1988 GW windshield washer

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jasonjoli

1988 GW windshield washer

Post by Jasonjoli »

I am new to the Grand Wagoneer and I went to check the washer fluid the other day and noticed that there is no washer fluid reservoir in my Grand Wagoneer. Would this have been an option or most likely it was remove somewhere along its lifespan? I have found a hose that doesn't appear to be hooked to anything which I assume is for the reservoir it goes up behind the wiper motor. I can't tell where the washer fluid would be dispensed from. Does it come directly from the wiper or should there be a nozzle somewhere that I should be looking for?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Re: 1988 GW windshield washer

Post by Jasonjoli »

Update, I successfully located one of the metal tubes for the driver's side that is under the fresh air cowl. I seem to be missing the passenger side. Does anyone reproduce these? Or selling used?

letank

Post by letank »

Jasonjoli wrote:Update, I successfully located one of the metal tubes for the driver's side that is under the fresh air cowl. I seem to be missing the passenger side. Does anyone reproduce these? Or selling used?

you are better off using some more modern nozzle, the GW nozzles are squeezed tubes that are 1) impossible to clean, 2) impossible to adjust, and as you have discovered 3) the nozzle can be squeezed by the hood

I used the one from the early FSJ, probably before 1978.

As for the reservoir, 1) they tend to crack at the seam (RTV works), 2) when the water pump attached to the reservoir it is really hard to find a motor that fits and that stay on the reservoir without leaks, (again more RTV to seal the rubber gasket)
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Post by Jasonjoli »

letank wrote:
Jasonjoli wrote:Update, I successfully located one of the metal tubes for the driver's side that is under the fresh air cowl. I seem to be missing the passenger side. Does anyone reproduce these? Or selling used?

you are better off using some more modern nozzle, the GW nozzles are squeezed tubes that are 1) impossible to clean, 2) impossible to adjust, and as you have discovered 3) the nozzle can be squeezed by the hood

I used the one from the early FSJ, probably before 1978.

As for the reservoir, 1) they tend to crack at the seam (RTV works), 2) when the water pump attached to the reservoir it is really hard to find a motor that fits and that stay on the reservoir without leaks, (again more RTV to seal the rubber gasket)
I ended up ordering a new reservoir and motor from Team Grand Wagoneer rather than messing with old brittle plastics. I'm sure I will still need to do some rtv work. I was thinking of going to a modern nozzle with a flex tube.

mlaver

Post by mlaver »

I got these nozzles that go on the wiper, plastic tube that come with it fits right over the metal tube, seems to be working so far. Dorman 924-5101CD Heavy Duty Wiper Nozzle
L.