Wagoneer ran out of gas on 1/4 fuel reading

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Wagoneer ran out of gas on 1/4 fuel reading

Post by Jasonjoli »

So I am new to the Wagoneer world. Got an 88 Wagoneer about two weeks ago and got a hard lesson that a quarter of a tank of gas means empty! Cruising along the highway the day before Thanksgiving and Wagon runs out of gas. No warning light nothing. Coasted to the breakdown lane on 95 southbound West of Boston in the worst possible spot. Luckily I didn't get killed by a semi coming around a blind curve with a narrow shoulder. So needless to say a fix is high on my priority list.

Is there a fix for the fuel misreading? Will a new sending unit do the trick or is there something better aside from carrying a can of gas in the back seat.

Looking for any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SJTD

Re: Wagoneer ran out of gas on 1/4 fuel reading

Post by SJTD »

I'd start by determining if it really ran out or just couldn't pull the last 1/4 tank.

How much did it take to fill it up or did you just add twenty bucks worth?

There's an access hole under the rear seat where you can get to the wiring or remove the sender for troubleshooting.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

New sending units are about 2” short. Add an extension to the end of the pickup tube and adjust your float arm.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Both of these replies are good. Adding to them, if both check out okay, then you have a sending unit issue.

If a new sender does the same, then lust learn the trick for old vehicles. Know where empty actually is on the gauge and fill up accordingly.

I also figure my average mileage every fill up so if my gauge dies, I know based on how far I've driven before a fill up is warranted.
Did this on my old Dodge truck I had for several years. A sender/pump combo was outrageous.
Since the efi pump part worked, I couldn't justify spending $300 on one just for the sender. Never was stranded.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Post by Jasonjoli »

dodgerammit wrote:Both of these replies are good. Adding to them, if both check out okay, then you have a sending unit issue.

If a new sender does the same, then lust learn the trick for old vehicles. Know where empty actually is on the gauge and fill up accordingly.

I also figure my average mileage every fill up so if my gauge dies, I know based on how far I've driven before a fill up is warranted.
Did this on my old Dodge truck I had for several years. A sender/pump combo was outrageous.
Since the efi pump part worked, I couldn't justify spending $300 on one just for the sender. Never was stranded.
Thanks for the replies. I've had a couple of studebakers with fuel indicator issues so I am familiar with logging the milleage, just looking for a better fix since this is my daily driver. For now I will keep a pad of paper or log it in my phone until I can figure a fix. I assume 10mpg is a good estimate for milleage and with a 20 gal tank I will plan to fill up every 200 Miles

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I always figure 10. However, I know for a fact mine is pretty consistent during the warmer months (50* and up). I can bank on 13+mpg with mine. I know I've driven 230 miles and still had a reserve. Though, my gauge is correct and was sitting on the edge of 'E'. 200 miles would be a good initial ballpark, though I would log miles and correct it accordingly. BJ's offroad has the sending unit you would need.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

letank

Post by letank »

Jasonjoli wrote: will plan to fill up every 200 Miles
It is a 20 gallon tank... so every other gas station makes sense.... just kidding, in town it is for sure 10mpg, but on the highway, 12mpg is a good estimate... I try to keep it close to 180miles

Even a new sender may not fix the accuracy of the gauge. I replaced the sender... it was different...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Fill up at 1/2 full, every time, without fail, and you wont be walking. Old Chevys have the same problem, and my first car was an El Camino. Walking home in the rain at midnight sets the lesson hard.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor