. It also turns the fan on for the A/C, and shuts the fan off over a given speed, all things that are difficult, if not impossible to do with a Gen IV ECM. Finally, by going with a separate fan control system I can tailor the settings without having to send it off to someone to reprogram as I would if the ECM were in control.
Ughh is that surgery to relieve the migraines? Thanks for the info, no need for pics, I'm familiar with adjusting the current linkage so will just trial and error figure it out. Did you try a Lokar system first or go straight to the turbo400 linkage?

Makes sense on the fan control. I'll be using a laptop connected to the ecm to tune, so can adjust on the fly and had planned on just doing that without a separate controller. Glad it wasn't some other reason that would have been prohibitive.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

jstev4610 wrote:Ughh is that surgery to relieve the migraines? Thanks for the info, no need for pics, I'm familiar with adjusting the current linkage so will just trial and error figure it out. Did you try a Lokar system first or go straight to the turbo400 linkage?

Makes sense on the fan control. I'll be using a laptop connected to the ecm to tune, so can adjust on the fly and had planned on just doing that without a separate controller. Glad it wasn't some other reason that would have been prohibitive.
We are hoping that the removal of the dozen or so cysts (biggest one was over 1/2" :shock: ) will help considerably with the migraines.

What Generation ECM are you running?

jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

Good god man, were they frontal neuroma's? My wife had serious serious migraines and infrequent cluster headaches when we were in Texas. We avoided sinus surgery at all costs, ended up moving. Lucky for us that seems to have been the simple solution, they were environmentally induced. Best wishes to recovery.

The engine is a gen4. Undecided yet on what to do with the harness when it gets here. I know you went with PCM and a new one. I might do the same, but leaning towards sending to Hartwig in Spokane since he's close. You had a connector issue with PCM, right? I would like the added length to run the modules into the cabin, but don't need a complete new harness/connections since mine will be off a 2008 with 60k miles.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

jstev4610 wrote:Good god man, were they frontal neuroma's? My wife had serious serious migraines and infrequent cluster headaches when we were in Texas. We avoided sinus surgery at all costs, ended up moving. Lucky for us that seems to have been the simple solution, they were environmentally induced. Best wishes to recovery.

The engine is a gen4. Undecided yet on what to do with the harness when it gets here. I know you went with PCM and a new one. I might do the same, but leaning towards sending to Hartwig in Spokane since he's close. You had a connector issue with PCM, right? I would like the added length to run the modules into the cabin, but don't need a complete new harness/connections since mine will be off a 2008 with 60k miles.
No, no issues with the connectors, only with certain functions that the GEN IV doesn't support as they were moved from the ECM to the BCM (cruise control chiefly among them, though fan control may have been included in this).

Jeepin Jeff

Post by Jeepin Jeff »

Don't think I noticed it anywhere, what did you use for the upper radiator hose? Was it a universal or specific to a certain vehicle? I have the same radiator for my swap and it looks like I can use the stock 02 yukon hose for the lower inlet but the stock upper upper hose isn't going to work.

Jeff
Jeff

1986 J10 - 2002 5.3/4l60e/Np241c - In Progress!
Tilt, Cruise, A/C

My engine swap started 04/2014: Check it out HERE!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Jeepin Jeff wrote:Don't think I noticed it anywhere, what did you use for the upper radiator hose? Was it a universal or specific to a certain vehicle? I have the same radiator for my swap and it looks like I can use the stock 02 yukon hose for the lower inlet but the stock upper upper hose isn't going to work.

Jeff
The upper and lower hoses came from a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 6.0. The upper is about 25 feet too long, but I used only two small portions of it. Between them, I installed a connector which has a threaded hole for the temperature sending unit for the fan controller.

Jeepin Jeff

Post by Jeepin Jeff »

One more question I have is about your exhaust, I have the flanges already but was wondering where you got your pipe? Was it a kit or did you just someone custom bend pipe for you.
Great job on your build!
Jeff

1986 J10 - 2002 5.3/4l60e/Np241c - In Progress!
Tilt, Cruise, A/C

My engine swap started 04/2014: Check it out HERE!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Jeepin Jeff wrote:One more question I have is about your exhaust, I have the flanges already but was wondering where you got your pipe? Was it a kit or did you just someone custom bend pipe for you.
Great job on your build!
The down pipe/y-pipe I made using pre-made stainless bends and straight pieces. The rest of the exhaust is the Stainless kit available from BJ's Off-Road: http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-959.htm

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Hey Bill,

Any reason why you didn't just use a BCM?

I realize you're too far now to turn back - but I'm not. The module itself is cheap. Im not sure what it would cost to make it talk with the com/tcm, but if you got one that came with your drivetrain I would think it would be fairly simple.

Just curious what you may know about this option. I'm in the sane gen iv boat...except with the 6l80e
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

ShawnQ wrote:Hey Bill,

Any reason why you didn't just use a BCM?

I realize you're too far now to turn back - but I'm not. The module itself is cheap. Im not sure what it would cost to make it talk with the com/tcm, but if you got one that came with your drivetrain I would think it would be fairly simple.

