Willys Wagon Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
JeepinPete

Willys Wagon Build

Post by JeepinPete »

Oh, where to start...

As some of you may remember, I had a decent Cherokee in which I swapped a GM 5.3l into. Put about 25k miles on it. Rather than leave well enough alone, I decided to swap an Isuzu diesel into next. Ran out of steam, and ended up parting the truck. Stupid, stupid, stupid :banghead: Really wish today that I had left well enough alone.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to build a Willys wagon. Looked for awhile in my part of the world, but even rust buckets brought way too much. I ended up finding a complete Willys body sans frame or drivetrain in AZ for half of what a rotten out piece of trash goes for around here. My buddy Joe and I drove out a couple Easters ago and drug it home. The first three pictures were in AZ, the last was back home in PA. We drove 30 hours straight to AZ, and 36 hours straight back.

My plans at the time were to build a custom frame and suspension. I went through many designs, but in the end my job took over my life and the Willys sat.

About a year after we drug it home, I came across a deal for a NOS Cherokee. I bought it with the plan to put it back together. Again work got in the way, and rather than let it sit, I sold most of the parts that came with it. I kept the frame, suspension, tires and axles. The axles consist of rebuilt D60s with ARBs, alloy shafts, and disk brakes front and rear. The suspension is custom SOA springs. And the frame has been blasted and painted. And the tires are new 35" Kevlars on 17" aluminum wheels.

While I had the Cherokee, I decided I wanted to give it diesel power. I found an Isuzu 6BD1 for a song. For those not familiar with the engine, think Cummins 6BT, only smoother. I built an adapter to mate it up to a NV4500. As it turned out, a small block Mopar pattern works best with the Isuzu, and I found a SB Dodge NV4500 with a passenger drop NP241D on craigslist.

So now I have a pile of parts that don't really go together. I have no 4X4, and I am missing playing in the woods. What's a guy to do? Make 'em fit (insert evil laugh :lol: )
Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ :D
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Topic author
JeepinPete

Re: Willys Wagon Build

Post by JeepinPete »

So here is the plan. I have a perfectly fine FSJ chassis, and servicable Willys body, and a couple options as far as engines go. The Willys will be mated to the FSJ frame. I have started making frame mounts to line up with the Willys tub. Once the mounts are tacked to the frame, I will pull the body so I weld them up. Here are a few pictures of how it fits on the FSJ frame:

The engine is the item I am wrestling with at the moment. I have the Isuzu. Pluses are it is diesel, purely mechanical, known for MPGs, and its dead nuts reliable for 500k miles. Negatives are it is heavy (over 1000 pounds), it is long, it is not a power house (though a turbo can fix that). The length is the big one in my mind. It will not fit without a considerable fire wall notch. Not that I have any issues chopping out the firewall, as the previous owner did most of the work for me already :roll:

The other engine choice is a Dodge Magnum 5.2l. The last wheeling trip I did was in my '98 Durango. That was the last time it was on the road. Took out the trans playing in the swamps of the Jersey Pine Barrens. There is nothing wrong with the engine, as I pulled the drivetrain to replace the trans, and I completely resealed the engine. I in effect have a donor sitting out back.

Pro's are it is relatively light, durable, makes alright power, and is shorter than the Isuzu. Negatives are they get lousy MPGs and it is fuel injected. Not certain I want to deal with that this time around.

I would combine either engine with the Dodge NV4500 I acquired. Give me your input on the engine, I am curious what other folks think...
Last edited by JeepinPete on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Subscribed!!! Hope this makes it to completion!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

frank n texas

Post by frank n texas »

I need a drink after all that... :shock:

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I Cannot wait to see where this one goes- man does it look like it will be a keeper! Subscribed!

Topic author
JeepinPete

Adapter design

Post by JeepinPete »

Ok, here is some cut and paste from the Cherokee thread on IFSJA...

I designed up the engine to trans adapter. It really could not have worked out better. Dodge mounts their starter directly to the bell housing, so I do not need to deal with that. The starter is on the driver's side, which works out much better with the Isuzu. There is nothing on that side of the block, other than the exhaust pipe.

So the adapter plate will simply be two bolts patterns drilled into a plate of aluminum. And a cutout to clear the starter. I will need to redrill a Dodge flywheel, and turn an index to press into the back of the Isuzu crank that will mimic the index of the Dodge crankshaft.

I have not modeled up the Dodge bellhousing yet, so there is a gap between the engine and the transmission.

Pete

Topic author
JeepinPete

Adapter build

Post by JeepinPete »

More cut and paste...

Block still isn't painted, but I have managed to make the trans adapter :D

You are looking at a 1900'ish Brown & Sharpe horizontal mill. No one wants these old things, so they are cheap, but work plenty well. Sound familiar? Unfortunately, mine is a bit small for this project. It took some creative jiggling to get the holes drilled, and I could not ream the dowel holes. There isn't enough space between the spindle and the table. I ended up opening up the holes clearance holes and reaming the dowel holes on the drill press.

