Willys Wagon Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
JeepinPete

Re: Willys Wagon Build

Post by JeepinPete »

Ain't done much since the last post. June was a complete lose, and July hasn't been any better. But at least I got a couple weeks away from work :-bd

The only "progress" has been sourcing factory parts to rebuild the Isuzu engine. Got very lucky and found a guy selling NOS cylinder kits for the 6BD. $200 for all six sets :shock: The Isuzu diesels use cylinder sleeves, so rebuilding one does not require block machine work. Simple pull the old sleeves and press in the new ones. Factory fresh bores :-bd The kits come with the sleeves, piston, rings, rod bushing and wrist pin.

Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ :D
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Topic author
JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Been plugging away at this thing a little bit at a time. I've decided to focus on getting the drivetrain in. In order to do so, I need a few things in place. First off, I needed a big hole in the firewall :shock:

The firewall was hacked beyond fixing, so no big deal. The front floor also need replacing, but that will wait until the engine is in place.

The other item I need is the grille, radiator, and intercooler assembled and in place. I need these so I can position the engine properly. The radiator and intercooler are out of an Isuzu NPR. They came as a set. The radiator has two steel U channels than run down either side. The intercooler mounts to these channels. I hacked a fair amount of sheetmetal out of the grille so that the intercooler fits right up again it. The Isuzu radiator is much taller than the Willys grille, but this will not be a problem. There is plenty of space side to side in the Cherokee frame, and the bottom of the radiator sits about even with the sway bar.

From the factory, the Willys grille mounts CJ style with a single bolt at the bottom center of the grille. This does not work with the FSJ frame. So I am doing things differently. I am going to make up a couple brackets that will be welded to the radiator channels. These will be outriggers that will sit over the frame rails. I will weld a nut into the top of the frame rail and bolt the grille down much like it is done on any other FSJ. They Willys grille will be bolted to the radiator channels. The front sheet metal will basically hang from the radiator structure.

Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ :D
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

ChiefBigB

Post by ChiefBigB »

Looks great!

Eugene 1

Post by Eugene 1 »

can't believe I missed this

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Eugene 1 wrote:can't believe I missed this
Ditto. This is definitely on my list of dream builds. Subscribed
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Well, you missed it because it has not been posted on for 1.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

The question is, has he done anything to it???
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Stuka wrote:Well, you missed it because it has not been posted on for 1.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

LOL good call. Also realized I was already subscribed. :funnypost:
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

PlumCrazyChris

Post by PlumCrazyChris »

Pete, any finished pics of this incredible build? I'd love to see how the interior turned out.
PlumCrazyChris
1990 Grand Wagoneer (new project)
1983 Cherokee Limited (sold)
1979 Cherokee (sold)
Round Rock, TX