Just curious what you may know about this option. I'm in the sane gen iv boat...except with the 6l80e

Everything I could find indicated that is was neigh on impossible to get the BCM to play nice with 2/3 of its functions and 1/2 of its inputs deactivated. Also, I could find no programmer who could or would reprogram the BCM.

msh227

Post by msh227 »

ProTouring442 wrote:
Jeepin Jeff wrote:Don't think I noticed it anywhere, what did you use for the upper radiator hose? Was it a universal or specific to a certain vehicle? I have the same radiator for my swap and it looks like I can use the stock 02 yukon hose for the lower inlet but the stock upper upper hose isn't going to work.

Jeff
The upper and lower hoses came from a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 6.0. The upper is about 25 feet too long, but I used only two small portions of it. Between them, I installed a connector which has a threaded hole for the temperature sending unit for the fan controller.

Did you mention what temperature sensor you are using? What are the specs on it? I was looking for fans and came across a bunch with temp sensors that turned the fan on/off between 170*-180* which is too cool for these modern motors that operate at higher temps. Did that threaded connected come with your temp sensor?
Matt

1978 J10 5.3L/700r4/QT swap in progress.....

37x14.50R15 TOYO Open Country MT
4.56 Gears
6" BJs springs w/ BJs offroad shackles in front & 2" blocks in rear to level.
3" body lift

Build Thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2300

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

msh227 wrote:Did you mention what temperature sensor you are using? What are the specs on it? I was looking for fans and came across a bunch with temp sensors that turned the fan on/off between 170*-180* which is too cool for these modern motors that operate at higher temps. Did that threaded connected come with your temp sensor?
I forget exactly where the inline radiator hose connector came from, but here's one from Jegs: http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/22 ... OgodZ1sA9Q

You'll cut the 1" sections off to eliminate the restriction they make.

The temperature switch is really a sending unit that supplies the temperature to a Painless #30141, F5 Single 70 Amp Fan PWM Controller. This will soft-start the fan and bring it to 50% power at whatever "on" temperature you set. As the vehicle's temperature rises, the unit increases fan speed. It also bypasses the temperature setting when you turn the A/C on, and allows a settable speed at which it no longer turns on the fan.

msh227

Post by msh227 »

ProTouring442 wrote:

Here are the gauges I will be using.

This past weekend while installing my harness I was wondering how new gauges would be wired to the system. Could you explain what your plans are to attach them to your PCM? Another member on here mentioned that the CAB-BUS plugs directly into the OBD2 port. Just want to start the research process for when gauge swap time comes.

Thanks
Matt

4.56 Gears
3" body lift

Build Thread:

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

msh227 wrote: This past weekend while installing my harness I was wondering how new gauges would be wired to the system. Could you explain what your plans are to attach them to your PCM? Another member on here mentioned that the CAB-BUS plugs directly into the OBD2 port. Just want to start the research process for when gauge swap time comes.

Thanks
That's correct. Just ensure whomever makes your harness includes the CAN-HI and CAN-LOW lines that go to the ALDL (or whatever they call it these days). You can splice into these to supply the information to the gauges.

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

ProTouring442 wrote:
msh227 wrote: This past weekend while installing my harness I was wondering how new gauges would be wired to the system. Could you explain what your plans are to attach them to your PCM? Another member on here mentioned that the CAB-BUS plugs directly into the OBD2 port. Just want to start the research process for when gauge swap time comes.

Thanks
That's correct. Just ensure whomever makes your harness includes the CAN-HI and CAN-LOW lines that go to the ALDL (or whatever they call it these days). You can splice into these to supply the information to the gauges.
Do you know if this is the HIGH SPEED GMLAN SERIAL DATA (+) and (-) wires? I have two wires designated as this...and I wasn't sure if they are for the OBDII or the tap-up(+) and tap-down(-) for the 6L80 tap shifting...

Thanks,
Shawn

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Shawn, the Can-Hi and Can-Lo are called GMLAN by GM. Should go to terminals 6 and 14 of the DLC. They are not for the tap-up/down of the transmission.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

msh227

Post by msh227 »

j20owner wrote:Shawn, the Can-Hi and Can-Lo are called GMLAN by GM. Should go to terminals 6 and 14 of the DLC. They are not for the tap-up/down of the transmission.
What is the DLC? Is that one of the plugs (Blue or Red) that plug into the PCM?
Matt

4.56 Gears
3" body lift

Build Thread:

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

I assume the DLC is the data connector aka OBDII

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

msh227

Post by msh227 »

Hmm looking at pinouts on lt1swap.com I am not seeing Can-Hi, Can-Lo, or GMLAN. Maybe I'm overlooking it or they have it named as something else. Only wires that go to OBD2 following the website are Serial Data from PCM (pin 2), Ground (pins 4 & 5), and 12V+ Battery (pin 16).

Oh well, I was browsing Speedhut gauges and I'm thinking about going with the GPS speedo and will use individual sensors for the other gauges.
Matt

4.56 Gears
3" body lift

Build Thread: