Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Post by ProTouring442 »

Welcome to my build! Well, welcome, at least, to the start of it.

I'll be starting with my 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It currently has its stock 360 and 727 transmission, backed by the NP229 transfer case.

Exhibit A:

It's pretty much rust-free, with a few hail induced dings and a rather tweaked hood (it came open at some 35mph :shock: )

My plans (comments welcome!)

Drivetrain
-LY5 5.3 (from a 2008 Silverado)
-4L60E (2008 Silverado)
-NP229

Interior
-Thunderbird Turbo Coupe front seats
-Custom console
-Custom dash
-A/C from a 70's Chevy truck

Body
-Wide Trac flares
-Maroon paint
-Custom woodgrain
-Suburban 42 gallon tank
-Raised rear floor (2"-3") to accommodate tank.

Wheels/Tires/Suspension
-31" or 32" tires?
-15" wheels? 17"? 18"?
-Stock height? 2" lift?

So there you have it. Comments are welcome! Thoughts, problems I might have missed, and ideas are all welcome.
In the meantime, I'll post up parts, thoughts, and questions as I order and receive parts.

FSJ Guy

Re: Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Post by FSJ Guy »

A raised floor will look funny with the rear seat folded up. The 91 S10 Blazer tank fits perfectly back there and does not hang below most trailer hitches. Yes, it's only 19-20 gallons. But you'll be sipping fuel (relatively) with that 5.3L and overdrive. :D
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

FSJ Guy wrote:A raised floor will look funny with the rear seat folded up. The 91 S10 Blazer tank fits perfectly back there and does not hang below most trailer hitches. Yes, it's only 19-20 gallons. But you'll be sipping fuel (relatively) with that 5.3L and overdrive. :D
True, but then again, the floor looks kinda funny when you remove the back seat. :D

Which actually bring up another of my plans, a raised section that can be installed in place of the back seat to make a flat floor from front to back for hauling stuff.

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Well, you said comments are welcome, so I recommend getting an 8 piece bucket from KFC for dinner. Get mac&cheese and mashed taters for your sides. The coleslaw isn't the best. As far as your build plans go, you got a green light on my end. Looking forward to some updates!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

A question of size...

There seems to be a better selection of tire sizes available for 16" and 17" wheels as opposed to 15". I have found a 16" I like (example below).

My question is, do you see any reason to go with a 17"? The Ultra's, as pictured above, are only available in 15" and 16".

Thanks!
Bill

Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

ProTouring442 wrote:A question of size...

There seems to be a better selection of tire sizes available for 16" and 17" wheels as opposed to 15". I have found a 16" I like (example below).

My question is, do you see any reason to go with a 17"? The Ultra's, as pictured above, are only available in 15" and 16".

Thanks!
Bill
I really like this wheel. Would look good in either 15 or 16, I think. Tires are also cheaper (relatively speaking) than in 17. 'course 31/10.50 and 32/11.50 are always available in 15's.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

I was thinking more of the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 275/70R16. This size actually carries a 500 treadwear rating.

On a related note, I picked up a good set of rear Wide Trac flares, a good hood, and a set of front flares (for parts), and my engine should be in town this week. :D

Topic author
ProTouring442

Re: Bill's Build, The List

Post by ProTouring442 »

The first list...

LY5/4L60E.............................................Ordered...........2008 Chevy Silverado
Modify Harness.......................................TBD................Wayne Hartwig/Diff Wizard (suggestions?)
Engine Mounts........................................Ordered...........JeepinPete
Transmission Mounts...............................TBD
Transmission Seal Kit..............................TBD
Transmission/Transfer Case Adapter..........Ordered...........Novak/BJ's
Transfer Case Seal Kit.............................Ordered...........Ebay Vendor
Radiator................................................Ordered...........Griffin '67-'69 Camaro LS Swap (Summit)
Radiator Fan..........................................Ordered...........Lincoln Mark VIII (Ebay Vendor)
Radiator Hoses......................................TBD
Fuel Tank..............................................Ordered...........'97 Chevy Suburban-42 Gallon (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Pump/Sending Unit..........................Ordered...........'97 Chevy Suburban (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Lines.............................................TBD.................PTFE Lined Braided Line
Fuel Filter/Regulator(?)...........................TBD
Shifter Linkage......................................Ordered............FSJ Turbo 400 (ScottsMojo)
A/C-Heat Unit........................................Received..........'70s Chevy Truck (Integrated Heat-A/C)
A/C Evaporator......................................TBD.................'79 Firebird
Heater Core..........................................TBD.................'70s Chevy Truck
A/C Condenser......................................TBD
Transmission Oil Cooler...........................TBD
Transmission Cooler Lines.......................TBD
Power Steering Lines/Adapters................TBD
Driveshafts...........................................TBD

I am sure there are many more things I need, that are not listed here. Still, if anyone thinks of something that I missed, please let me know.
Last edited by ProTouring442 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

I found Advanced Adapters had an adapter for my Chevy tranny to Jeep transfer case that I liked. You might take a look. I hope to install my motor mounts from Pete next weekend. I'll keep up with your build, good luck.
Robert

jstev4610

Post by jstev4610 »

I had a lot of trouble sourcing new wheels with proper backspacing so I don't need wider axles or spacers. Ended up with Mickey Thomson Classic's, 16x8, 6x5.5, 3.625 backspacing. I put 245/75/16 tires on it (30.5" diameter, 9.8" width), no rub at 4" lift. I look forward to seeing your engine, transmission progress, and what you end up doing with the dash and console.

