Half door

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Half door

Post by Shagoneer »

I was thinking about getting a second set of doors from a broken down wagoneer and turning them into quick change half doors. Has anyone done it/ have any advice for me.
In the market for a new FSJ

Blazer3664

Re: Half door

Post by Blazer3664 »

Been thinking the same thing here, just haven't figured out anything for the quick change part yet.
I even have the extra set of doors.

You cant get to the hinge pins on our rigs like you can an old chevy. I knew a guy years ago that made some quick pull pins (think 3-point hitch pins on a tractor) so he could pull the doors of his K5 real easy.

Our doors are heavy enough it will be a challenge.

I will be watching to see where this goes.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

bigun

Post by bigun »

Been pondering this delima for few years and still ain't come up with a good solution

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

The back doors would be easy its the front thats giving me problems. I was thinking about cutting the hinge from the door and then making a bracket that would be bolted to the door and just sit on top of the hinge arm.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

There is nothing quick about removal or installation of our doors. :-(

You would have to re-align the door each time you remove the stock hinge. Alignment is allowed for on both the door and body side of the hinge mount.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I wasnt planning on taking off the entire hinge. The hinge would remain attached to the body and the other half would remain attached to the door, I was going to figure out a way to cut the hing in half and use cotter pins to hang the door onto the hinge. That way I'd only have to adjust the door the first time and then it should just set in the correct position.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

It's been done at least twice judging by the two wagoners I've seen on this (or the ifsja site). It would be cool to find a way to have an easy way to swap out the doors without the issues of aligning and realigning them. Whoever does find the way, show the rest of us the pic heavy build for sure.

j20brett

Post by j20brett »

The quick change part is not very easy for sure. The best way to do it would be to weld in guides so that the door could be aligned in the exact same spot each time. Pic of how i cut my doors to keep the factory hinges.

"Kaiser" - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

skunkape87

Post by skunkape87 »

anyone here ever ride the fsj doorless? ive been thinking about doing this for the summer just wanted to get some thoughts