83 cherokee build/first time jeep

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Re: 83 cherokee build/first time jeep

Post by Hawkeye_Cherokee »

I think I can make small patches. Not bad enough to need whole panels

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

So my "solid" starting point is getting crustier and crustier as I get farther into it Image the window holding tracks are SHOT! Can these be purchased or am I gonna fab my own? And the vent glass frames are rough and one even broke all the way! Not sure what to do about that. A ripped door brace and 3 stripped torx door bolts was just icing on the cakeImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Bought an 01 Yukon for the 5.3 donor today....no turning back now! Time to buy motor mounts and make some REAL progress.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Was in the shop from noon Saturday till 4 am sunday. Got back after it this afternoon. Dropped gas tank and got the 3 inch rough country spring lift put on. Took a little modification that I didnt expect but wasnt too bad at all. Then this afternoon tore into the Yukon.

Yukon is damn near ready to have the motor pulled. Just need to unbolt transfer case and some crossmember stuff then get the cherry picker to work. The hood is huge so that'll make for some good floor patches! Gotta start parting that bad boy out now. Thinking I will probably use the seats from the Yukon in the cherokee. It's got a number of other things I can use, dome lights, dash controls, rear view mirror, etc.... then what's left over is getting parted out.ImageImageImageImageImage

2500HD

Post by 2500HD »

I used an 00 yukon as well. The seats from mine wouldn't work without modifying the trans tunnel. I also kept the np246. Didn't have to clock it or modify the stock cross member. I was even able to modify the stock amc trans mount.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

2500HD wrote:I used an 00 yukon as well. The seats from mine wouldn't work without modifying the trans tunnel. I also kept the np246. Didn't have to clock it or modify the stock cross member. I was even able to modify the stock amc trans mount.
Dang! The power seats in it are comfy as hell I was hoping they would fit with some custom brackets

az chip

Post by az chip »

Do yourself a favor and paint the engine bay now.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

az chip wrote:Do yourself a favor and paint the engine bay now.
My plan is to stick the engine and trans in to get everything fit etc... then pull drivetrain back out and paint firewall and engine/clean up trans and transfer case

az chip

Post by az chip »

Good plan!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Got my haynes manual in the mail finally! Main use is going to be for wiring diagrams. Also got my engine mounts from Novak in the mail! Christmas is over but I still have a wedding to go to this weekend and family coming for new years so I probably wont get the 5.3 out this weekend like I had hoped ImageImage

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Also getting ready to buy gas tank and all the fun stuff related to that. Planning on the blazer tank in the spare tire location. Can anyone point me to a thread that breaks down that process!? I've been doing alot of searching and still have some unanswered questions

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Welp....the Yukon made me bleed as much as the jeep so far. Smoked my knuckle right on top of my fresh scar from jeep wrenching Image o well the 5.3 is out of the Yukon time for some big progress!!! Learned some important things about pulling a 5.3 that's for damn sureImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Been a while but its finally time to roll the Yukon out and bring the Cherokee back in the shop. Took the whole front half wiring out of the Yukon....that sucked and I still need to pull the wiring for the seats but that can happen later. Next step for the jeep is getting motor mounts in and starting the drivetrain fit process!Image

letank

Re: 83 cherokee : Window channel

Post by letank »

Hawkeye_Cherokee wrote:So my "solid" starting point is getting crustier and crustier as I get farther into it Image the window holding tracks are SHOT! Can these be purchased or am I gonna fab my own? And the vent glass frames are rough and one even broke all the way! Not sure what to do about that. A ripped door brace and 3 stripped torx door bolts was just icing on the cakeImageImage
Apparently, as posted in 2014, the window channels are not avail anymore, Jim suggested using the tailgate channel and doing some cuts

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6763

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

]Bj's will be selling the window channels soon I believe....

https://www.facebook.com/bjsoffroad/pho ... =3&theater
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Got some big progress made. Threw the Novak motor mounts in and the 5.3 and 4l60e dropped in the jeep nice and easy. Gotta drill a couple holes in the old jeep crossmember to bolt the Yukon trans mount to it. Next on the list is figure out fuel system and cooling system. Planning on leaving the clutch fan on and buying the Novak radiator. Fuel system is going to be a 91 blazer tank for sure but I could use some advice on fuel pump and sending unit from anyone who has run the blazer tank before.ImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

Got my new 91 blazer tank in the mail so I threw it up with some strap steel just to start fitting things. Decided to cut off the little ears from the spare tire area so the blazer tank would fit a little more square. I read through some threads online that you can use the blazer sending unit with a pump for a Corvette so I'm going that route. Still gotta decide on a regulator. Probably run a braided line kit from summitImageImageImageImage

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

I like the lift kit you added, not to tall but good for 33'' tires. What brand is it and does it come with shocks?
Vendor? That's what I would like to put on my 89 wagon.

Topic author
Hawkeye_Cherokee

ScramblerCJ8 wrote:I like the lift kit you added, not to tall but good for 33'' tires. What brand is it and does it come with shocks?
Vendor? That's what I would like to put on my 89 wagon.
It's the rough country 3 inch lift. What I bought was leafs hardware and shocks, but I added steering stabilizer and drop pitman arm to my order. I'm pretty sure I just bought it off the rough country site.

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Thanks for the info, I will add it to the list of parts for the build.