[ O o \\|// o O ]

Post by [ O o \\|// o O ] »

In decem ibi libertas!

Freedom in ten?
What does this mean? I've searched the web but nothing really stood out to me.

Thanks for the PM.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Updates...

LY5/4L60E.............................................Ordered...........2008 Chevy Silverado
Modify Harness.......................................TBD................Wayne Hartwig/Diff Wizard (suggestions?)
Engine Mounts.......................................Received..........JeepinPete
Transmission Mounts...............................Ordered...........Ebay Vendor
Transmission Rebuild Kit..........................Ordered...........Transtech
Transmission/Transfer Case Adapter..........Ordered...........Novak/BJ's
Transfer Case Seal Kit.............................Received..........Ebay Vendor
Radiator................................................Received..........Griffin '67-'69 Camaro LS Swap (Summit)
Radiator Fan..........................................Received..........Lincoln Mark VIII (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Tank..............................................Received..........'98 Chevy Suburban-42 Gallon (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Pump/Sending Unit..........................Ordered..........'98 Chevy Suburban (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Lines.............................................TBD.................PTFE Lined Braided Line
Shifter Linkage......................................Ordered............FSJ Turbo 400 (ScottsMojo)
A/C-Heat Unit........................................Received..........'70s Chevy Truck (Integrated Heat-A/C)
A/C Evaporator......................................TBD.................'79 Firebird
Heater Core..........................................TBD.................'70s Chevy Truck
A/C Condenser......................................TBD

The engine saga....

Last week I got a call from the shipping company, my engine/transmission was at the depot, ready to be picked up. Except it was in North Carolina. I emailed the vendor, reminding him that it was to be shipped to the depot in Louisville, TN. He apologized, saying that he didn't know why he'd sent it to NC, and that he would get it moving in the right direction, asap.

So I get a call this week letting me know that the engine/transmission is now in Louisville... you see where this is going, right? You got it! It's in Louisville, KY.

I email the vendor, who about flips. The miscommunication is between him and the shipper, and it will be headed toward the correct depot asap.

It seems my engine/transmission will soon be better traveled than I am!

The good news is that the vendor has been great, His communications with me are prompt, and relevant. He has even refunded me $100 for the trouble.

But I would like my engine now.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Updates...

Engine Mounts.......................................Received..........JeepinPete
Transmission Mounts...............................Received...........Ebay Vendor
Transmission Rebuild Kit..........................Received...........Transtech
Transmission/Transfer Case Adapter..........Received...........Novak/BJ's
Transfer Case Seal Kit.............................Received..........Ebay Vendor
Radiator................................................Received..........Griffin '67-'69 Camaro LS Swap (Summit)
Radiator Fan..........................................Received..........Lincoln Mark VIII (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Tank..............................................Received..........'98 Chevy Suburban-42 Gallon (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Pump/Sending Unit..........................Received..........'98 Chevy Suburban (Ebay Vendor)
A/C Evaporator......................................Ordered............'79 Firebird
Heater Core..........................................Ordered............'70s Chevy Truck
A/C Condenser......................................Ordered............Polar Bear Inc
Gauges................................................Ordered............Speedhut
Transmission Rebuild Tools.....................Received............Ebay Vendor
Wheels................................................Ordered.............Jeg's (Ultra Wheel Type 50/51)

If all goes well, I'll have the engine/transmission here on Monday or Tuesday. Then I can send out the harness/computer to be modified. I looked into ways to vent the fuel tank, and it looks like the best and cheapest way will be to pick up a purge canister from the salvage yard, and have the computer guy leave the purge function operable.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Subscribing! Loving all the 5.3 builds lately! Cant wait to start one! I like how you got evwrything listed that is gonna be very useful for lots of us someday, thank you!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

I have my engine! Everything looks to be in good order too. Tomorrow I will be rebuilding the transmission, with pics and description to follow.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

We have progress!!

The engine arrives!

Out with the old... (oh, it's for sale too!)

Air Conditioning mock up...

Behind the dash...

In with the new...

Clears the firewall nicely!

Notes: The JeepinPete mounts were PERFECT! I mounted the engine 1" forward of the original forward holes. By doing this, the transfer case is within an inch of its original mounting, and thus the linkage fits with no issues. Also, no driveshaft work is needed! :D The Turbo 499 shifter linkage was spot on.

Stay tuned!

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

Nice! That's some good progress. Thanks for posting all the parts.

Where is this work being done? Looks like FSJ heaven.....

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Strode182 wrote:Nice! That's some good progress. Thanks for posting all the parts.

Where is this work being done? Looks like FSJ heaven.....

My backyard. So far, the weather has been very kind!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Fuel tank is out, along with the skid plate... both are in great shape, so they'll go in the "For Sale" section. Zero rust on the frame too.

Worked on modifying the A/C box, and firewall for the big A/C-Heat install.

No pics today... nothing really to see.