Once I got done with the holes, I needed to remove a good chuck from the plate. I do not have a vertical bandsaw, and did not want to try to do it on the mill. I have to give props to Bosch. One of their "Progressor" line of blades did all the cutting. Keep in mind this is 1.25" thick plate. And to my astonishment, the cut is square within 1/32". I highly recommend their jig saw blades!

Added a cutout for starter clearance:

And a test fit on the back of the Isuzu. The Dodge pattern is perfect, the Isuzu, not so much. The bolt holes are good, but the dowel pins aren't even close. So much for second hand info :banghead: I will have to bore out the dowel holes and plug them. I plan on bolting the plate to the engine and indicating the bellhousing until it is centered to the crank. I'll replace the dowel pins with a transfer punch of sorts, then put the plugs in and use the transfer punch in the block to mark the plug for the hole location. That is unless someone else has a better idea. (I'm all ears on this one)

Pete

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

JeepinPete wrote:...My buddy Joe and I drove out a couple Easters ago and drug it home. The first three pictures were in AZ, the last was back home in PA. We drove 30 hours straight to AZ, and 36 hours straight back.

Hard to believe that was over 3 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwjNpdWJuUg
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Looks like fun to me. :fsj:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Tad wrote:
Hard to believe that was over 3 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwjNpdWJuUg
Yes it is. It really sucks when life gets in the way of having fun :banghead:
Pete

Topic author
JeepinPete

Body Mounts

Post by JeepinPete »

I have started mods to the frame to bolt up the tub. I am starting with 2x4x.125" steel tube, slicing and dicing, and adding a wedge of .125" plate to a make these up. Probably more work than necessary, but what the hell :-bd

The welds were done with my Marquette mig welder, which really is maxed out on .125". I sold off my old Airco stick welder and used the proceeds to buy a Hobart 210 MVP :D That should hopefully here next week. I am making a run to the steel yard this weekend to pick up stock for the other mounts and bumpers.
Pete

BigBlock91

Post by BigBlock91 »

Sweet build!
1988 Grand wagoneer. Ford 460, t-18, np205 it's ALIVE

Topic author
JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Got some work done this weekend. Started hacking up the body a bit. The rear wheel wells were already messed with, so I have no qualms cutting them some more. They are opened up to the edge of the inner fenderwells. The wagons are prone to rot in this area due to the double wall that collects junk. Now that I cut that out, there is a bit of a gap. I need to build fenders due to state laws, so that gap will be taken care of at that time. I also cut off the rear lower sheet metal. It was beat to heck, and will be covered up by a future bumper anyway. Lastly, the left rear quarter was smashed beyond repair, so it went too. I still have the right side to do, but I have to move the truck over to get enough room to work. The barn is tight quarters.

Keep in mind this was an Arizona truck until I bought it...

I also got a couple more body mounts made. My new welder is due in tomorrow, so I will be able to get these tacked onto the frame pretty soon. Once they are all done, I will pull the body to gain better access for final welding.

Pete

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

JeepinPete wrote: Keep in mind this was an Arizona truck until I bought it...
But its only surface rust... :P

It looks awesome, cant wait to see which engine you are going to use. The more I plot and plan for mine, the more I'm liking the idea of a 4.6 stroker. Should push my little wagon around very nicely.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Been picking away at it, and hour here, and hour there. Tonight I finally started welding the body mounts to the frame. Got five of them in, one more to go before I can lift the body up and slip the rubber mounts in place. Once there, I have two more to weld in. Those do not fit right now due to a folded pinch weld on the tub. Once all that is done, I only have four more to make and the mounts for the tub are done :P

Still have figured out how I am going to mount the grill. I am hoping something comes to mind one of these night...

Before welding:

After:

110v fluxcore wire. I do not have 220v in this part of the barn. Once the mounts are all on, I will pull the frame and drag it around to the other side and hopefully do a little better :-bd
Pete

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Coming along :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

On the grill, I plan to make my own front splash pan out of thicker material and incorporate the mount under it. On the FSJ frames, the steering box is directly under the grill and does not give a lot of room for the PS lines.

It looks good on paper anyway... :P
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

I haven't worried much about the grille. It is not sitting quite right because the body is a bit too low to the frame. Once I get the body mounts in place, and slip the rubber bushings in, I'll get the grille squared away.
Pete

Topic author
JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Been making a bit of progress.

Start of the rear bumper:

Some more of the body mounts:

I cut the back of the frame 5" and repositioned the rear cross member:

Started patterns to modify the front tub mounts to make up with the frame brackets:

Pete

Topic author
JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Started turning the pattern into metal tonight:

Bent up:

First fittings:

About ready to weld in:

Now to make another for the other side. Once that is done and both are welded in, it will be time to lift the tub back off the frame. I need to drag it around to the front of the barn to weld everything up right. While I have it over there, I plan on dropping the drivetrain in and fabbing up motor mounts, and figuring out what exactly the trans crossmember is going to look like. Then I will drag the works back to the body and drop it down to figure out what and how much of the floor and firewall need to be annexed to clear. Feels good to actually make a bit of progress.
Pete